Haidut Interview Is fasting worth it? With Georgi Dinkov and CarnivoreMD

David PS

This week, Paul has Georgi Dinkov back on the podcast for the third time to cover a plethora of topics: the benefits versus risks of carbohydrates, polyunsaturated fatty acids in cell membranes, the root causes of diabetes and cancer, and so much more.
00:00:00 Podcast begins
00:02:54 Can we extend our lifespan through fasting and Metformin?
00:11:24 High intensity interval training and other kinds of exercise
00:16:54 Protein, glycine, and preventing sarcopenia
00:25:35 Inflammation and endotoxins
00:34:15 Stop fearing blood glucose levels
00:38:15 Downsides of fasting and how to obtain autophagy
00:56:10 Thoughts on metformin
01:05:08 What causes diabetes?
01:23:55 Polyunsaturated fats behave differently than saturated fats
01:27:59 The Rice Diet
01:35:37 Thoughts on exercise
01:38:25 Ketosis, fructose, and NAFLD References: Georgi’s blog: haidut.me

Treatment of massive obesity with rice/reduction diet program: https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper...

Limon9

Thanks for sharing.

@haidut left open-ended the real MoA of metformin. Officially it's AMPK agonism (aspirin and coffee diterpenes strike again) although its other effects work against this. A drug which ostensibly increases glucose uptake and blocks thiamine function, pure genius, definitely won't cause lactic acidosis.

As I've said in the past, mitochondrial uncoupling is probably how the healthy body induces AMPK (increased AMP/ATP ratio), so pursuing this with thyroid hormones, caffeine, carbon dioxide etc is probably the physiological way to reproduce any good that metformin is doing.

Sapien

Paul is actually a really smart guy, glad he came around to carbohydrates

Seems to be in this for the right reasons too

LadyRae

Paul is actually a really smart guy, glad he came around to carbohydrates

Seems to be in this for the right reasons too
I agree. His pods are quite informative, although lately he releases too many shorts in my opinion. He will hack up an interesting interview in a little bits and release them separately which is kind of annoying.

But his message is reaching so many people, so many people that need to hear Georgi too!

Thanks @David PS !

Momma

Carnivore MD opens with Candyland psyops comment and a fear of sugar?
His CARNIVORE preschool or elementary school niece and nephews want sugar.
Of course they do.

This is a pass for me unless Georgi guides him elsewhere.

Too much sugar fear / ignorance from this guy. Not from just this video but others that i have watched.

OP
David PS

David PS

@ecstatichamster The red text in the original post are timestamps and they are hot linked to the URL.
00:00:00 Podcast begins

LadyRae

I noticed in this interview the importance to supplement DHEA as we age to favor the DHEA to cortisol ratio

OP
David PS

David PS

I noticed in this interview the importance to supplement DHEA as we age to favor the DHEA to cortisol ratio
Yes but it best not to have supraphysiological levels of DHEA. Excessive DHEA is a good way to raise estrogen and you do not want to do that.

Edit:
See DHEA at Ray Peat Email Exchanges.

Last edited:

ATP

The carnivore guy is just trying to make money from the latest in health trends, he was trying to convince everyone that sugar was bad, making money from the keto/carnivore trend and now he's using Peat's work to profit from the change in public opinion that fruit is actually good. It is obvious what he is doing and he even calls it an animal based diet. Him and his friend the liver king both use the same marketing strategy.

Momma

The carnivore guy is just trying to make money from the latest in health trends, he was trying to convince everyone that sugar was bad, making money from the keto/carnivore trend and now he's using Peat's work to profit from the change in public opinion that fruit is actually good. It is obvious what he is doing and he even calls it an animal based diet. Him and his friend the liver king both use the same marketing strategy.
Helpful. I see that. Thank you.

Sapien

he was trying to convince everyone that sugar was bad
So? everyone makes mistakes. Ray Peat himself used to advocate a low carb diet.

IMO, carnivore, while being terrible for your health, is not that unreasonable of a diet plan from a conceptual standpoint.

When one realizes that plants have antinutrients, we don't absorb plant vitamins nearly as well as animal foods, you learn that unsaturated fats from plants are the root cause of all cronic disease , it is a logical reaction IMO.

make money from the latest in health trends
Nothing wrong with making money. He spends his time creating content etc, why should he not profit from it? He is not forcing anyone to buy his supplements, and even tells people that fresh organs are a superior choice.

the change in public opinion that fruit is actually good
I must have missed the memo, every time i tell people I eat high sugar/fruit diet they think its bad for me

Also, the low carb community is much bigger than the RP community. His interviews with Georgi are already among the highest viewed of Ray Peat videos on youtube.

If anything changing his opinion and telling his followers he was wrong only could hurt his image/brand

Instead of scolding the man for past mistakes, I think we should applaud his mission of attempting to spread the Truth.
By exposing his audience to Ray Peat ideas, he is improving/ saving lives and perhaps will even help to make this info mainstream. This was the ultimate goal of Ray and others like Danny and Georgi, to dispel mainstream diet/health dogmas and lift the curtain on the corruption that got us here.

Him and his friend the liver king both use the same marketing strategy.
Yeah the manly meat eater thing is pretty cringe. Paul sometimes acts like a character, and I can see why people think hes a charlatan for that lol.

I think mostly its just an (over)reaction to the plant based soy boy culture

ATP

IMO, carnivore, while being terrible for your health, is not that unreasonable of a diet plan from a conceptual standpoint.

When one realizes that plants have antinutrients, we don't absorb plant vitamins nearly as well as animal foods, you learn that unsaturated fats from plants are the root cause of all cronic disease , it is a logical reaction IMO.

Nothing wrong with making money. He spends his time creating content etc, why should he not profit from it? He is not forcing anyone to buy his supplements, and even tells people that fresh organs are a superior choice.

I must have missed the memo, every time i tell people I eat high sugar/fruit diet they think its bad for me

Also, the low carb community is much bigger than the RP community. His interviews with Georgi are already among the highest viewed of Ray Peat videos on youtube.

If anything changing his opinion and telling his followers he was wrong only could hurt his image/brand

Instead of scolding the man for past mistakes, I think we should applaud his mission of attempting to spread the Truth.
By exposing his audience to Ray Peat ideas, he is improving/ saving lives and perhaps will even help to make this info mainstream. This was the ultimate goal of Ray and others like Danny and Georgi, to dispel mainstream diet/health dogmas and lift the curtain on the corruption that got us here.

Yeah the manly meat eater thing is pretty cringe. Paul sometimes acts like a character, and I can see why people think hes a charlatan for that lol.

What Peat said about brain ketone utilization and the carnivore guy promoting ketogenic diets are not the same thing. I guess we just have different opinions about the carnivore guy. Like you said, he can be perceived to be a charlatan.

dukesbobby777

Yes but it best not to have supraphysiological levels of DHEA. Excessive DHEA is a good way to raise estrogen and you do not want to do that.

Edit:

And that's more likely the older we get because we accumulate more toxins and the body just works less efficiently.

I'm with you on that one. Everyone is so suspicious and cynical just because somebody changes what they are doing. Is it really beyond the realms of reason that carnivore (whilst providing benefits for a while) just wasn't cutting it, and his craving for carbohydrates resulted in him sitting down, thinking about what he was going to do next (like we all do with this diet stuff), and he decided to add fruits back in. He tried it, felt the benefits of adding fruit in, perhaps came across Ray Peat stuff (or knew about him already, and then looked at his work again), discovered Georgi Dinkov (and invited him for podcasts), and he's since been promoting his lifestyle on social media platforms because it's now working for him? He seems genuinely enough to me. So what if he's making money. Good for him for getting off his backside and going to make that money.

And what's all this about Peat being the latest health trend? Perhaps a slight upturn in the very minute unusual health circles. And Georgi on some of these podcasts is doing great work to raise the reputation of Peat's work. But Mainstream? No where near. When I start hearing about the 'Peat approach to eating' in the national news sources, and I'm regularly hearing about it (like i do with Atkins, paleo and keto), I will then actually start to believe it's mainstream.

LadyRae

Agree 💯

LadyRae

Edit:
I take 5 mg in the morning and at night. I'm 45. Works well for me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals