Intense Nausea After Small Amount Of Salt (sodium)

Discussion in 'Ask For Help or Advice' started by JanP, Jan 14, 2020.

1. JanP

JanP Member

I get very intense feeling of fullness and strong nausea every time I eat anything that contains sodium. It will often mess my digestion for the rest of the day.

I can handle acidic foods with no problems (lemons, oranges, vinegar), I can handle most spices with no problems, very warm and cold foods with no problems, but even the smallest pinch of salt or baking soda will trigger a horrible stomachache.

What might be the cause?

2. Slaweknysa

Slaweknysa New Member

not sure but having similat symptoms (i just signed up to ask the same question)
    I used to be able to eat copious amount of salt but last few weeks i get nauseated instantly after having just a bit.
    I have stomach cramps and feel like throwing up shortly after eating salty foods. Ususally i use pickling salt for my own meals (grind it myself) and thought maybe the type of salt is the problem, but i have same symptoms when using sea, regular and pink salt.

3. RWilly

RWilly Member

Are you getting enough potassium?

4. Slaweknysa

Slaweknysa New Member

@RWilly I assume I am. Potato and OJ are my staples. I didnt mention it in the previuos post, and not sure if thats related, but i started urinating frequently about 3 weeks ago amd my bp jumped to 150/100 (my normal is 130/90). i'm 50 btw

5. RWilly

RWilly Member

Frequent urination can be related to diabetes.

6. OP
    JanP

JanP Member

Or stress / high adrenaline / low aldosterone. That would be congruent with the blood pressure increase. Do you feel stressed / are you going trough some struggles recently, @Slaweknysa? Are you aware of anything that happened 3 weeks ago, that might triggered this problem? Any change in diet / daily regime / general lifestyle?

I'm also struggling with frequent urination btw. I also have symptoms of dehydration like extreme thirst, dry mouth, dry skin, chapped lips and dizziness, altrough I'm getting fair amounts of liquids.

7. Slaweknysa

Slaweknysa New Member

@JanP, actually......yes
    im häving some personal problems keeping me awake at night for a past 2 months

ive been eating lost of carbs to deal with stress and keep my energy up

8. BingDing

BingDing Member

This is a total shot in the dark, but topical magnesium chloride might be worth trying. It can't hurt.

9. OP
    JanP

JanP Member

I'm really sorry to hear that! Hope things will get better soon.

I think the symptoms you are describing are caused by sodium loss triggered by stress hormones, but I have no idea why the same mechanism also prevents us from digesting enough sodium to replete the loss :(