I appear to be allergic to OJ and dairy

javacody

So. I've been having some significant congestion in my left ear. It's so bad that it makes the left side of my face hurt, from my jaw and teeth, to my temple and left forehead.

I took some ephedrine as a decongestant (because I had it) and lo and behold, the congestion and pain went away completely.

I quit dairy and OJ because I wasn't losing weight at about the same time.

That was about a month ago.

4 days ago I started dairy and OJ again. Guess what is back? Yep, the congestion in my left sinus. I'm in so much pain right now.

I took some zyrtec and some allegra today. No effect. I just finally took some pseudoephedrine an hour ago, and still, little to no relief. The pain is down maybe 20%.

I hate to take ephedrine.

Any suggestions on how to handle this apparent allergy?

moss

A quick thought for right now

Make up a hypertonic solution, which is sugar and salt (generous dose of both) in warm water and sip.
I find this really helps reducing congestion/allergenicity and salt is particularly helpful in reducing histamine/adrenalin.
Fingers cross

OP
J

javacody

moss said:
post 104823 A quick thought for right now

Make up a hypertonic solution, which is sugar and salt (generous dose of both) in warm water and sip.
I find this helps really helps reducing congestion/allergenicity and salt is particularly helpful in reducing histamine/adrenalin.
Fingers cross

I just ate about 100 grams worth of sugar (in the form of candy) and I'm drinking Sparkling mineral water. Close enough? I'm actually feeling better by the minute!

:hattip

Thank you moss for helping me find some quick relief! The pain isn't gone but it is bearable.

Last edited by a moderator:

moss

OK the glucose is covered!
I would still go for the salt in warm water and sip, expect you may get relief for the short-term at least.

FredSonoma

What kind of OJ and what kind of dairy is it? If I use store-bought dairy I feel awful (serotonin-like reaction, anxious, tired, and down). If I use non-organic orange juice I get all kinds of phlegm and my stomach hurts. If you live near a Costco, their Organic OJ is only $8 a gallon, taste greats and feels pretty good. If you can't find a brand of milk that works, trying raw milk (if you can find it) MIGHT work. I know Ray Peat prefers pasteurized but I've found that raw makes me feel much better.

Lightbringer

javacody said:
post 104820 So. I've been having some significant congestion in my left ear. It's so bad that it makes the left side of my face hurt, from my jaw and teeth, to my temple and left forehead.

I took some ephedrine as a decongestant (because I had it) and lo and behold, the congestion and pain went away completely.

4 days ago I started dairy and OJ again. Guess what is back? Yep, the congestion in my left sinus. I'm in so much pain right now.

I took some zyrtec and some allegra today. No effect. I just finally took some pseudoephedrine an hour ago, and still, little to no relief. The pain is down maybe 20%.

Are you talking about milk or cheese? I've had congestion issues with Milk. Using cheese like slightly melted cheddar made dairy very accessible for me.
Pulp free OJ from concentrate also works ok for me.

OP
J

javacody

Kaspar_Hauser said:
post 104859
javacody said:
post 104820 So. I've been having some significant congestion in my left ear. It's so bad that it makes the left side of my face hurt, from my jaw and teeth, to my temple and left forehead.

Are you talking about milk or cheese? I've had congestion issues with Milk. Using cheese like slightly melted cheddar made dairy very accessible for me.

I've tried skim milk, 1% milk, fat free mozzarella, 2% cheddar, etc. All cause me issues.

I've been using the Walmart brand pulp free OJ.

I'm thinking something is really wrong with my gut.

Lightbringer

javacody said:
post 104863
Kaspar_Hauser said:
post 104859
javacody said:

I've tried skim milk, 1% milk, fat free mozzarella, 2% cheddar, etc. All cause me issues.

I've been using the Walmart brand pulp free OJ.

I'm thinking something is really wrong with my gut.

I haven't tried antibiotics but Cypro helped my digestion. Have you tried that ? In terms of fruit, how do you d with apples ? I've found apples to always help push things along if you dont have carrots handy.

tara

I don't seem to feel good with more than a litre of OJ a day (commercial + baking soda), and more than a little milk. Some people can have personal allergies and intolerances - there are at least a couple here who have avoided OJ. I drink at least a litre of clear apple juice a day, and sometimes other juices for variety, and get most of my protein from other sources. Unripe OJ may contain a bit too much citric acid.

I guess you've come across Peat's idea that diphenhydramine and cyproheptadine are probably safer than cetrizine and other latter day antihistamines. If salt and sugar do it, so much the better.

OP
J

javacody

Thanks for commenting tara and Kaspar.

Apple Juice gives me instant stomach pain. The kind that makes me want to roll up into a fetal ball.

I can eat apple sauce and cooked apples, though. They may have to be my go to fruit.

For the antihistamines, It was kind of an emergency, so I went with what I could get over the counter that would hopefully not knock me out.

I need to order some cyproheptadine and start taking it when I've got a week or two of vacation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals