Matthew 16:25

davedavidson

For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

As someone who experiments with supplements too much and is probably too concerned with optimizing health how do you find balance? I often get a feeling that can be described as guilt for being overly concerned with my health, am I alone in this regard? I believe everything material in this world is illusionary, I have trouble reconciling this with my obsession with solving every minor health problem I have.

Peatful

how do you find balance?
Serving others or being other’s focused

Im not talking martyrdom or giving dutifully
Just
Less self…

Acts 20:35

Nfinkelstein

TBH your post sounds more like you are trolling us but --- since you are quoting the Bible then I would counter with Ephesians 5:29 "For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church"

I have been on this forum for a few years now, and I would like to think many (most?) of the people here are trying to nourish and cherish their physical body.

youngsinatra

I‘ve been reading some books on the epidemics and pandemics of our human history and it’s been really eye-opening.

People were faced with death on a semi-daily basis. It’s been a really different world back a few hundred years ago! I always thought that people were perfectly healthy 100-1000 years ago, but no, people were dying like flies. Life expectancy was 35 years in the 1600s-1700s.

Many saints died prematurely due to acute or chronc infections or other ailments. They always kept death and the afterlife on their mind. (Memento Mori)

I know some saints were so sick, but served so much that they chronically sleep deprived themselves to do more.

In that light of historical context, the Bible’s passages seem much more appropriate to me.

Last edited:
For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

As someone who experiments with supplements too much and is probably too concerned with optimizing health how do you find balance? I often get a feeling that can be described as guilt for being overly concerned with my health, am I alone in this regard? I believe everything material in this world is illusionary, I have trouble reconciling this with my obsession with solving every minor health problem I have.

1 Timothy 4:8
For physical training is of some value (useful for a little), but godliness (spiritual training) is useful and of value in everything and in every way, for it holds promise for the present life and also for the life which is to come.

1 Corinthians 6:19
Do you not know that your body is the temple (the very sanctuary) of the Holy Spirit Who lives within you, Whom you have received [as a Gift] from God? You are not your own,
1 Corinthians 6:20
You were bought with a price [purchased with a preciousness and paid for, made His own]. So then, honor God and bring glory to Him in your body.

Mad

You are not alone. I have felt the same “guilt”. My prayer is often that God will just shut the door if I’m on the wrong track with focusing on all this health stuff ( not just if the health info is wrong but if the micro focusing is wrong). The guilt is totally legit…it’s like feeling like I can “save myself” through health research when I know that I can never save myself truly and it’s like what is this all really for in the end?, so then you think yeah if I spent all this health research time and energy in the church or in the word then maybe it would be more pleasing to him, produce more fruit and be better for me anyway?
So I have no other advice than to pray about it and if you need to stop focusing on it he’ll let you know.

Peatress

I believe the day I landed on Ray Peat's website was a miracle. It took time to figure out where I'd gone wrong with my health. Now I am understanding how evil some of the health care practices are, taking care of my health feels right - it feels like I am doing God's work. I feel the opposite of guilt taking care of my health. Even if I don't succeed in reversing the damage - I will always show gratitude for having the ability and willingness to try.

If you’ve been deliberately targeted for elimination then living is an act of defiance.

Last edited:

There is so much nuance in that sentence... saving "your life" is not so much about the physical organism.off.course one has to keep it healthy,its a sign of inteligence and it would be stupid not to take action. Not to take action seems like the old christian adage that you should sufer for your sins. Again,nonsense. One is autonomous and should do.whats right. But the sentence is related to saving the ego,an ilusional process created by the brain. The more you ate ego oriented the.more you are far from god.the meaning of being poor in the, christian tradition is related to the kenotic practices of self abandonment,self emptying,silence. That silence is not really an absence,you see,,language being dualistic cannot express a dimension that is holgraphic and One. Saving ones life is living on the repetitive,dualistisc,fragmented perception,confrontational perception,authoritarian perception, hipnotic,these are all characteristics of ego movement. But there is anothet movement in the mind that is atemporal,ego is time,memory,knowlede,you have finctional ego the one that takes care of its.body,and disfunctional.ego, the pride,desires,excess pleasure pursuit, the pursuit of power and dominance. Functional ego and eternity go together,there.is a burst on the.mind that destroys every corner of humankind history you have on your mind. Ressurection is that,incarnating here and nowporto in anothet dimension,the unknonw. Buy there is.no path to the.unknown,no goal,no.merits,no achievment,it arises when you as the me completely vanishes,let it go. It happens when you are totally attentive without naming and using language,when you listen sounds,seeing,at the same time. Wichever has ears listen. Just listen the sounds without naming it. Its very simple. Whenever you are feeling some emotion,wich is the past,memory,thought,the momeny you look at it,allow it,let it be,it disapears without effort. Feeling.sad? Dont analyse,just observe,no name,no continuity,it disapears in the moment. Dont escape,thats the crux of.itLove.we escape all the timeé. We never watch ourselfs,our book. Dont search,search is for mundane knowlwdge,for god.needs no search,he his already.here,you are.just looking and being, ocupied with your.sadness,anger. Just be. Feel your body,the alivenss of it,listen,watch,taste,no naming. There is peace,all all the, other, gifts,telepathy,healing,etc. Its fun,life becomes fun andhour abundant.

There is so much nuance in that sentence... saving "your life" is not so much about the physical organism.off.course one has to keep it healthy,its a sign of inteligence and it would be stupid not to take action. Not to take action seems like the old christian adage that you should sufer for your sins. Again,nonsense. One is autonomous and should do.whats right. But the sentence is related to saving the ego,an ilusional process created by the brain. The more you ate ego oriented the.more you are far from god.the meaning of being poor in the, christian tradition is related to the kenotic practices of self abandonment,self emptying,silence. That silence is not really an absence,you see,,language being dualistic cannot express a dimension that is holgraphic and One. Saving ones life is living on the repetitive,dualistisc,fragmented perception,confrontational perception,authoritarian perception, hipnotic,these are all characteristics of ego movement. But there is anothet movement in the mind that is atemporal,ego is time,memory,knowlede,you have finctional ego the one that takes care of its.body,and disfunctional.ego, the pride,desires,excess pleasure pursuit, the pursuit of power and dominance. Functional ego and eternity go together,there.is a burst on the.mind that destroys every corner of humankind history you have on your mind. Ressurection is that,incarnating here and nowporto in anothet dimension,the unknonw. Buy there is.no path to the.unknown,no goal,no.merits,no achievment,it arises when you as the me completely vanishes,let it go. It happens when you are totally attentive without naming and using language,when you listen sounds,seeing,at the same time. Wichever has ears listen. Just listen the sounds without naming it. Its very simple. Whenever you are feeling some emotion,wich is the past,memory,thought,the momeny you look at it,allow it,let it be,it disapears without effort. Feeling.sad? Dont analyse,just observe,no name,no continuity,it disapears in the moment. Dont escape,thats the crux of.itLove.we escape all the timeé. We never watch ourselfs,our book. Dont search,search is for mundane knowlwdge,for god.needs no search,he his already.here,you are.just looking and being, ocupied with your.sadness,anger. Just be. Feel your body,the alivenss of it,listen,watch,taste,no naming. There is peace,all all the, other, gifts,telepathy,healing,etc. Its fun,life becomes fun andhour abundant.
Sorry the typos,my cell phone is wrecked.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It’s good that you’re thinking about this instead of blindly assuming health goals are always good/innocent. It can definitely be tricky sometimes to know if we putting health goals before God, family and our responsibilities. For myself I know that I really need a certain level of health to fulfill all of my obligations and be the best version of myself that I’m able to be but periodically I have to step back, check myself and reorient if I notice my health pursuits are taking center stage. I have to remind myself periodically that God and my family must always come first. I’m far from perfect just striving each day to do my best. Congratulations on looking deeper.

chickasawlane

Forum Supporter

I know from my own experience, “peating” may help you achieve good health and metabolism for temporary periods of time, but it sounds like you, and many others, are trying to solve spiritual issues through peating. It will never happen. You cannot supplement your way out of spiritual issues. All you can do is to be aware of them. Only God can solve them for you.

I learned many years ago that spirits take hold in us in the form of thoughts and emotions. This is why it’s mentioned in the Bible to take all thoughts captive. (2Coronthians 10:5).

Before I found Ray’s work, I had found “The Silent Prayer” (
View: https://youtu.be/JKe31L04Rl4
), recorded by a man named Jesse Lee Peterson. I realized I had very deep rooted anger, and I was aware of this, I just did not know how to overcome it. His message helped me to understand how to overcome the evil within. It all started with going to my parents and apologizing to them for judging and hating them. After that, I started doing “The Silent Prayer” routinely every morning and night, and learned how to be truly conscious and aware of myself throughout the day. This is known as “Praying Without Ceasing” (1Thesselonians 5:17.)

To pray, is to be aware, without any judgement.

Overtime, I became aware of what was driving me internally, and as I was overcoming things, I came across Ray’s work, which explained so much of my life. I obsessed over his work, and would rely and trying different stacks and experimenting over time to try to “rid” myself of the thoughts. I’d have a great metabolism for a few days and the thoughts went away. Metabolism slowed down, and they would all come back. Or, I was doing well health wise, and something happened in reality that caused a reaction in me. I was relying on having an “optimal metabolism” to deal with situations, masking the anxiety I was facing.

Ultimately I came to realize that no matter if my testosterone has tanked, estrogen is running wild, I’m PUFA ridden, and my thyroid slowed, any and all thoughts that come into my mind are are the devil, and not real. If I fall into my mind and believe them or interact with them, I will fall further into darkness. Even when my thyroid is firing on all cylinders, I know all thoughts, and anything that takes me out of the awareness of the present is sending me back into unconsciousness. Christ wasn’t taking hormones and watching his calcium:phosphorus ratio when he was nailed to the cross, and he STILL never gave up his Spirit.

Take a good look at yourself and see if in your heart, you truly want to overcome this, and truly want to know God. He will certainly open up the doors for you if that’s the case. Stop guilting and judging yourself. Thats certainly not from God. That’s a thought from the devil trying to keep your ego alive.

Seek first the Kingdom of God and all will be added unto you. (Matthew 6:33)
I wish you well.

Center for action and contemplation is a good organization to watch and follow. Their perspective on christianity is really interesting,far ahead of the common one. It gives you healthy,non nonsense picture.
I dont see again any problem in inproving health. There is the yogic tradition that reinforces this perception. But to deep and search for truth,beware. Its not as plesant as some picture it. Its far from feeling comfortable,feeling secure. Its a total plunge into yourself and has no end. Deep inquiry,observation,sensitivity,inteligence,resilience,passion,are primary things. There is no path,no method,only deep observation. But you can observe with the self and also observe with no self. Observe with memory or without memory. Every time to start anew. Silence is just a way of saying that thought.becomes irrelevant,not inportant and then the.mind functions on a diferent level,thought becoming secondary. The so called devil,there is no devil,is part of the sacred movement also,no dualism. How.can one inprove without evil thoughts? Just explore,there is really no right or wrong. Explore. Make.mistakes. learn. Go on.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals