Intense Nausea After Small Amount Of Salt (sodium)

BearWithMe

I get very intense feeling of fullness and strong nausea every time I eat anything that contains sodium. It will often mess my digestion for the rest of the day.

I can handle acidic foods with no problems (lemons, oranges, vinegar), I can handle most spices with no problems, very warm and cold foods with no problems, but even the smallest pinch of salt or baking soda will trigger a horrible stomachache.

What might be the cause?

Slaweknysa

not sure but having similat symptoms (i just signed up to ask the same question)
I used to be able to eat copious amount of salt but last few weeks i get nauseated instantly after having just a bit.
I have stomach cramps and feel like throwing up shortly after eating salty foods. Ususally i use pickling salt for my own meals (grind it myself) and thought maybe the type of salt is the problem, but i have same symptoms when using sea, regular and pink salt.

Slaweknysa

@RWilly I assume I am. Potato and OJ are my staples. I didnt mention it in the previuos post, and not sure if thats related, but i started urinating frequently about 3 weeks ago amd my bp jumped to 150/100 (my normal is 130/90). i'm 50 btw

RWilly

@RWilly I assume I am. Potato and OJ are my staples. I didnt mention it in the previuos post, and not sure if thats related, but i started urinating frequently about 3 weeks ago amd my bp jumped to 150/100 (my normal is 130/90). i'm 50 btw

Frequent urination can be related to diabetes.

BearWithMe

Frequent urination can be related to diabetes.
Or stress / high adrenaline / low aldosterone. That would be congruent with the blood pressure increase. Do you feel stressed / are you going trough some struggles recently, @Slaweknysa? Are you aware of anything that happened 3 weeks ago, that might triggered this problem? Any change in diet / daily regime / general lifestyle?

I'm also struggling with frequent urination btw. I also have symptoms of dehydration like extreme thirst, dry mouth, dry skin, chapped lips and dizziness, altrough I'm getting fair amounts of liquids.

Slaweknysa

@JanP, actually......yes
im häving some personal problems keeping me awake at night for a past 2 months

ive been eating lost of carbs to deal with stress and keep my energy up

BearWithMe

@JanP, actually......yes
im häving some personal problems keeping me awake at night for a past 2 months

ive been eating lost of carbs to deal with stress and keep my energy up
I'm really sorry to hear that! Hope things will get better soon.

I think the symptoms you are describing are caused by sodium loss triggered by stress hormones, but I have no idea why the same mechanism also prevents us from digesting enough sodium to replete the loss :(

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N Teeths pain when I do bike and try to go a little’ more intense Ask For Help or Advice 0
L Intense Fight Or Flight Reaction Male Issues 6
C Intense Stress During Passage Of Food Through Large Intestine Ask For Help or Advice 128
D Pain In Kidney Area During Intense Emotional Psych.Distress Symptoms, Causes 8
jzeno Egg Whites Cause Intense Indigestion Eggs 3
Hevel Taking Vitamin K And D Induce Intense Chest Pain, Mg Provides Instant Relief Heart, Heart Rate, Blood Pressure 18
Luann L's Intense Pufa-free Diet! Diet 24
sladerunner69 Intense Exercise Damages Cells In Ways That Cumulatively Impair Metabolism Ray Peat Quotes 21
L Absolutely No Desire To Eat But Intense PUFA Cravings Diet 37
I Intense Unrequited Love? Hypo/serotonin Connection Ask For Help or Advice 30
L Intense Craving For Red Meat. But I've Never Had It In My Life Diet 22
Amazoniac How often do you experience intense dreams? Polls 8
J 23 Y.o Male - Experiencing Intense Night Sweats Ask For Help or Advice 23
J Intense gas pain and constipation from drugs from surgery Digestion 3
S Nausea issue preventing being in certain environments Ask For Help or Advice 0
HLP Menopausal Nausea Ask For Help or Advice 5
R Insidious And Baffling Nausea (reflux) Digestion 3
D Nausea, Gut Cramping, Hot Flashes/then Chills Ask For Help or Advice 9
D Progesterone, No Appetite, Nausea, Hypoglycemia Progesterone 2
BearWithMe Nausea Wakes Me Up Just Seconds After Falling Asleep Ask For Help or Advice 4
biggirlkisss Wait To Long And Not Eat Then Nausea And Puke Ask For Help or Advice 1
biggirlkisss Back And Shoudler Pain And Extreme Nausea Ask For Help or Advice 11
C Constant Nausea Health 5
biggirlkisss Extreme Nausea Ask For Help or Advice 7
biggirlkisss Extreme Nausea Ask For Help or Advice 3
Broken man Blood Work After Hardcore Nausea, Please Help Me Understand What Happened Blood Work, Labs 11
raypeatclips Daily Nausea Ask For Help or Advice 37
M Celexa Withdrawal Causing Nausea Ask For Help or Advice 0
Nicholas Cold Foods Cause Nausea Digestion 12
A Copper supplement causing nausea? Ask For Help or Advice 0
B Nausea from Vitamin E E 3
I Nausea iLoveSugar 1
E Menopause and nausea Meet & Greet 1
charlie The treatment of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth with enteric-coated peppermint oil: a case report Scientific Studies 33
D Cistanche - Can I Chew/Suck On Small Piece Or Better To Make Tea ? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 6
outtherebrother Post accutane small bone structure Male Issues 3
B Why should everyone get a vaccine (covid-19) when a small percentage is the "problem"? Vaccines 18
J Levo gives me high BP- is anyone using small doses of T3 with meals in lieu of levo? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
F Small Molecule Cognitive Enhancer Reverses Age-Related Memory Decline In Mice Scientific Studies 1
metabolizm Big Meals Vs. Small Meals Ask For Help or Advice 2
J Increased Breathing After Aspirn & Small Meal Metabolism 4
Inaut Small Tear On My Skin 20
jzeno Potential Cancer Diagnosis: Small Abdomen Lump Seems To Be Shrinking Cancer 20
Broken man Acceleration Of Regeneration Of Mucosa In Small Intestine Damaged By Ionizing Radiation Using Anabol Scientific Studies 2
M Progesterone For Small Wounds In Three Year Old Boy Hormones 1
Mauritio Fructose Is NOT Metabolized By The Liver But The Small Intestines Digestion, Gut Flora 6
C A Small Carnivore Diet Experiment Skin 8
ecstatichamster Miracle: Small "empirical" Doses Of Antibiotics Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 10
JustAGuy Eating Fast Vs Slow / Big Vs Small Meals Ask For Help or Advice 5
lvysaur Restoring The Small Intestinal Membrane Cures Diabetes Articles & Scientific Studies 37