Ingestion of sodium bicarbonate increases the oxidation of fatty acids in humans

aliml

Abstract
We conducted this study to quantify the oxidation of exogenous acetate and to determine the effect of increased acetate availability upon fat and carbohydrate utilization in humans at rest. Eight healthy volunteers (6 males and 2 females) completed 2 separate trials, 7 d apart in a single-blind, randomized, crossover design. On each occasion, respiratory gas and arterialized venous blood samples were taken before and during 180 min following consumption of a drink containing either sodium acetate (NaAc) or NaHCO3 at a dose of 2 mmol/kg body mass. Labeled [1,2 -13C] NaAc was added to the NaAc drink to quantify acetate oxidation. Both sodium salts induced a mild metabolic alkalosis and increased energy expenditure (P < 0.05) to a similar magnitude. NaHCO3 ingestion increased fat utilization from 587 +/- 83 kJ/180 min to 693 +/- 101 kJ/180 min (P = 0.01) with no change in carbohydrate utilization. Following ingestion of NaAc, the amount of fat and carbohydrate utilized did not differ from the preingestion values. However, oxidation of the exogenous acetate almost entirely (90%) replaced the additional fat that had been oxidized during the bicarbonate trial. We determined that 80.1 +/- 2.3% of an exogenous source of acetate is oxidized in humans at rest. Whereas NaHCO3 ingestion increased fat oxidation, a similar response did not occur following NaAc ingestion despite the fact both sodium salts induced a similar increase in energy expenditure and shift in acid-base balance.
Results
...Following ingestion of NaHCO3, plasma glycerol and free fatty acids increased over the initial 60 min postingestion and remained higher than the preingestion concentration over the next 120 min. In contrast, during the NaAc trial, neither plasma glycerol nor FFA concentration changed over the first 60 min postingestion, with the values remaining at ∼53 μmol/L and ∼190 μmol/L, respectively. Plasma FFA was also significantly lower during the NaAc trial compared with the NaHCO3 trial over this period. Between 60 and 90 min after ingestion of NaAc, plasma glycerol and FFA increased by 14 μmol/L and 110 μmol/L, respectively, and did not differ between trials over the last 90 min. There was also no difference between trials in the blood lactate response (P = 0.51), with the plasma concentration decreasing over time in both trials...

Validus

I absolutely love baking soda. It's one of the most underrated "supplements" available, as well as one of the and most cost effective too.

GTW

My grandmother who lived to the age of 103 recommended and practiced baking soda therapy for illness. She said teaspoon in warm water, sip it over 5 min period. In the next half hour you gonna feel better or throw up then feel better.
However, for many purposes I might expect that citrate would be better tolerated and more effective than bicarbonate. Citrate doesn't mess with your stomach but is metabolized to bicarbonate farther along then excreted in urine as bicarbonate with healthy effects in the urinary tract.

frannybananny

My grandmother who lived to the age of 103 recommended and practiced baking soda therapy for illness. She said teaspoon in warm water, sip it over 5 min period. In the next half hour you gonna feel better or throw up then feel better.
However, for many purposes I might expect that citrate would be better tolerated and more effective than bicarbonate. Citrate doesn't mess with your stomach but is metabolized to bicarbonate farther along then excreted in urine as bicarbonate with healthy effects in the urinary tract.
Would potassium Citrate do the same thing? I drink baking soda water almost every night for my acid stomach but perhaps it's too much. I have some potassiuim citrate that I got to replace my potassium gluconate that I take for heart arrythmias occasionally.

frannybananny

Abstract
We conducted this study to quantify the oxidation of exogenous acetate and to determine the effect of increased acetate availability upon fat and carbohydrate utilization in humans at rest. Eight healthy volunteers (6 males and 2 females) completed 2 separate trials, 7 d apart in a single-blind, randomized, crossover design. On each occasion, respiratory gas and arterialized venous blood samples were taken before and during 180 min following consumption of a drink containing either sodium acetate (NaAc) or NaHCO3 at a dose of 2 mmol/kg body mass. Labeled [1,2 -13C] NaAc was added to the NaAc drink to quantify acetate oxidation. Both sodium salts induced a mild metabolic alkalosis and increased energy expenditure (P < 0.05) to a similar magnitude. NaHCO3 ingestion increased fat utilization from 587 +/- 83 kJ/180 min to 693 +/- 101 kJ/180 min (P = 0.01) with no change in carbohydrate utilization. Following ingestion of NaAc, the amount of fat and carbohydrate utilized did not differ from the preingestion values. However, oxidation of the exogenous acetate almost entirely (90%) replaced the additional fat that had been oxidized during the bicarbonate trial. We determined that 80.1 +/- 2.3% of an exogenous source of acetate is oxidized in humans at rest. Whereas NaHCO3 ingestion increased fat oxidation, a similar response did not occur following NaAc ingestion despite the fact both sodium salts induced a similar increase in energy expenditure and shift in acid-base balance.
Results
...Following ingestion of NaHCO3, plasma glycerol and free fatty acids increased over the initial 60 min postingestion and remained higher than the preingestion concentration over the next 120 min. In contrast, during the NaAc trial, neither plasma glycerol nor FFA concentration changed over the first 60 min postingestion, with the values remaining at ∼53 μmol/L and ∼190 μmol/L, respectively. Plasma FFA was also significantly lower during the NaAc trial compared with the NaHCO3 trial over this period. Between 60 and 90 min after ingestion of NaAc, plasma glycerol and FFA increased by 14 μmol/L and 110 μmol/L, respectively, and did not differ between trials over the last 90 min. There was also no difference between trials in the blood lactate response (P = 0.51), with the plasma concentration decreasing over time in both trials...
SO is this fatty oxidation a good thing? I thought I remembered haidut saying that lipid oxidation was not a good thing and caused disease? I am confused now.

GTW

Would potassium Citrate do the same thing? I drink baking soda water almost every night for my acid stomach but perhaps it's too much. I have some potassiuim citrate that I got to replace my potassium gluconate that I take for heart arrythmias occasionally.
Can be. Both are rapidly absorbed and ultimately excreted as bicarbonate, good alkalinity for kidneys and bladder\urinary tract.
Too much potassium or sodium can be harmful. Taking the two together could avoid problems.
Alka Seltzer heartburn formula is sodium. Alka Seltzer Gold is partially potassium.
Blood sodium concentration is 30x potassium. Cell potassium concentration is 10x sodium.
They will be properly distributed eventually to compartments. However, large dose of potassium could be problematic because might upset the K\Na balance "acutely" in blood before it can be distributed.
Re fat oxidation and RQ with exercise, energy from fat is considered good because fat stores in the body can sustain many hours and days vs carb\glucose, so sparing much more limited source of carbs is good.

frannybananny

Can be. Both are rapidly absorbed and ultimately excreted as bicarbonate, good alkalinity for kidneys and bladder\urinary tract.
Too much potassium or sodium can be harmful. Taking the two together could avoid problems.
Alka Seltzer heartburn formula is sodium. Alka Seltzer Gold is partially potassium.
Blood sodium concentration is 30x potassium. Cell potassium concentration is 10x sodium.
They will be properly distributed eventually to compartments. However, large dose of potassium could be problematic because might upset the K\Na balance "acutely" in blood before it can be distributed.
Re fat oxidation and RQ with exercise, energy from fat is considered good because fat stores in the body can sustain many hours and days vs carb\glucose, so sparing much more limited source of carbs is good.
Thanks GTW..... I always avoid taking too much potassium, usually split up a tablet into quarters and just take a small piece only every couple of weeks.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Potassium citrate is a major ingredient of Zeta Aid. It strengthens the blood’s Zeta Potential. It has a 1:3 valence ratio and is therefore anionic. Zeta Aid also contains potassium bicarbonate for pH balance and possibly potassium pyrophosphate, I don’t know the exact ingredients, I just guess from reading Thomas M. Riddick’s book, which had the original formula that Dr. T. C. McDaniel modified for his Zeta Aid.

frannybananny

Potassium citrate is a major ingredient of Zeta Aid. It strengthens the blood’s Zeta Potential. It has a 1:3 valence ratio and is therefore anionic. Zeta Aid also contains potassium bicarbonate for pH balance and possibly potassium pyrophosphate, I don’t know the exact ingredients, I just guess from reading Thomas M. Riddick’s book, which had the original formula that Dr. T. C. McDaniel modified for his Zeta Aid.
Thank you for the info!

GTW

From species-typical evolutionary diet point of view:
Potassium content is relatively high and adequate in both plant and meat. It's bound and slowly digested then absorbed, excess is readily excreted.
Sodium is not high in foods except blood. Or as added salt. Body tends to conserve salt, hedging the dietary bets. (Will your diet have adequate salt tomorrow? Your caveman physiology is worried.)
Modern diets with meat do not contain naturally occurring salt in blood because of butchering practices.
Important point, however. What is excess sodium or potassium dose? Moderately high sodium although readily absorbed is diluted and distributed then excreted. The bad effects are from long term excess.
Potassium as citrate or chloride is rapidly absorbed, unlike potassium in foods. (bananas, potatoes) It's usually quickly excreted when excess. But high doses might cause transient\short term problems. A gram or more potassium citrate not likely trouble for most people.

Last edited:

wzuo

Just dissolve sodium bicarbonate in OJ and you'll get sodium citrate, remove excess citric acid from juice plus it will become carbonized. Great when juice is made not from well ripe fruits.
Can only recommend baking soda, I feel like it boosts my metabolism and mood somehow, especially prepared in a way I've mentioned.

GTW

Just dissolve sodium bicarbonate in OJ and you'll get sodium citrate, remove excess citric acid from juice plus it will become carbonized. Great when juice is made not from well ripe fruits.
Can only recommend baking soda, I feel like it boosts my metabolism and mood somehow, especially prepared in a way I've mentioned.
What do you mean, carbonized?
Organic chemistry is about carbon-containing molecules. Citric acid is a tricarboxylic acid. That is, three COOH groups on the same molecule.
By combining citric acid in orange or lemon juice with baking soda\bicarbonate you are titrating, neutralizing. However, unlikely not to have some remaining acid or base. Not to worry, moderate amounts are not harmful. It's more about the taste.

GTW

BTW, many people with heartburn, so-called, actually have low, not high, stomach acidity. Even relatively low stomach acid is corrosive to the oesophagus. But with higher stomach acidity the upper valve closes, preventing reflux. With low stomach acidity the food doesn't digest well and the lower valve remains shut while the upper valve remains open, allowing reflux.
Or, so I understand it. Antacids, PPIs, etc may be counterproductive.

wzuo

What do you mean, carbonized?
Organic chemistry is about carbon-containing molecules. Citric acid is a tricarboxylic acid. That is, three COOH groups on the same molecule.
By combining citric acid in orange or lemon juice with baking soda\bicarbonate you are titrating, neutralizing. However, unlikely not to have some remaining acid or base. Not to worry, moderate amounts are not harmful. It's more about the taste.
Sodium bicarbonate reacts with citric acid and produces sodium citrate, and carbon dioxide. When I buy juice from not ripe oranges it is good method to make them taste better, and save your teeth too due to acidic juice.
How many citric acid will remain it depends on how much sodium you'll use in reaction.
Of course be aware as it will expand so it can spill out of the glass.

GTW

Sodium bicarbonate reacts with citric acid and produces sodium citrate, and carbon dioxide. When I buy juice from not ripe oranges it is good method to make them taste better, and save your teeth too due to acidic juice.
How many citric acid will remain it depends on how much sodium you'll use in reaction.
Of course be aware as it will expand so it can spill out of the glass.
Understood. Carbonation from the generation of carbonic acid. Some H2CO3 decomposes to H2O and CO2. Some remains. Complete reaction of citric acid and bicarbonate leaves some acidity as carbonic acid.
Citric acid has an interesting property that it stimulates alkaline saliva.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals