PUFA Counting Question

sladerunner69

I was thinking about pufa grams today. Well, actually saturated fat grams. On my milk it says 12g total fat. So because milk fat is animal fat, aand contains <10% pufa, than i would calculate that 12g total fat-2 grams polyunsaturated should = 10g saturated fat. But listed it reads 7 grams saturated fat. So where are the other 3 grams of fat? Is it in Monounsaturated? I believe i have been consuming far more unsaturated fats then i have been les to believe, primarily monounsaturated fats.

Also, why do i feel relaxed after consuming fats? I feel quite anxious theoigh the day when i am only eating sugars and coffee and a bit of protein and saturated fat. When i eat a few nuts or fish i get very relaxed, it actually feels nice but i acknowledge that my metabolism is probably slowing down.

tara

Are you allowing for the MUFAs?

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

Are you allowing for the MUFAs?

No I wasnt. I wasnt aware that whole milk had all of that unsaturated fat. 5 grams per glass is quite a lot.

Do you consume unsaturated fats tara? And when youd o, do you feel more relaxed? I am trying to understand why I am more comfortable after eating nuts.

EIRE24

No I wasnt. I wasnt aware that whole milk had all of that unsaturated fat. 5 grams per glass is quite a lot.

Do you consume unsaturated fats tara? And when youd o, do you feel more relaxed? I am trying to understand why I am more comfortable after eating nuts.
Could have to do with the calories? Nuts are a high cal, low liquid food. I know it's full of pufas but I can't really think of anything else?

tara

I generally try to avoid anything with high PUFA concentration, except when courtesy or necessity override (rarely). Occasionally might have a couple of almonds or cashews by choice, and the occasional bowl of porridge, or salmon sushi for a treat, or some food with a little incidental PUFA - I'm not super strict if there is something I feel like eating. I'm definitely not on a very low fat diet like some here, and I think some fat may have a calming effect on me - I eat meat and a little coconut oil and eggs most days and sometimes dairy and chocolate - so I'd get a little PUFA and more MUFA from them.

I used to eat a lot more PUFA before reading Peat. I think I might be able to see a pattern in hindsight of high PUFA meals making me feel sluggish and unwell, and maybe also of some higher PUFA foods being able to keep me from feeling hungry for longer - maybe some direct metabolism lowering effect that made the fuel supply burn more slowly? Tahini and whole grains were amongst them, and sunflower seeds. Also has a bit of calcium in tahini.

Velve921

I was thinking about pufa grams today. Well, actually saturated fat grams. On my milk it says 12g total fat. So because milk fat is animal fat, aand contains <10% pufa, than i would calculate that 12g total fat-2 grams polyunsaturated should = 10g saturated fat. But listed it reads 7 grams saturated fat. So where are the other 3 grams of fat? Is it in Monounsaturated? I believe i have been consuming far more unsaturated fats then i have been les to believe, primarily monounsaturated fats.

Also, why do i feel relaxed after consuming fats? I feel quite anxious theoigh the day when i am only eating sugars and coffee and a bit of protein and saturated fat. When i eat a few nuts or fish i get very relaxed, it actually feels nice but i acknowledge that my metabolism is probably slowing down.

I feel the same effects; if I drop my fat intake below 100 grams a day I become anxious and irritable. I have to consume ice cream, dark chocolate, and hard cheese before bed time or else I wake up multiple times per night. From years of high fat dieting I believe my body has become a comfortable fat oxidizer; I've thought about depleting my fat intake in order to re teach my body how to use sugar for energy. However, I am not prepared to go countless sleepless nights and days of irritability until my body adapts as of yet. Coconut oil, butter, milk, ice cream, dark chocolate, eggs, and hard cheese lower my anxiety immensely. I think your idea of fat lowering the metabolism could be a valid idea; if I go low fat for a day I have to constantly drink OJ (500 grams of sugar +) in order to stay focused.

EIRE24

I feel the same effects; if I drop my fat intake below 100 grams a day I become anxious and irritable. I have to consume ice cream, dark chocolate, and hard cheese before bed time or else I wake up multiple times per night. From years of high fat dieting I believe my body has become a comfortable fat oxidizer; I've thought about depleting my fat intake in order to re teach my body how to use sugar for energy. However, I am not prepared to go countless sleepless nights and days of irritability until my body adapts as of yet. Coconut oil, butter, milk, ice cream, dark chocolate, eggs, and hard cheese lower my anxiety immensely. I think your idea of fat lowering the metabolism could be a valid idea; if I go low fat for a day I have to constantly drink OJ (500 grams of sugar +) in order to stay focused.

Do you find it hard to stay lean or lost fat with this amount of fat intake?

Velve921

Do you find it hard to stay lean or lost fat with this amount of fat intake?

It's kind of a complicated answer. 2.5 years ago when I started following Peats work I went from a diet of no sugar and high PUFA to a diet of high sugar/high saturated fat (2000 - 5000 cals); therefore, I put on a lot of fat initially as my body is that damaged. 2.5 years later I've leaned down a lot and put on an immense Amount of muscle. If I went low fat I would lean down faster for sure but I'd also never sleep at night. So my belief is over time I will lean down a lot more and fat intake will decrease; however, life can be so stressful that I don't know if I'll ever be able to get there as high saturated fat makes me feel my best at the moment.

So at this point in time my answer is everything's really depends on the person, their physiology, and the stress they are currently dealing with.

EIRE24

It's kind of a complicated answer. 2.5 years ago when I started following Peats work I went from a diet of no sugar and high PUFA to a diet of high sugar/high saturated fat (2000 - 5000 cals); therefore, I put on a lot of fat initially as my body is that damaged. 2.5 years later I've leaned down a lot and put on an immense Amount of muscle. If I went low fat I would lean down faster for sure but I'd also never sleep at night. So my belief is over time I will lean down a lot more and fat intake will decrease; however, life can be so stressful that I don't know if I'll ever be able to get there as high saturated fat makes me feel my best at the moment.

So at this point in time my answer is everything's really depends on the person, their physiology, and the stress they are currently dealing with.
Solid answer.

Giraffe

I was thinking about pufa grams today. Well, actually saturated fat grams. On my milk it says 12g total fat. So because milk fat is animal fat, aand contains <10% pufa, than i would calculate that 12g total fat-2 grams polyunsaturated should = 10g saturated fat. But listed it reads 7 grams saturated fat. So where are the other 3 grams of fat? Is it in Monounsaturated?
A little over 60% of the fat in milk/dairy is saturated. PUFAs is around 4%.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals