How Is Friendship Cottage Cheese Not Getting Sued?

So I just bought some of the 1% version.

On the label it says the ingredients are:
  • Cultured Nonfat Milk
  • Nonfat Milk
  • Milk
  • Carbon Dioxide** (To Preserve Freshness)
  • Vitamin A Palmitate
  • Enzymes
Already bad enough, but then I wound up on the toxinless.com website and read the following:

"All of the types usually contain an ingredients list resembling the following (their web site is no longer an accurate representation of the actual ingredients):
Cultured Skim Milk, Milk (sometimes skim or nonfat, depending on the variety), Cream (depending on the variety), Salt, Carrageenan Mono And Diglycerides, Locust Bean Gum, Carbon Dioxide.
Some varieties may also contain:
Whey, Maltodextrin, Artificial Color, Guar Gum, Citric Acid, Locust Bean Gum, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Vitamin A Palmitate, Potassium Sorbate, Enzyme."

I remember when I was in the store most of the friendship containers did contain all of this junk on the label, so I bought the 1% which only had what I listed above.

But Dan Wich is right, on their website you can click each product individually and it says they all they contain way less junk then the labels of the same products in the store, so their labels don't match what's on their website.

But the worst part is that if you buy the 1% thinking your only getting a few undesirable things like I put above, your actually (according to the toxinless.com website) getting allot more additives. How are they getting away with this?

Last edited:

Ingenol

I wonder if the website has to be correct or only the labelling on the actual product. The 1% product containers does not list the gums as you have noted.

OP
P
I wonder if the website has to be correct or only the labelling on the actual product. The 1% product containers does not list the gums as you have noted.

Yea, sorry for the rant, but I'm really only concerned about the 1%. It is listed on the label as only having Cultured Nonfat Milk, Nonfat Milk, Milk, Carbon Dioxide** (To Preserve Freshness),Vitamin A Palmitate, Enzymes. But if I'm understanding correctly from reading the discussion on the toxinless page it actually contains other additives not on the label.

Last edited:

Ingenol

My interpretation is that it's the website that is incorrect--it lists that no products have gums--when in reality some of them do and are (correctly) labeled as such. I have no special connection or additional information though beyond Toxinless, the website, and the packaging.

lvysaur

It has the gums. I remember reading that some labelling of gums isn't even required if it's considered a "processing ingredient" or something like that

Ingenol

It has the gums. I remember reading that some labelling of gums isn't even required if it's considered a "processing ingredient" or something like that
That's unfortunate. How did anyone ever figure out they contained gums then? If they don't have to label them it seems silly that they would on some of the products.

tankasnowgod

Yea, sorry for the rant, but I'm really only concerned about the 1%. It is listed on the label as only having Cultured Nonfat Milk, Nonfat Milk, Milk, Carbon Dioxide** (To Preserve Freshness),Vitamin A Palmitate, Enzymes. But if I'm understanding correctly from reading the discussion on the toxinless page it actually contains other additives not on the label.

Companies reformulate products frequently. Dan does a great job with Toxinless, but he isn't talking with companies every minute. The label on the product is the most accurate, more so than even the company's own website, and certainly any third party website, Toxinless included.

lvysaur

How did anyone ever figure out they contained gums then?
I'm speaking off the top of my head, this is something I read years ago, probably back in 2014.

There are probably all sorts of laws and special lobby privileges for who gets to bypass the ingredients list as a "processor". It's gotten even worse over the last few years.

Jennifer

So I just bought some of the 1% version.

On the label it says the ingredients are:
  • Cultured Nonfat Milk
  • Nonfat Milk
  • Milk
  • Carbon Dioxide** (To Preserve Freshness)
  • Vitamin A Palmitate
  • Enzymes
Already bad enough, but then I wound up on the toxinless.com website and read the following:

"All of the types usually contain an ingredients list resembling the following (their web site is no longer an accurate representation of the actual ingredients):
Cultured Skim Milk, Milk (sometimes skim or nonfat, depending on the variety), Cream (depending on the variety), Salt, Carrageenan Mono And Diglycerides, Locust Bean Gum, Carbon Dioxide.
Some varieties may also contain:
Whey, Maltodextrin, Artificial Color, Guar Gum, Citric Acid, Locust Bean Gum, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Vitamin A Palmitate, Potassium Sorbate, Enzyme."

I remember when I was in the store most of the friendship containers did contain all of this junk on the label, so I bought the 1% which only had what I listed above.

But Dan Wich is right, on their website you can click each product individually and it says they all they contain way less junk then the labels of the same products in the store, so their labels don't match what's on their website.

But the worst part is that if you buy the 1% thinking your only getting a few undesirable things like I put above, your actually (according to the toxinless.com website) getting allot more additives. How are they getting away with this?
That's their original recipe. I used to eat the 1% regular and whipped versions about 13 years ago and even their higher fat versions were the cleaner recipe. Within the past 4 years or so, I happened to be looking at the package while shopping and noticed they had changed all versions to include the gums/fillers, and then a few months back, I noticed they had changed the 1% back to the original recipe.

If you're looking for a cleaner cottage cheese, there's the Good Culture brand. I was getting it at Whole Foods, but also saw it at Target:

good culture

I think the label is accurate

The enzymes concern me. I think they are obtained from fungus. I have had problems with enzymes in cheese (I now only use rennet cheese). I have been using this cottage cheese. I stopped for a few days but it didn’t matter one way or another. Maybe I have to stop for awhile.

OP
P
Good Lord, why is it so hard to get some normal cottage cheese with just milk? All these added vitamins that have to be added and then enzymes. Gums and Thickeners. The world we live in! Cant a man just eat some normal food? Everything needs chemists and government getting involved. People really need to revolt - people should be demanding government take the low quality vitamins out of dairy products, no more bad enzymes, no thickening agents, etc.

The added vitamins are really crazy, like if I eat low fat meat, do I need vitamins injected to make up for the lack of vitamins that may be in the fat? If I drink a soda/sugar do I need the gov adding vitamins to make up for it? So why do I need vitamins added to low fat dairy. Let me deal with it.

Last edited:

ShotTrue

Good Lord, why is it so hard to get some normal cottage cheese with just milk? All these added vitamins that have to be added and then enzymes. Gums and Thickeners. The world we live in! Cant a man just eat some normal food? Everything needs chemists and government getting involved. People really need to revolt - people should be demanding government take the low quality vitamins out of dairy products, no more bad enzymes, no thickening agents, etc.

The added vitamins are really crazy, like if I eat low fat meat, do I need vitamins injected to make up for the lack of vitamins that may be in the fat? If I drink a soda/sugar do I need the gov adding vitamins to make up for it? So why do I need vitamins added to low fat dairy. Let me deal with it.
Well a lot has to do with with mass shipping and storage, vitamins excluded

ShotTrue

@Dan Wich it would be awesome if you could do ice cream. Idk hw in depth this forum goes but them suckers have a lot of additives yet are a great snack for me. Right now I'm eating Edy's ice cream and wondering if this is far worse for you than turkey hill natural ice cream

I want to thank @Pufas Shmoofas for starting this thread and bringing this to my attention. I’ve had body aches the last few weeks and wondering now if this could be the cause. Stopped eating it as of today.

OP
P
I want to thank @Pufas Shmoofas for starting this thread and bringing this to my attention. I’ve had body aches the last few weeks and wondering now if this could be the cause. Stopped eating it as of today.

Yea man, I hope you find something that can replace it. I know Im searching for something.

It hard to find a low-fat or no-fat dairy product that is suitable for consumption.

All low-fat milks have vitamins and I do better with cheese anyway.

Full fat cheese isn't too hard to find with just salt and animal rennet, but I don't do well with full fat right now.

Yogurt has its own issues.

I'd love to be able to find a skim cheese that doesn't have so much junk in it. The search continues..

Jennifer

I'd love to be able to find a skim cheese that doesn't have so much junk in it. The search continues..

The Good Culture cottage cheese I posted about doesn't have the added vitamins or gums. These are the ingredients for the low-fat:
  • Organic skim milk
  • Organic whole milk
  • Organic cream
  • Celtic sea salt
  • Live and active cultures

OP
P
The Good Culture cottage cheese I posted about doesn't have the added vitamins or gums. These are the ingredients for the low-fat:
  • Organic skim milk
  • Organic whole milk
  • Organic cream
  • Celtic sea salt
  • Live and active cultures

Yeah that's looking pretty good thanks. Truthfully, I'd like to find a fat-free...I'll have to check their's out. I notice many times there is way more junk in the fat free dairy products vs the low-fat. It's like the less fat the put, the more junk they add.

Cirion

According to Haidut, they aren't legally required to list an ingredient unless it crosses a certain threshold (I don't know this threshold, but for sake of argument lets say half a gram per 100 gram of product). So if it were say 0.4 gram, it wouldn't be required to be listed. All the more reason to stick to single ingredient foods as much as possible.

Mossy

If you can find it in your area, Daisy Cottage Cheese has only three ingredients:
Cultured skim milk, cream, salt.

I avoid the low-fat version, due to the FDA required addition of vitamin A palmitate.

tankasnowgod

According to Haidut, they aren't legally required to list an ingredient unless it crosses a certain threshold (I don't know this threshold, but for sake of argument lets say half a gram per 100 gram of product). So if it were say 0.4 gram, it wouldn't be required to be listed. All the more reason to stick to single ingredient foods as much as possible.

I think that applies to macros, not listed ingredients. The attached image is the classic example. Zero calories from pure fat. Also, note the serving size.

Attachments

• 54845449-96E6-5774-43AB-BD4A8A8D0CE1.jpeg
    54845449-96E6-5774-43AB-BD4A8A8D0CE1.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 27