betrayed by pork.

drealism/h2o

Hi.

I am new to this whole concept of health care, but would love to learn as much as possible--especially the information on Progest-e, and diet.

I heard about Ray Peat through Mary Shomon's site in an interview.

I need some advice on NDT if possible. I began taking-somewhat successfully-Armor brand NDT over ten years ago now. Not happy with the reformulated type, I tried Erfa's brand, and felt better. I began a strict Paleo type diet at that time as well, as I was diagnosed with a severe hormonal imbalance. I am now onto trying Thiroyd by Greater Pharma, but I am afraid it won't work well for me. Does anyone have any success story of taking Thiroyd?

I am beginning to worry. At least if someone here can say 'yes it worked for me' I can justify my purchasing it, when it may not work out in the long run...my health is getting worse since May.

I was taking Efra back in May, along with an herbal formula full of plant derived cruciferous vegetables..so perhaps this is what caused the forty pounds I 've gained since end of Feb? I don't know. All I do know is that I am not the only person who had a nasty issue with Erfa..very discouraging to say the least.

Forgive my mood in writing here as I am really half awake at this point, and the sun is still out. Hurrah.

tara

:welcome drealism

I can't comment on thse thyroid formulations - hopefully others who have experience of them will.

I'm wondering what you mean by a strict paleo diet, and whether you are still doing this? Is it a version thant includes ots of fruit and tubers etc, or a low carb version? If it's low carb, that could likely have effects of lowering metabolism, which I don't think you want. Even the high carb versions can make it a bit hard to get enough calcium, I think, unless you are eating the eggshells along with the eggs. Some versions of paleo diets seem s to include a lot of nuts and oily fish, which Peat would recommend minimising because they contain a lot of metaboism-supressing PUFAs.

If you have been avoiding carbs for a while, it can take a bit for the body to readapt to using them well, but there are people here who have done it.

Have you had a look at the sticky posts at the top of the Diet subforum for ideas about food? A couple of Peat's key ideas include minimising PUFA consumption (both omega 3 and omega 6), and various tactics to facilitate effficient cellular oxidation of sugars, and addressing foods that irritate the gut. Getting regular sunshine and sleep are also important.

OP
D

drealism/h2o

Hello!

I am so glad you answered. Geesh. I have been feeling very alone in this...so.. Many thanks for the reply. :)

It's totally okay if you don't know how to answer about thiroyd. Maybe someone else can as I really need to know if anyone is doing well taking thiroyd. If so, how long did it take to get out of the dread of sudden hypothyroidism..it would be nice to have some success or hope in this. Maybe this is not the proper place to compare who does well on what NDT, but thank you for the help.

as for the whole diet thing: I was doing a self made 'paleo' type diet I suppose...it was more like what my doctor prescribed for me. This was in 2009 also, after all of the mess with the reformulation of Armor-which could have been even happening all of 2008. After all, I know I was not feeling myself then either...prior to that, I was at a good weight, and my levels were fine. When the reformulation happened it really kind of ruined me. I say 'kind of' to avoid sounding too dramatic..but, really, I did feel like I was being ruined. It was pretty brutal.

I started reading up on thyroid disorders.

I found a doctor I could see who took my insurance-a small miracle. He said I had pcos, and then prescribed another med to lower my aldosterone, and then I started with Erfa and felt so much better. This diet was a NO sugar diet (pre diabetes) and no bad carbs. No white flour. No potatoes. I didn't follow it to a t, but even so, i lost a lot of weight and felt better. i basically ate a lot of salads. Before i saw him no one could help me. I was so relieved! I had to stop seeing him in 2010 because I lost my insurance. I tried to stay physically healthy for a while after that. I tried progesterone for a while-i think the brand was evitra-and that threw me into another mess altogether. I became bloated, it would not go away!! i got acne...so on..

This past year I've been feeling really off. I kept wondering why, and found the information of Erfa reformulating their drug which worked for me!! So i read about it on some message boards here and there..and so it is. All my hypo symptoms are back and it's just awful. This is in only two months time too...my tsh was at 0.09 in middle of November last year..and then up to 2.9 in the beginning of February! NOT normal for me at all. That's a really high leap in just less than three months time. This has never happened to me before. I have also gained over thirty pounds in that time. So i have not really been following a strict any type of diet. Lately i am craving sugar a lot. During the day i am just exhausted, and don't have much of an appetite until later. I had to stop taking my thyroid meds and am on someNDT now that do nothing..so this is where i am. This is why I am feeling desperate to know what has worked for others...with the NDT issue. Sorry to write too much here. Thanks again for the feedback @tara..

ps--what are PUFA,s?

schultz

drealism/h2o said:
ps--what are PUFA,s?

PUFA's stand for polyunsaturated fatty acids.

Anybody who wants to be healthy should try to avoid them, but in regards to the thyroid they "...block thyroid hormone secretion, its movement in the circulatory system, and the response of tissues to the hormone."

In short, they lower your thyroid function.

I encourage you to start reading everything you can on Ray Peat and the dietary advice he gives. It will change your life. (I'm making it sound like a cult... I'm not a weirdo trust me!) :shock:

OP
D

drealism/h2o

I don't think any of this is weird at all! not to worry. i am really just very concerned for myself and my family too. i just feel like there needs to be a better way for health. my mother and father both have autoimmune diseases, and my brother too..so am i!! oh well. i think pufa's are in everything correct..that is fried or processed too...

and fish oil too? i wish all had known of this a long time ago..

i took fish oils in a high EPA ratio with DhA for depression very successfully years ago..hmmm. better to get this in food? i don't know about shellfish though..yuck.

thanks for your reply so much!!

Blinkyrocket

drealism/h2o said:
I don't think any of this is weird at all! not to worry. i am really just very concerned for myself and my family too. i just feel like there needs to be a better way for health. my mother and father both have autoimmune diseases, and my brother too..so am i!! oh well. i think pufa's are in everything correct..that is fried or processed too...

and fish oil too? i wish all had known of this a long time ago..

i took fish oils in a high EPA ratio with DhA for depression very successfully years ago..hmmm. better to get this in food? i don't know about shellfish though..yuck.

thanks for your reply so much!!
Since depression can be blamed on inflammation I think you would get temporary feeling of wellbeing from getting more omega 3 but there's some scientific stuff about why it's temporary and not desirable.

tara

drealism/h2o said:
i took fish oils in a high EPA ratio with DhA for depression very successfully years ago..hmmm. better to get this in food?
Better to get as little as possible of it that is compatible with getting your other nutritional needs met, eg by choosing non-fatty fish and not too many nuts and avocados. But shell fish has other goodies in them that make them worth eating anyway. Peat tends to favour getting lots of sugars from ripe fruit, milk, honey, sometimes supplemental sucrose. He says potatoes havea lot of good nutrition in them, but some people do better eating littel or no starch, and some people are sensitive to nightshades, so they may not choose potatoes. Others of us eat lots of potatoes, or somewhere inbetween. Peat does not favour wheat (or most seeds).

There are no set ratio recommended for everyone - we are different - but somewhere between 30% - 70% of calories from carbs might make sense, determined by what works for you.
Peat has talked about the taste for sweet usually being an indicator of needing sugar.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend reading Peat's articles on fats, sugars and diabetes - you can find several here:
http://raypeat.com/articles/

HDD

There is a forum member by the name of Peatarian who posted success with thiroyd. I can't link to her post but you can do a search on thiroyd with Peatarian as the author. Or just search thiroyd and you might find others who have posted about it.

OP
D

drealism/h2o

Blinkyrocket said:
Since depression can be blamed on inflammation I think you would get temporary feeling of wellbeing from getting more omega 3 but there's some scientific stuff about why it's temporary and not desirable.

Thanks for the information! I didn't know depression can be from inflammation, but that does make sense now that you mentioned it. i know there are some who say it's a gut and digestive issue too, which is a type of inflammation in the intestines and eventually in the stomach too...with acid problems and such..

tara said:
There are no set ratio recommended for everyone - we are different - but somewhere between 30% - 70% of calories from carbs might make sense, determined by what works for you.
Peat has talked about the taste for sweet usually being an indicator of needing sugar.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend reading Peat's articles on fats, sugars and diabetes - you can find several here:
http://raypeat.com/articles/

Thank you Tara i will definitely start reading as much as i can understand. Thanks for this helpful link.

HDD said:
There is a forum member by the name of Peatarian who posted success with thiroyd. I can't link to her post but you can do a search on thiroyd with Peatarian as the author. Or just search thiroyd and you might find others who have posted about it.

Thanks! I will do a search on this...I am considering using a compounding pharm now. Really, this is just too much!!! :cry:

OP
D

drealism/h2o

schultz said:
drealism/h2o said:
ps--what are PUFA,s?

PUFA's stand for polyunsaturated fatty acids.

Anybody who wants to be healthy should try to avoid them, but in regards to the thyroid they "...block thyroid hormone secretion, its movement in the circulatory system, and the response of tissues to the hormone."

In short, they lower your thyroid function.

I encourage you to start reading everything you can on Ray Peat and the dietary advice he gives. It will change your life. (I'm making it sound like a cult... I'm not a weirdo trust me!) :shock:

Thank you! The 'polys' i will just remember this for myself. Oh and I meant to say I don't think you or anything on this site is weird at all. What is the difference, medical science now is weird too. This is my opinion. Polys mean many..and unsaturated is without water? Fats that suspend in liquid form...i don't know..I need to look that up too. So not saturated many fats that are acids..and this is causing inflammation in the cells?

"polyunsaturated
(of long-chain carbon compounds especially fats) having many unsaturated bonds"

So this is bad news for thyroid and t3 receptors...although i suppose it would be fine in a perfect world. Why am i the one who is accused of being out of reality when the medical schools teach science from a paradigm that is leveling illness against perfection? They are starting from the wrong place.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals