Damngoodcoffee's Journey

I said somewhere I'd report on my vegan experiment, so hear we go. And some general stuff about my life as well.
So I've been 95% vegan since the beginning of this year. I was a bit scared to really give it a go, because of my previous horrible experience with veganism, but I'm glad I did.
I feel like I've found what works for me.

Let's back up a bit.
I started to think about diet and health etc about 10 years ago. I'm 26 now. Ever since I was a child I've had horrible bloating, constipation, and problems with physical and mental energy. At about 15 I started to experience depression and problems with my genitals. I started to have weird and really unpleasant leakage of sperm. At first it started to happen a lot during the night, then during the day when I had an erection, then it started to happen without erections. It was only a little sperm, but enough that my penis felt wet all the time. It was accompanied with this weird feeling of weakness and extreme sensitivity in my penis. This is what triggered my depression. I was so confused about the whole thing, I felt so alone with my problem. I spoke to a doctor about it once and he basically said it's normal and it'll go away. This was also a time when I had fallen in love for the first time, and my problem really made it hard for me to be in a relationship. As if being in one for the first time isn't hard enough in itself, especially during teenage years. It made life so unpleasant that I started to think about suicide for the first time.
Looking back at it all, I now know this was all a good thing, cause it really made me focus on my body and listening to it more and more. Oh and I also started experiencing erectile dysfunction and low libido at about 18 years old.

All this trouble put me on a spiritual journey too. I couldn't focus on any of the so-called normal things like school and work etc. I started to have a massive desire for liberation of some sort, hunger for enlightenment. A deep deep restlessness in my soul. Enlightenment became the only thing I really cared about. I was utterly obsessed with it. Health and diet was the other obsession. I knew that diet would help me to heal my problems. I've never had a real job. Being obsessed with finding out the truth, in spirituality and in diet, has been my job. I've experimented with all sorts of different things under the sun, and I've had to admit that I was wrong many many times. This has helped me to develop an honest, non-dogmatic approach. Although I've been more dogmatic before than what I am now, I still think I've always had this deep honesty with myself, that if something feels off, I know I have to change something. It has been a long difficult road, stumbling in the dark. Absolute hell at times.

When I found Peat's work, even though it seemed really difficult to understand at first, I could sense that this stuff isn't like all the other nutrition gurus etc. There was this clarity, honesty and love in his work. Coconut oil, carbs, salt, I just knew that this stuff is legit. And it actually made me feel better, more calm and focused, not this crazy rollercoaster ride of mood/energy swings like most other dietary advice out there. And my awkward genital problems started to get better.
But still, I've had problems with mood, energy, digestion etc. I've done tons of experimenting with different types of Peaty ways of eating and never felt like I've found what works. You probably know what I mean. ;-) Oh and after finding Peat I've still experimented with non-Peaty things as well, like fish oil and low-carb for example, but always kept coming back to Peat.

The last few months I've felt zero desire for animal products. Plants just feel more like food, animal products are sort of weird. And I really like the idea of not having to sacrifice animals. Especially after last summer, when it was made undeniably clear to me that Christ is real, my love for everybody, including animals have grown. Also the scriptures confirm that plants are our primary food. I'll still eat animal products occasionally if I'm in a social situation where maintaining my "veganism" is too much of a challenge. I don't care about belonging to some club anyway.

So yeah, I started this "Peaty vegan" thing as an experiment to see is it really possible to even feel ok as a vegan. Like I said, I was a little scared to do this because previously veganism ruined me. But I'm glad I did. Previously when I tried veganism I ate mainly whole grains and legumes, which had not been soaked, nor cooked enough. Now it's more centered towards roots, tubers and fruits. Everything really well cooked, other than good fruits. I haven't felt this good even for a day or two before, and now I've been feeling awesome for weeks and months. I feel like I can finally just relax with the diet stuff and focus on other things, like making music. This way of eating feels really enjoyable, easy and fun to me. And like I said, I feel great. My mental clarity is the best it has ever been, my libido is stronger than ever, yet balanced, my erections are rock hard consistently (TMI?), bowel movements effortless, great digestion, less body odor, great sleep, my singing improved a lot, way easier to get out of bed in the morning, blood sugar super steady.

My theory is that when a persons own vitality isn't that great, we have to steal the vitality from animals. For example if the body can't produce it's own cholesterol, we have to get it somewhere. I've definitely felt this deep need for animal products before, but I don't now. And trust me, I'm honest with myself. I think forced veganism is really harmful. If I start to feel bad and crave meat and eggs, I'll eat that stuff for sure.
The hormones in all animal products are a suspect to me. Animal products make me feel more confused in the head, lower my libido, make my skin greasier, give me body odor, are harder to digest, make me feel cold and more hypoglycemic.

I've been eating:
-potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, carrots
-refined pasta, bread and white rice
-fruits juices, dried fruits
-cucumbers, broccoli
-I've even been eating some whole grains and beans, which gave me horrible problems before, but now I eat them only if really well soaked and really well cooked, I like them and they're cheap
-coconut oil, salt, sugar
-coffee
-nettle tea
-licorice, dark chocolate
-b12 supplement

Through the years I've had all sorts of problems with my body and my mind. I've been without hope, without any sense of even the most basic safety. I've felt so horrible, I didn't have any idea a human can feel so bad. So alone, so cold, so sad, so broken, so lost, so mad.
I feel so happy, healthy and grounded now, it's awesome. So free of shame, fear, guilt. I've learned to love myself. I feel alive. Obviously there's other things to it than just the diet, but diet is really important too. I think there's a synchronicity to it all, my understanding of health and spiritual things has grown hand in hand. Not one thing in this world is an accident, Most High is in control, and He's a love so great that one of these days it will sweep you off your feet. It takes a while for us even to start to accept how great the love is, it's more than you can ever imagine. The bible exposes you to your own heart. Love will win, it's an eternal truth. This world builds you up to tear you down, God tears you down to build you up.

Thanks for reading!

sunraiser

Thanks for sharing your story.

The hardships you've felt but also the relief and freedom you're now able to feel at times really comes across in your writing.

Through the years I've had all sorts of problems with my body and my mind. I've been without hope, without any sense of even the most basic safety. I've felt so horrible, I didn't have any idea a human can feel so bad.

I can relate to this feeling. Like before feeling that way you couldn't possibly fathom such a state of horrendousness could exist. But living through it gives you a constant appreciation for any moments of happiness and light that you feel. Keeping perspective might have to be a practice the longer you feel better, but I'd imagine those things stick with you for an awfully long time.

Gone Peating

"This world builds you up to tear you down, God tears you down to build you up" beautifully put

How are you doing today @damngoodcoffee ? Spiritually and diet-wise lol

OP
damngoodcoffee

Gone Peating

Could you give me some typical meals you like to eat?

I'm going to be fasting for the next month and could use some good ideas.

Most of the stuff I find online is just way too time intensive to prepare. And even though I could do it, I do want to eat more than just plain white sweet potatoes and fruits and veggies

OP
damngoodcoffee
-Usually breakfast is some whole grain porridge, soaked for about 12h, well-cooked, coconut oil, salt, sometimes fruit.
-Lentil soup, lentils soaked 12-24h, cooked 1-2h with carrots, potatoes, onion, garlic, coconut oil, salt, thyme, black pepper.
-Well-cooked potatoes with lentil soup as sauce.
-Pasta with tomato sauce, onion, herbs, garlic, salt, coconut oil,
-Juice

It's a lot of soaking and cooking for a long time (especially if on a budget), but when done well everything digests fine and I feel great. Whole grains and legumes always well soaked and well-cooked. I eat refined grains too. I'm not a great cook and I have a simple taste but a good soup is quite easy to improvise. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom