I Feel Terrible On Very Low Fat

Xhale1991

I've been trying out a very low fat diet for the past month, and I am feeling absolutely horrible. I've been keeping fats at about 30 grams a day while eating 130g protein and 500g of carbs. I live a very sedentary lifestyle. Most of my fat comes milk/eggs with the rest of my calories coming from primarily fruits and some starches. I'm finding it very hard to concentrate and always feel very "wired". Even at bedtime it has become very difficult for me to relax. Should I cut back some on the carbs and up my fats to 50-60 grams? Has anyone else experienced this when trying to go the low fat route?

What's your height and weight?

I live a very sedentary lifestyle.

That's probably one factor. At least go for a walk and lift some easy weights. Positive Peat Quotes On Exercise

with the rest of my calories coming from primarily fruits

You have access to and can afford that much fruit in AZ? Is it organic? If not you may be ingesting lots of pesticides.

Could be supplements/drugs you're taking.

If I lived in AZ, I'd lay out in the sun at least 4 times a week.

Also, how much muscle meats are you eating because 130g of protein is a lot and if you're not balancing all that muscle meat with glycine then that will feel bad.

Last edited:
OP
X

Xhale1991

5'10, 170lbs.

Yes I buy all my fruit from Whole Foods. I also drink orange juice and eat potatoes.

I eat steak a few times a week but almost all of my protein comes from dairy.

Due to some health issues I am unable to do any real exercise right now. I already walk for about 30 mins a day though.

Mage

@Westside PUFAs Sorry to interrupt, but do you believe in Denise Minger's term "Carbosis"?

Could it be that his fats "are not low enough", so he is not entering such state?

Damn.. I just sounded like one of those keto maniacs..

Tarmander

it sounds like your getting some kind of glutamate reaction. You dosing high on anything with MSG? Any powdered proteins?

Yes I buy all my fruit from Whole Foods.

WF sells conventional fruit too.

and eat potatoes.

Potatoes Aren't Peaty

Due to some health issues I am unable to do any real exercise right now.

What are the issues?

@Westside PUFAs Sorry to interrupt, but do you believe in Denise Minger's term "Carbosis"?

Could it be that his fats "are not low enough", so he is not entering such state?

Damn.. I just sounded like one of those keto maniacs..

I like the concept of carbosis as a template. It could be many things. We don't see the full picture of what a person is doing from a few sentences on a forum and we don't know a persons history. I'm always skeptical of anyone who claims to eat lots of organic fruit every single day as a major source of calories because fruit is expensive and it's hard to get ripe, sweet, nutritious, organic fruit, especially daily, unless you buy directly from the produce distribution centers, which most don't. I don't think starch and dairy mix. I think for anyone to be successful at eating any kind of starch consistently the diet has to be 100% dairy free. Most aren't willing to give up dairy. So if that's the case then this person should try going full "Peat" and nix the spuds and do the Danny Roddy style of Peating with more cheese and coconut oil and canned oysters. But if that fails, just adding spuds with butter won't fix it imo, because of what I said about starch and dairy. I think what people say about endotoxin and starch is actually starch+dairy, not the starch itself.

opiath

If you have high stress levels due to undereating it might take a long time to bring them down.
With high adrenaline you always have unstable lipolysis and randle cycle pushed into fat oxidation.
This means you burn fat whether you eat it or not.
If a lot of PUFA is being released it will disrupt metabolism and fat loss will actually be slow.
If your fat digestion is good I'd say go for at least 60g dietary (dairy/coconut).

And yes very often people who try to do low fat don't realize how much fat they are really ingesting. Also, it takes about 3 months to adapt to low fat for most.

Peatful

I've been trying out a very low fat diet for the past month, and I am feeling absolutely horrible. I've been keeping fats at about 30 grams a day while eating 130g protein and 500g of carbs. I live a very sedentary lifestyle. Most of my fat comes milk/eggs with the rest of my calories coming from primarily fruits and some starches. I'm finding it very hard to concentrate and always feel very "wired". Even at bedtime it has become very difficult for me to relax. Should I cut back some on the carbs and up my fats to 50-60 grams? Has anyone else experienced this when trying to go the low fat route?
I immediately thought blood sugar handling issues.
Yes, up your fat intake to see if that balances u.
Maybe your adrenals are pumping out cortisol to try to manage blood sugar dysregulation ....

Atalanta

WF sells conventional fruit too.

I like the concept of carbosis as a template. It could be many things. We don't see the full picture of what a person is doing from a few sentences on a forum and we don't know a persons history. I'm always skeptical of anyone who claims to eat lots of organic fruit every single day as a major source of calories because fruit is expensive and it's hard to get ripe, sweet, nutritious, organic fruit, especially daily, unless you buy directly from the produce distribution centers, which most don't. I don't think starch and dairy mix. I think for anyone to be successful at eating any kind of starch consistently the diet has to be 100% dairy free. Most aren't willing to give up dairy. So if that's the case then this person should try going full "Peat" and nix the spuds and do the Danny Roddy style of Peating with more cheese and coconut oil and canned oysters. But if that fails, just adding spuds with butter won't fix it imo, because of what I said about starch and dairy. I think what people say about endotoxin and starch is actually starch+dairy, not the starch itself.

What led you to this conclusion?

What led you to this conclusion?

A few things. I can get away with some skimmed sheep or goat yogurt but if I overdo dairy, especially most cheeses, it creates a breeding ground for bacteria. I think it's the fat in dairy that is the driving force for endotoxin as in tyw's "endotoxin and fat consumption" thread, and bacteria can eat lactose and casein too. Anecdotally, people I've met in person and follow online who are successful starchivores do not mix starch with dairy at all and most starchivore populations without high rates of heart disease or cancer did not/do not consume dairy. The fact is dairy is a problemiactc food for many people but because it's so pleasurable and convenient most aren't willing to give it up for a proper amount of a trial period but to make it even harder most aren't willing to also then cook and prepare their new foods with dairy gone. It's a double-whammy and the starch never gets it's proper chance with the person.

I did too. Not anymore. It was PUFAs all along. Took a year on and off so now I can go very low fat without feeling sick.

Velve921

For many people, going low fat and high carb can initially feel uncomfortable as I believe a couple of things can happen:

1. Speeding up the metabolism; therefore, refeeding of carbs is crucial. In other words, you'll need to continue dosing high amounts of carbs to match the metabolic rate.
2. The body may not be able to store glycogen efficiently as it adapted to a fatty acid metabolism. Therefore, it can be hard to sleep at night without a large fat dose.

I'm 3.3 years into Peat's wisdom, I still need around 80-100 grams of fat per day. At one point I needed 150 grams of fat to get through the day. I would recommend a large dose of saturated fat before bed time (50grams). Some people have success going low fat quickly, for many others that may not be the case.

Mage

We don't see the full picture of what a person is doing from a few sentences on a forum and we don't know a persons history. I'm always skeptical of anyone who claims to eat lots of organic fruit every single day as a major source of calories because fruit is expensive and it's hard to get ripe, sweet, nutritious, organic fruit, especially daily, unless you buy directly from the produce distribution centers, which most don't.

Indeed, it's hard to see the full picture of what someone's really doing.. and yep, fruits can be pretty expensive on the long run..

Anecdotally, people I've met in person and follow online who are successful starchivores do not mix starch with dairy at all and most starchivore populations without high rates of heart disease or cancer did not/do not consume dairy. The fact is dairy is a problemiactc food for many people but because it's so pleasurable and convenient most aren't willing to give it up for a proper amount of a trial period but to make it even harder most aren't willing to also then cook and prepare their new foods with dairy gone. It's a double-whammy and the starch never gets it's proper chance with the person.

Hmmm.. so far I seem to be doing well on dairy+starch, but I'll do a dairy-free trial period. Pritikin's recommendations included skim dairy, but you might have a point with the casein thing. It's not only convenient, it's an easy source of various nutrients, but I'm after maintaining good health, even at the expense of convenience. Also, how do you ensure the "peaty" Po:Ca ratio of 2:1 or under without dairy? Eggshells? How much calcium are you consuming? I'm having trouble with mainting that ratio with a lot of starch.

Just eat fat then, mostly of the saturated variety. Why go against what your body is telling you?

Richiebogie

Some raw vegans promote an 80 10 10 diet to help with blood sugar regulation.

In that case your issue may be too much protein rather than too little fat.

You could try reducing protein to 10% of calories.

Eg 3000 calories with an 80 10 10 ratio of carbs to fat to protein would require approximately:

600g carbs, 30g fat, 75g protein

Walking is good exercise. You can try adding short 50 meter jogs to build up strength.

Further to @Westside PUFAs idea, I stopped eating dairy 10 days ago on a 3 month trial. Last night my friend started grating his parmigiano reggiano block while I was eating potatoes, lamb shanks and Brussels sprouts. I almost gagged from the smell of the parmasan.

Before I loved this cheese...

Last edited:

walker_in_aus

I would say if you are ill in anyway then doing an extreme diet might not be beneficial right now? Keep in mind any extreme macro ratios might not be ok for you personally. You need fats to absorb the fat soluble vitamins. If you are deficient in these and you go too low in fat it will not be good!

What are you doing low fat for? I had to eat in excess and take lots of A, E, D and K before my body could cope with lowering calories and lowering fat.

Do you have a doctor or health professional helping you?

I think the whole point of "Peating" is to improve your health. Do not do anything extreme, especially if its for weight loss, unless you are already feeling a lot better and happier. Weight loss is a stress on the body and a lot of people end up here from years of trying to "Be Healthy/Skinny".

In the words of NateDawg about doing low fat. If you feel uncomfortable, stop, and eat some butter.

mattyb

I was on a low-fat diet for years, and that unsettled-always-wired feeling began after a few months and persisted for years. I couldn't even tolerate caffeine, my skin quality degraded significantly, I had issues with depression and anxiety. Best thing I ever did for my health was increase my fat intake to ~70g per day and supplement the fat soluble vitamins. After one month of that it turned everything around. I'm much more calm and focused than before, I can tolerate caffeine again, and I have zero problems with energy levels.

I wrote a testimonial in the testimonial section of this website if you want to read through it. It's pretty detailed.

tara

As another variable to consider, have you experimented with meal timing?

Wagner83

If I tried to get most of calories from fruits I'd be feeding myself with a ***t ton of fibers, unripe fruits or fruits that can actually have a bad effect in large quantities ( some have reported this with bananas, dates made me sick ).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals