IODIDE - not - IODINE cure for many diseases? (With Ray qoutes)

Peater

Iodine is not hard to get…

“Shrimp and other seafood are good sources of iodine because they absorb some of the iodine that is naturally present in seawater (12). Three ounces of shrimp contain about 35 mcg of iodine, or 23% of the daily recommended intake”

“Dairy products are major sources of iodine, especially in American diets (12).

The amount of iodine in milk and dairy differs greatly based on the iodine content in the cattle feed and the use of iodine-containing disinfectants during milking (13Trusted Source).

A comprehensive study measured the iodine content in 18 different brands of milk sold in the Boston area. It found that all 18 brands had at least 88 mcg in 1 cup (8 ounces) of milk. Some brands even contained up to 168 mcg in one cup (14Trusted Source).

Based on these results, 1 cup of milk can provide 59–112% of the recommended daily amount of iodine.

Yogurt is also a good dairy source of iodine. One cup of plain yogurt provides approximately half of the daily recommended amount (6Trusted Source).

The amount of iodine in cheese varies depending on the type.

Cottage cheese is one of the best sources of iodine. One cup of cottage cheese provides 65 mcg, while one ounce of cheddar cheese provides about 12 mcg (15)”

Oh I've already taken 150mg+ of SSKI and had bloodwork tested by labs, it's on page 7 onwards...nothing deleterious to report.

Dave Clark

It begs the question, at least to me, that if all the toxicity and deleterious effects of iodine at the doses Peat calls high were so, then I find it hard to imagine that decades of iodine therapy by the doctors he refers to, Abrahams, Fletchas, Brownstein, et al, that all these people/patients had, or have destroyed thyroids. At some point if these doctors would have witnessed the effects Peat talks about, they would have aborted or abandoned the use of iodine therapy. What Peat talks about is not consistent with the results being seen by people doing iodine therapy, a few, but not the majority. Iodine literate doctors are still using it, and its use is still going strong. The skin test is not what is being used to determine iodine sufficiency, 24 hr urine tests are. And, deficiency is relative to that amount of bromide in the body that competes with iodine, not how much you consume. That's my take on it, and I am keep an eye out for all new info, good or bad.

Mossy

Oh I've already taken 150mg+ of SSKI and had bloodwork tested by labs, it's on page 7 onwards...nothing deleterious to report.
Have you been taking this non-stop, since your last report? Would be interesting to get an update.

TheSir

It begs the question, at least to me, that if all the toxicity and deleterious effects of iodine at the doses Peat calls high were so, then I find it hard to imagine that decades of iodine therapy by the doctors he refers to, Abrahams, Fletchas, Brownstein, et al, that all these people/patients had, or have destroyed thyroids. At some point if these doctors would have witnessed the effects Peat talks about, they would have aborted or abandoned the use of iodine therapy. What Peat talks about is not consistent with the results being seen by people doing io
dine therapy, a few, but not the majority. Iodine literate doctors are still using it, and its use is still going strong. The skin test is not what is being used to determine iodine sufficiency, 24 hr urine tests are. And, deficiency is relative to that amount of bromide in the body that competes with iodine, not how much you consume. That's my take on it, and I am keep an eye out for all new info, good or bad.
Peat had a few views that stood on a much weaker foundation than what was usual for him. A little bit of research will make it clear that iodine was one of them. He just hadn't exposed himself to enough information to have worthwhile thoughts on this particular subject.

Peater

It begs the question, at least to me, that if all the toxicity and deleterious effects of iodine at the doses Peat calls high were so, then I find it hard to imagine that decades of iodine therapy by the doctors he refers to, Abrahams, Fletchas, Brownstein, et al, that all these people/patients had, or have destroyed thyroids. At some point if these doctors would have witnessed the effects Peat talks about, they would have aborted or abandoned the use of iodine therapy. What Peat talks about is not consistent with the results being seen by people doing iodine therapy, a few, but not the majority. Iodine literate doctors are still using it, and its use is still going strong. The skin test is not what is being used to determine iodine sufficiency, 24 hr urine tests are. And, deficiency is relative to that amount of bromide in the body that competes with iodine, not how much you consume. That's my take on it, and I am keep an eye out for all new info, good or bad.

I agree with this. Peat was right about a lot - who else will tell you that (In moderation/context) ice cream, sugary coke, OJ and meat are good for you, and there is no need to eat the approved "Health Foods" (Big sarcasm!)

I just wonder if due to his early thyroid issues he was wary about doing any damage, or he considered the issue solved with thyroid supplementation and that validated the 'anti' research.

Have you been taking this non-stop, since your last report? Would be interesting to get an update.

Yes along with 200mcg selenium methionine. This is very important. Along with low PUFA by the looks of things, which luckily comes as standard with a Peaty diet. :D I haven't done any further tests, maybe in the new year.

Mossy

Yes along with 200mcg selenium methionine. This is very important. Along with low PUFA by the looks of things, which luckily comes as standard with a Peaty diet. :D I haven't done any further tests, maybe in the new year.
I think there is value to the anecdotal, in addition to the lab tests. The fact that you feel well and are not getting any side effects is a good thing. I had tried the same dose SSKI that you are on and I thought I was able determine it was the cause of crushing fatigue, preceded by a need for less sleep and being more productive. Maybe i have it wrong and I should try it again and the fatigue was from something else. I was getting my selenium from eating Brazil nuts every day.

Last edited:

LLight

Guy Abraham and some of his followers claim that an iodine deficiency can be shown by the quick disappearance of a spot of iodine painted on the skin.

And yet:
To answer the second question, the skin iodine patch test is not a reliable method to assess whole body sufficiency for iodine. Many factors play a role in the disappearance of the yellow color of iodine from the surface of the skin. For example, if iodine is reduced to iodide by the skin, the yellow color of iodine will disappear because iodide is white. In order to regenerate iodine on the skin, one needs to apply an oxidant such as hydrogen
peroxide, complicating the test further. The evaporation of iodine from the skin increases with increased ambient temperatures and decreased atmospheric pressure.

The Bioavailability of Iodine Applied to the Skin by Guy E. Abraham

Peater

I think there is value to the anecdotal, in addition to the lab tests. The fact that you feel well and are not getting any side effects is a good thing. I had tried the same dose SSKI that you are on and I thought I was able determine it was the cause of crushing fatigue, preceded by a need for less sleep and being more productive. Maybe i have it wrong and I should try it again and the fatigue was from something else. I was getting my selenium from eating Brazil nuts every day.

I'm definitely not saying it's a cure all, but I have ascertained to my own satisfaction that it hasn't blown up my thyroid. Which was clearly not great before starting SSKI anyway. Other people's experiences may vary - all I did was research the existing 'pro' iodine doctors and their arguments.

Mossy

I'm definitely not saying it's a cure all, but I have ascertained to my own satisfaction that it hasn't blown up my thyroid. Which was clearly not great before starting SSKI anyway. Other people's experiences may vary - all I did was research the existing 'pro' iodine doctors and their arguments.
Great to hear. I do realize it's not a cure-all, but I'm hoping it is a cure-some. I'd like to attempt to reverse some periodontal disease with it. As well as to have it on hand to use as an anti-viral.

Peater

Great to hear. I do realize it's not a cure-all, but I'm hoping it is a cure-some. I'd like to attempt to reverse some periodontal disease with it. As well as to have it on hand to use as an anti-viral.

Exactly even if one doesn't want to treat it as a supplement it's good to know it can be used in the same way it was as a treatment decades ago.

No one considers Brazil nuts a truly reliable source of selenium as far as i know, although liver is and has all the B vits and Vit A.

Selenium methionine is cheap enough, it might be worth running that alongside and seeing if it changes anything.

Dave Clark

When you use it as an antiviral, or any antimicrobial, how do you use it? In the past, I have used 5% Lugols at three drops twice/day, when I came down with something. But, maybe I didn't need that much, or maybe I could have used more, and I see different recommendations on-line.

Ras

In addition to the doctors you mentioned, recall that Albert Szent-Györgyi and his colleagues administered potassium iodide sometimes in multi-gram doses. It was considered so benign and beneficial as to be used as the spaghetti thrown against the wall, when no certain remedy was known (1). Side effects were mild and transient. I've found no records of any of their patients having their thyroid destroyed.

Mossy

Exactly even if one doesn't want to treat it as a supplement it's good to know it can be used in the same way it was as a treatment decades ago.

No one considers Brazil nuts a truly reliable source of selenium as far as i know, although liver is and has all the B vits and Vit A.

Selenium methionine is cheap enough, it might be worth running that alongside and seeing if it changes anything.
That has been on my mind, about the Brazil nuts being a non-reliable source of selenium. I actually have Thorne selenomethionine on hand, it's just that I get negative effects from most supplements. I may try it again. I do eat liver once week, so maybe that would be enough.

Last edited:

Mossy

When you use it as an antiviral, or any antimicrobial, how do you use it? In the past, I have used 5% Lugols at three drops twice/day, when I came down with something. But, maybe I didn't need that much, or maybe I could have used more, and I see different recommendations on-line.
I am very new to SSKI and I have yet to use it as an antiviral; I've only done some very preliminary testing with it. My plan is to follow what @Jam did when some of his family members got sick, if I do need to treat an illness from a virus. You will see that he also used Lugol's along with it:

"In the past few days, 2 more members of my family, including my mother, all unvaccinated, tested positive, with "Omicron" symptoms. I instructed them to take 6x3 drops of SSKI with selenomethionine and multiple aspirins and to gargle with diluted Lugol's, and both recovered almost immediately."

I plan on doing some more testing to see how my body reacts to it, so I could confidently take the larger doses if needed.

Last edited:

Peater

That has been on my mind, about the Brazil nuts being a non-reliable source of selenium. I actually have Thorne selenomethionine on hand, it's just that I get negative effects from most supplements. I may try it again. I do eat liver once week, so maybe that would be enough.

If you're eating a good amount of liver regularly that should be OK as far as I can tell. It's just that most people don't!

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
@Makrosky @Jam Thanks for your help and everyone who contributes to the iodine debate. My latest results below. 150mg SSKI or 4 drops of 15% Lugols daily WITH SELENIUM does not appear to have destroyed my thyroid. How I wish Ray had self- experimented with this, and not wheat germ.

My TSH has indeed dropped and may continue to do so.

In the interests of clarity I will also add that I have been taking TUDCA which appears to have helped with Cholestasis (Self-diagnosed through symptoms.) which has cleared up. I also tried some turpentine to remove any liver flukes as I used to eat a lot of raw watercress salads. I mention the liver as of course this is related to T4 function. The main symptom of strong, random 'pin prick' points of itchiness has gone. (Bile salts in the skin)

I tried 10mg methylene blue for around a week as part of the liver 'diagnosis' but stopped this 2 weeks before the thyroid test.

Doctors comment:

Previous results when I had just started:

CRP HS 0.432 mg/L
FERRITIN 142 ug/L
VITAMIN B12 - ACTIVE >150 pmol/L
VITAMIN D 99.6 nmol/L

TSH 7.33 mIU/L
FREE T3 4.34 pmol/L
FREE THYROXINE 15.9 pmol/L

THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODIES 14.6 kIU/L (0 - 115)
THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES <9 (0 - 34)
Thank you very much for posting your experiences and your blood panel! Awesome!!!
So, your doctor states that your thyroid is working normally, do you feel good? --> Do you have normal temps/metabolism/mental clarity/overall well-being?
And if I understood correctly, your intake of SSKI restored your thyroid? Or did you take Lugols or both SSKI AND Lugols?

Thank you so much!

Peater

Thank you very much for posting your experiences and your blood panel! Awesome!!!
So, your doctor states that your thyroid is working normally, do you feel good? --> Do you have normal temps/metabolism/mental clarity/overall well-being?
And if I understood correctly, your intake of SSKI restored your thyroid? Or did you take Lugols or both SSKI AND Lugols?

Thank you so much!

I appreciate your reply! It is worth bearing in mind it was purely to confirm if it would or would not blow up my thyroid, which tests confirmed was sub optimal, but not terrible. I did not notice any major improvements from previous thyroid hormone supplementation, it's possible I wasn't using it properly of course.

A few people have posted now about NDT and I found that quote from Ray mentioning how its dangers had been over stated so I've been trying that too. Too recent to say anything definite but I have noticed a sense of inner well being that's hard to explain.

I think it's important to remember as a mineral it might be worth taking anyway, for immune support for example.

My main goal is simply to lean up and improve body composition, I think cortisol is an issue but not one cortisol lowering supplement has ever made a difference. I think the thyroid-liver-adrenals triad is definitely a thing. I've posted about trying to improve liver function, again just my thoughts and experiments.

One VERY pleasant thing I noticed pre-NDT (as it's been cold here for months) with Lugol's specifically is an inner warmth that expanded into my toes and fingers, always the first parts to suffer! It's hard to explain but sometimes even if the room temperature is 26C (which in summer is borderline unpleasant), there was still no sense of "deep" warmth before. STRONG coffee provided a temporary reprieve of course.

Ras

My main goal is simply to lean up and improve body composition, I think cortisol is an issue but not one cortisol lowering supplement has ever made a difference.
Have you tried high-dose Vitamin A?

Peater

Ha, I just this second finished a big plate of chicken livers. I have been eating liver for years, but recently I haven't been eating it as regularly as I'd like. Thanks for that link, I'll make sure I get some liver weekly.

Peater

Interesting post here. Do you know if red light depletes A? I actually checked earlier today to see if it depleted B2/riboflavin, but apparently only the bluer wavelengths do that. I never considered A.

There was a period of a couple of weeks where I felt restless and extremely fatigued. I thought I ran into another episode of high blood pressure because of citric acid but my BP turned out normal. I was stuck trying to figure out what's wrong for two weeks until I stumbled upon an old bottle of Vitamin A acetate. The smell was refreshing and heavenly. That's when I realised it's summer again and the occasional liver and low-dose palmitate just won't do. I rubbed around 150,000 IUs on my skin and things started to settle down quickly.
Those were very stressful two weeks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals