How To Rebalance Microbiome After Antibiotics

Discussion in 'Ask For Help or Advice' started by Peata, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Peata

Peata Member

I'm finishing up a course of antibiotics tomorrow (prescribed to ward off possible infection from a dermatological surgery last Tues.) and am pondering what to do to help replenish my gut? I am just this morning starting to feel the effect of yeast overpopulation (ladies will know what I'm talking about). I may have a bottle of probiotics around, or should I eat some pickled things, or even roll around in the dirt a bit?

Any suggestions?

It's all very mild right now, and I'd like to try something to head it off that is "free" - in that I already have the treatment at the house or can get easily - without it being an actual medication, if you see what I mean.

I will finish the last pill tomorrow morning.

2. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

Carrot salad.

3. OP
    Peata

Peata Member

I've been having a daily carrot, but neglecting to grate it and use oil, vinegar, and salt, so I will get to that. Thanks for the reminder.

4. HDD

HDD Member

Coconut oil is anti microbial and antifungal.

5. Mittir

Mittir Member

Here is a quote from RP .
    "It's important to get some
    vitamin K1 or K2 when you use an antibiotic (liver or kale, or supplements)."

In addition to having carrot salad, avoiding starch and soluble fiber is necessary to
    inhibit bad bacteria growth. I cut carrot longitudinally into long sticks and use coconut oil + vinegar
    as dipping sauce. Skipping vinegar does not make much difference for me.

6. HDD

HDD Member

If you are supplementing with baking soda, you might try cutting back on it for a little while. This made a difference for me.

7. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

Interesting, Mittir. So you don't actually grate the carrot, you simply slice it into thin sticks?
    I find it next to impossible to grate a carrot longitudinally so this is a good option. :thumbup

8. HDD

HDD Member

I use a potato peeler to make my logitudinal strips.

9. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

:lol: Nearly spit coffee through my nose reading that as I imagined myself using my potato peeler to peel the outer layer and then try as I might to grate longitudinal strips with my grater! :doh

10. HDD

HDD Member

I wonder if there would be any benefit keeping the outer hairy part. I just lightly scrape the outer dirt off with a knife and then the peeler makes nice long curls. When it gets too thin too hold I eat it.

11. HDD

HDD Member

Peata posted an article about dirt. Maybe carrot dirt would be beneficial? I used to pay lots of money for dirt from Garden of Eden. :lol:

12. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

WARNING: This is an adult joke. Do not click if you are easily offended.

Dirty Hairy

13. HDD

HDD Member

:rolling :rolling I've seen those before. :mrgreen:

14. OP
    Peata

Peata Member

I buy a bag of organic carrots (gives me some peace of mind about not washing/peeling them) and yes, I eat the hairy part, lol.

15. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

:rolling

16. Beebop

Beebop Member

There is a really good thread in the Ray Peat debate section about gut flora. I found it helpful, particularly Peatarian's posts.

17. HDD

HDD Member

Beebop are you referring to the long post Peatarian did in the thread "Are there any Peat friendly probiotics?" If it is, it can be found under the "supplements" section. Hoppimike asked the question and she answered on the first page. Sorry I couldn't link if anyone is trying to find it.

18. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

That's the only thread I could think of as well.

Link to Thread

19. Beebop

Beebop Member

Sorry - yes that's the post I meant, I conflated the two threads in my mind!
    It's an excellent post.

20. OP
    Peata

Peata Member

Thanks guys, I've read some of that link before, went back to read more last night.

Here is a Josh Rubin video about how PUFA feeds yeast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta28jJ9e_Uc

I am already doing the things he recs - all the Peat things, btw, and I think that's why I don't have a full blown yeast problem from the antibiotics. In fact, it's already going away on its own. I think yesterday was the "high point" for it and even then it was more an annoyance than a full-on problem.

It's something how before I found Peat I would have been trying to restrict sugar to not feed the yeast, probably taking an anti-candida cleanse from the HFS ($$!) and maybe using a cream from the drugstore...and now doing Peat I've been having more sugar if anything, and my body seems to be normalizing the yeast population on its own. Of course I'm very low PUFA, high sat. fat, sugar, salt, gelatin, protein, etc for a few months.