Intense Nausea After Small Amount Of Salt (sodium)

BearWithMe

I get very intense feeling of fullness and strong nausea every time I eat anything that contains sodium. It will often mess my digestion for the rest of the day.

I can handle acidic foods with no problems (lemons, oranges, vinegar), I can handle most spices with no problems, very warm and cold foods with no problems, but even the smallest pinch of salt or baking soda will trigger a horrible stomachache.

What might be the cause?

Slaweknysa

not sure but having similat symptoms (i just signed up to ask the same question)
I used to be able to eat copious amount of salt but last few weeks i get nauseated instantly after having just a bit.
I have stomach cramps and feel like throwing up shortly after eating salty foods. Ususally i use pickling salt for my own meals (grind it myself) and thought maybe the type of salt is the problem, but i have same symptoms when using sea, regular and pink salt.

Slaweknysa

@RWilly I assume I am. Potato and OJ are my staples. I didnt mention it in the previuos post, and not sure if thats related, but i started urinating frequently about 3 weeks ago amd my bp jumped to 150/100 (my normal is 130/90). i'm 50 btw

RWilly

@RWilly I assume I am. Potato and OJ are my staples. I didnt mention it in the previuos post, and not sure if thats related, but i started urinating frequently about 3 weeks ago amd my bp jumped to 150/100 (my normal is 130/90). i'm 50 btw

Frequent urination can be related to diabetes.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Frequent urination can be related to diabetes.
Or stress / high adrenaline / low aldosterone. That would be congruent with the blood pressure increase. Do you feel stressed / are you going trough some struggles recently, @Slaweknysa? Are you aware of anything that happened 3 weeks ago, that might triggered this problem? Any change in diet / daily regime / general lifestyle?

I'm also struggling with frequent urination btw. I also have symptoms of dehydration like extreme thirst, dry mouth, dry skin, chapped lips and dizziness, altrough I'm getting fair amounts of liquids.

Slaweknysa

@JanP, actually......yes
im häving some personal problems keeping me awake at night for a past 2 months

ive been eating lost of carbs to deal with stress and keep my energy up

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

@JanP, actually......yes
im häving some personal problems keeping me awake at night for a past 2 months

ive been eating lost of carbs to deal with stress and keep my energy up
I'm really sorry to hear that! Hope things will get better soon.

I think the symptoms you are describing are caused by sodium loss triggered by stress hormones, but I have no idea why the same mechanism also prevents us from digesting enough sodium to replete the loss :(

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I'm eating a heaping tablespoon of salt a day. Up to 20g. I'm putting salt into everything. I have no idea why it suddenly doesn't cause sympoms, though.

It might be because I'm eating the salt with plenty of carbs, as suggested by gaze. It might be because I'm replete with other nutrients, as suggested by @RWilly in this thread (potassium? possibly also calcium? magnesium?). It might be because I'm less stressed. There might be more stressors in my life, but my attitude towards them was changed.

I'm curious how does @Slaweknysa feel now

Slaweknysa

I'm eating a heaping tablespoon of salt a day. Up to 20g. I'm putting salt into everything. I have no idea why it suddenly doesn't cause sympoms, though.

It might be because I'm eating the salt with plenty of carbs, as suggested by gaze. It might be because I'm replete with other nutrients, as suggested by @RWilly in this thread (potassium? possibly also calcium? magnesium?). It might be because I'm less stressed. There might be more stressors in my life, but my attitude towards them was changed.

I'm curious how does @Slaweknysa feel now
hi
i think it was emotional stress for me; im totally fine now and back to salting to taste. For a while i wasnt able to eat anything without being nauseated, with salt giving me the worse symptoms of all, but once my stress levels dropped i gradually got back to my normal self.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

hi
i think it was emotional stress for me; im totally fine now and back to salting to taste. For a while i wasnt able to eat anything without being nauseated, with salt giving me the worse symptoms of all, but once my stress levels dropped i gradually got back to my normal self.
That's awesome! I'm happy you are feeling better