Maltodextrin. Safe Or Totally Evil?

squanch

It's just partially hydrolyzed starch, I don't really see why it would be evil?

I've used it in the past to increase calories. The only reason I stopped was because I felt bad about eating a completely micronutrient devoid carb source. Never had any negative reactions to it.

OP
smith

smith

Cool. This is reminiscent of MSG, which is just the sodium salt of glutamic acid that got demonized by pharma-funded natural health blogs

Last edited:
OP
smith

smith

Interesting. Why would they fund such sites?
Probably to create more patients. For example, veganism became a huge trend pretty recently, and I think we've all heard the stories about someone who followed some fad 'natural' diet that was based on erroneous ideas, especially like a raw vegan one, who developed all these crazy health issues like hypothyroidism and are now trying to recover.
*cha-ching!*

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Probably to create more patients. For example, veganism became a huge trend pretty recently, and I think we've all heard the stories about someone who followed some fad 'natural' diet that was based on erroneous ideas, especially like a raw vegan one, who developed all these crazy health issues like hypothyroidism and are now trying to recover.
*cha-ching!*
:): Makes sense.

Lurker

I don’t know about impurities but maltodextrin in and of itself is fine. It’s just a long chain of glucose molecules loosely bonded. Depending on the exact product Maltodextrin can have a very high (>100) glycemic index so very quickly breaks down to pure glucose. The advantage is that it doesn’t taste very sweet. It’s used as the main ingredient (~70%) in exercise energy gel products (Gu) for the quick blood sugar hit along with fructose to replenish liver glycogen. This stuff absolutely will digest if that’s your concern.

Carrum

I tried a maltodextrin based weight gain powder many years ago. I had it for breakfast one morning and headed off to work. A few minute up the road, I suddenly burped without any warning but my mouth was closed. Stomach acid went up into my nostrils. It was horrible and really wasn't what I needed while I was trying to negotiate a very busy roundabout. lol. I had never experienced acid in my nostrils before in my entire life so I stopped taking the supplement and never had that horrible experience ever again.

OP
smith

smith

I tried a maltodextrin based weight gain powder many years ago. Stomach acid went up into my nostrils. It was horrible
Considering it was a 'weight gain' powder which sounds like something bodybuilders use, it was probably a concoction of other toxic shyte with terrible interactions which contributed to that

SOMO

Maltodextrin is processed starch and has the same "glycemic index" as white sugar.

It is fully absorbed very quickly.
It is often not used for nutritional value, but rather for its bulking properties. Like starch, it keeps pills and powders from sticking.

Even if the maltodextrin is derived from GMO-corn, none will be left over in the maltodextrin.

The amount of Maltodextrin used in commercial products is insignificant.
Also Maltodextrin is different than Dextrin. Don't fret over maltodextrin, especially if the product it's in is healthy otherwise. Once in a while, I will consume a minimally processed whey protein powder and maltodextrin is usually an ingredient in many whey powders. I have noticed no negative health effects from maltodextrin-containing foods.

Lurker

Maltodextrin is processed starch and has the same "glycemic index" as white sugar.

It is fully absorbed very quickly.
It is often not used for nutritional value, but rather for its bulking properties. Like starch, it keeps pills and powders from sticking.

Even if the maltodextrin is derived from GMO-corn, none will be left over in the maltodextrin.

The amount of Maltodextrin used in commercial products is insignificant.
Also Maltodextrin is different than Dextrin. Don't fret over maltodextrin, especially if the product it's in is healthy otherwise. Once in a while, I will consume a minimally processed whey protein powder and maltodextrin is usually an ingredient in many whey powders. I have noticed no negative health effects from maltodextrin-containing foods.

Glycemic index of white sugar (aka sucrose, table sugar) is much lower (~63) than dextrose which a disaccharide from two glucose molecules. Sucrose is a disaccharide with one glucose and one fructose molecule. Once lysed the glucose is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream but the fructose goes to the liver so takes longer to get into circulation. Maltodextrin is just a longer chain of glucose molecules so also has a very high GI.

lvysaur

This is reminiscent of MSG, which is just the sodium salt of glutamic acid that got demonized by pharma-funded natural health blogs
MSG is unfairly villified.

However, excess glutamate is a problem. This can come not only from MSG, but also tomato sauce, potato chips (torula yeast), soy sauce, wustasher sauce, many types of mushrooms (oysters in particular), etc.

It's also unfairly associated with Chinese restaurants, when the worst offenders I've seen are Italian places, especially if the dish has a creamless "white sauce"

LadyRae

How can maltodextrin have a high glycemic index when it is bound to sucralose in a zero calorie product?

Lurker

How can maltodextrin have a high glycemic index when it is bound to sucralose in a zero calorie product?
I think that’s “zero calories per serving”. Maltodextrin is a long chain starch that easily breaks down to glucose. There are different grades that are used that vary on glycemic index. It’s used as a bulking agent for many foods.

LadyRae

I think that’s “zero calories per serving”. Maltodextrin is a long chain starch that easily breaks down to glucose. There are different grades that are used that vary on glycemic index. It’s used as a bulking agent for many foods.
Thanks for responding!🙂

Candeias

Direct impact of commonly used dietary emulsifiers on human gut microbiota

"Some of the strongest effects we observed were from maltodextrin, which is not classified as an emulsifier by regulatory agencies but yet have emulsifying properties which impacts food surface characteristics [12]. Maltodextrin impacted several parameters we tested including microbiota density, composition, gene expression, and, perhaps consequently, expression of pro-inflammatory molecules. Such results are consistent with accumulating evidences demonstrating the detrimental impact of maltodextrin on the intestinal environment [9, 10, 30]. However, it should be pointed out that this polysaccharide is thought to be very quickly digested to glucose and absorbed in the small intestine and thus may never have the direct impacts with colon bacteria that we sought to model. Thus, discernment of whether the impacts observed really relate to maltodextrin’s impacts in vivo requires further investigation."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals