Learning To Dairy Farm

Gone Peating

Hi all,

I was curious to see if anyone had any information about what it would be like beginning to learn to be a dairy farmer. I was wondering if anybody could recommend maybe a good farm or program that offers people the chance to learn about the whole process in exchange for working for them or something along those lines.

aguilaroja

.. a good farm or program that offers people the chance to learn about the whole process....

Yes, there are such things around, in many parts of the world. Your profile does not specify region. There are books and workshops

Keeping a Family Cow | Chelsea Green Publishing
Family Milk Cow 101
http://motherhouse.us/caring-for-your-cow/oslss-keeping-a-family-cow-workshops/

For the U.S. and North America, you might look at:

https://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/
Raw milk and organic dairy farms are often smaller scale. They may generally be more accessible for visitors/apprentices, and also treat cows more respectfully. I recognize some of the homesteading links are smaller scale than even small dairy farms.

This is NOT a general endorsement for either the WAPF nor specifically for raw milk. The forum has discussions of different kinds of milk.

zewe

Ahhh, I remember going to the farm for milk in glass jugs!

Believe it or not you can go to job hunting sites like indeed.com and type in dairy farm work...or whatever....and you'll find many jobs.

The bigger ones with more machinery will want experience but there are small farms looking for help and they'll pay you.

Good luck with that and let us know if ya find a job. I'd be interested in following your progress. I thought the same as you when I was younger. Maybe if you get the job/learning I can live vicariously through your posts!

OP
G

Gone Peating

Yes, there are such things around, in many parts of the world. Your profile does not specify region. There are books and workshops

Keeping a Family Cow | Chelsea Green Publishing
Family Milk Cow 101
http://motherhouse.us/caring-for-your-cow/oslss-keeping-a-family-cow-workshops/

For the U.S. and North America, you might look at:

https://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/
Raw milk and organic dairy farms are often smaller scale. They may generally be more accessible for visitors/apprentices, and also treat cows more respectfully. I recognize some of the homesteading links are smaller scale than even small dairy farms.

This is NOT a general endorsement for either the WAPF nor specifically for raw milk. The forum has discussions of different kinds of milk.

Yes I live in the US. Thank you for the info!

OP
G

Gone Peating

Ahhh, I remember going to the farm for milk in glass jugs!

Believe it or not you can go to job hunting sites like indeed.com and type in dairy farm work...or whatever....and you'll find many jobs.

The bigger ones with more machinery will want experience but there are small farms looking for help and they'll pay you.

Good luck with that and let us know if ya find a job. I'd be interested in following your progress. I thought the same as you when I was younger. Maybe if you get the job/learning I can live vicariously through your posts!

Nice thank you I will be sure to keep you updated haha

schultz

I think member @schultz has some experience if I recall correctly.

Sort of. I wouldn't say I am a dairy farmer, maybe a hobby dairy farmer. I have a few animals I milk. Currently I have goats and sheep, but I would like to get a Jersey next spring.

OP
G

Gone Peating

Sort of. I wouldn't say I am a dairy farmer, maybe a hobby dairy farmer. I have a few animals I milk. Currently I have goats and sheep, but I would like to get a Jersey next spring.

Hey @schultz

What would you say were the most helpful resources for helping you learn how to do so?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals