How Is Friendship Cottage Cheese Not Getting Sued?

Cirion

I think that applies to macros, not listed ingredients. The attached image is the classic example. Zero calories from pure fat. Also, note the serving size.

Yeah I don't know the threshold and I don't know if it only applies to specific products or not. I'm the wrong one to ask. Just repeating something I thought I recalled him saying.

Mossy

I think that applies to macros, not listed ingredients. The attached image is the classic example. Zero calories from pure fat. Also, note the serving size.
Wow. That is crazy.

Lilac

How about ricotta as an alternative? I have been eating that lately, and I haven't seen any with carrageenan or gums. Only "enzymes."

There is a brand of cream cheese for lactose-intolerant people that does not contain gums. But after reading this thread, I'm now not sure if it might contain hidden gums.

As a side note, you cannot find aerosol whipped cream in a can without carrageenan. Even the "organic" versions have it. What the hell were we eating during my childhood? Reddi-wip without carrageenan, fancy that. How did the company manage to make a profit?

shepherdgirl

FWIW I hear it's pretty simple to make ricotta cheese from scratch. But it's annoying that anymore you have to become a homesteader to have decent food.

Jennifer

Yeah that's looking pretty good thanks. Truthfully, I'd like to find a fat-free...I'll have to check their's out. I notice many times there is way more junk in the fat free dairy products vs the low-fat. It's like the less fat the put, the more junk they add.
Back when I was Peating with dairy, I had finally found a company that made a clean, fat-free cheese:

Fat Free Ricotta - Products - Calabro Cheese

At the time, I could only find their part skim ricotta, but I saw that Whole Foods now carries the fat-free. Theirs is the best soft cheese I've ever had. It was nothing like that standard dry curd ricotta but this smooth, whipped cloud of decadence. lol I ate it with honey — it tasted like cheesecake. :)

OP
P
Back when I was Peating with dairy, I had finally found a company that made a clean, fat-free cheese:

Fat Free Ricotta - Products - Calabro Cheese

At the time, I could only find their part skim ricotta, but I saw that Whole Foods now carries the fat-free. Theirs is the best soft cheese I've ever had. It was nothing like that standard dry curd ricotta but this smooth, whipped cloud of decadence. lol I ate it with honey — it tasted like cheesecake. :)

Thanks for the tip. I'll see where I can find this.

OP
P
Also, does anyone know why exactly Cottage Cheese is better than (Greek) Yogurt according to Peat?

I know it has to do with Lactate, and the more sour the yogurt the worse it is. But Cottage Cheese taste a bit sour to me too and it is "cultured." Not exactly sure what "cultured" means but I was thinking it's similar to what they do to yogurt. Are they really two different worlds?

I guess I'm asking because clean greek yogurt is so much easier to find.

jdrop

Good Culture seems to have a solid product. Daisy seems to be ok, but I like the taste of good culture much better. Higher end stores price it very high, regular stores I seem to find it at almosr 1/2 the price. $6.50 vs $3.50 per 16oz.

Any known concerns with high % of diet being cottage cheese, at least if no junk ingredients?

schultz

For Canadians, "Western" brand has a clean cottage cheese. It comes in like a soft brick instead of a plastic lidded container. Ingredients are "milk, salt and bacterial culture"

Edit: My point in mentioning the "brick" packaging is that it doesn't have a liquid aspect to it, it is just curds of cheese with no "sauce" or "dressing" as Ray calls it.

Dr. B

Good Lord, why is it so hard to get some normal cottage cheese with just milk? All these added vitamins that have to be added and then enzymes. Gums and Thickeners. The world we live in! Cant a man just eat some normal food? Everything needs chemists and government getting involved. People really need to revolt - people should be demanding government take the low quality vitamins out of dairy products, no more bad enzymes, no thickening agents, etc.

The added vitamins are really crazy, like if I eat low fat meat, do I need vitamins injected to make up for the lack of vitamins that may be in the fat? If I drink a soda/sugar do I need the gov adding vitamins to make up for it? So why do I need vitamins added to low fat dairy. Let me deal with it.

The term vitamins is just semantics. The scientists or government consider vitamin A absolutely essential, so they think low fat milk products must contain that and vitamin D added. Beef or meat fat doesnt have vitamin A, but it probably still has other things that have vitamin like effects that you could argue are important, essential, beneficial etc.

They have wheat products also with the added vitamins but i think its not required like it is witj low fat milk

I wonder how much of this is down to consumer demand and preference influencing company decisions though? Some people complain if their milk has cream chunks, or if the yogurt separates, or if the cheese uses animal rennet…
The gums and thickeners have costs of their own plus labor costs of adding them into the product… so companies using them are actually spending more money, unless theyre drastically boosting shelf life of the product with additional additives.

Some people I know who are used to homogenized regular milk, dont like the non homogenized stuff

Dr. B

Good Culture seems to have a solid product. Daisy seems to be ok, but I like the taste of good culture much better. Higher end stores price it very high, regular stores I seem to find it at almosr 1/2 the price. $6.50 vs $3.50 per 16oz.

Any known concerns with high % of diet being cottage cheese, at least if no junk ingredients?

A1 protein could be since its casein. And potentially issues from vinegar if that was used in the product. Or enzymes if they used any

From what i remember a few years back, daisy was the best tasting cottage cheese available? Good culture i think was on paper higher quality and organic etc

Dr. B

If you can find it in your area, Daisy Cottage Cheese has only three ingredients:
Cultured skim milk, cream, salt.

I avoid the low-fat version, due to the FDA required addition of vitamin A palmitate.

But would that cultured skim milk in there be vitamin fortified milk? I think its tricky, it’s possible if lowfat milk is used in yogurt or ice cream etc it doesnt have to be fortified.

Also i believe low fat cheeses and yogurts do not have to be vitamin fortified, the requirement is only for actual milk from my understanding… theres several greek yogurts which are actually non fat, and dont have any added vitamin A in them (but im not sure if skim milk used in them could be vitamin fortified and not required to be listed on the label)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals