How To Rebalance Microbiome After Antibiotics

Peata

I'm finishing up a course of antibiotics tomorrow (prescribed to ward off possible infection from a dermatological surgery last Tues.) and am pondering what to do to help replenish my gut? I am just this morning starting to feel the effect of yeast overpopulation (ladies will know what I'm talking about). I may have a bottle of probiotics around, or should I eat some pickled things, or even roll around in the dirt a bit?

Any suggestions?

It's all very mild right now, and I'd like to try something to head it off that is "free" - in that I already have the treatment at the house or can get easily - without it being an actual medication, if you see what I mean.

I will finish the last pill tomorrow morning.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Carrot salad.

OP
Peata

Peata

I've been having a daily carrot, but neglecting to grate it and use oil, vinegar, and salt, so I will get to that. Thanks for the reminder.

Mittir

Here is a quote from RP .
"It's important to get some
vitamin K1 or K2 when you use an antibiotic (liver or kale, or supplements)."

In addition to having carrot salad, avoiding starch and soluble fiber is necessary to
inhibit bad bacteria growth. I cut carrot longitudinally into long sticks and use coconut oil + vinegar
as dipping sauce. Skipping vinegar does not make much difference for me.

HDD

If you are supplementing with baking soda, you might try cutting back on it for a little while. This made a difference for me.

4peatssake

Mittir said:
Here is a quote from RP .
"It's important to get some
vitamin K1 or K2 when you use an antibiotic (liver or kale, or supplements)."

In addition to having carrot salad, avoiding starch and soluble fiber is necessary to
inhibit bad bacteria growth. I cut carrot longitudinally into long sticks and use coconut oil + vinegar
as dipping sauce. Skipping vinegar does not make much difference for me.
Interesting, Mittir. So you don't actually grate the carrot, you simply slice it into thin sticks?
I find it next to impossible to grate a carrot longitudinally so this is a good option. :thumbup

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
I use a potato peeler to make my logitudinal strips.
:lol: Nearly spit coffee through my nose reading that as I imagined myself using my potato peeler to peel the outer layer and then try as I might to grate longitudinal strips with my grater! :doh

HDD

I wonder if there would be any benefit keeping the outer hairy part. I just lightly scrape the outer dirt off with a knife and then the peeler makes nice long curls. When it gets too thin too hold I eat it.

HDD

Peata posted an article about dirt. Maybe carrot dirt would be beneficial? I used to pay lots of money for dirt from Garden of Eden. :lol:

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
I wonder if there would be any benefit keeping the outer hairy part. article about dirt. Maybe carrot dirt would be beneficial? :lol:
WARNING: This is an adult joke. Do not click if you are easily offended.

Dirty Hairy

OP
Peata

Peata

Haagendazendiane said:
I wonder if there would be any benefit keeping the outer hairy part. I just lightly scrape the outer dirt off with a knife and then the peeler makes nice long curls. When it gets too thin too hold I eat it.

I buy a bag of organic carrots (gives me some peace of mind about not washing/peeling them) and yes, I eat the hairy part, lol.

4peatssake

Peata said:
Haagendazendiane said:
I buy a bag of organic carrots (gives me some peace of mind about not washing/peeling them) and yes, I eat the hairy part, lol.
:rolling

Beebop

There is a really good thread in the Ray Peat debate section about gut flora. I found it helpful, particularly Peatarian's posts.

HDD

Beebop are you referring to the long post Peatarian did in the thread "Are there any Peat friendly probiotics?" If it is, it can be found under the "supplements" section. Hoppimike asked the question and she answered on the first page. Sorry I couldn't link if anyone is trying to find it.

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
Beebop are you referring to the long post Peatarian did in the thread "Are there any Peat friendly probiotics?" If it is, it can be found under the "supplements" section. Hoppimike asked the question and she answered on the first page. Sorry I couldn't link if anyone is trying to find it.
That's the only thread I could think of as well.

Link to Thread

Beebop

Sorry - yes that's the post I meant, I conflated the two threads in my mind!
It's an excellent post.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks guys, I've read some of that link before, went back to read more last night.

Here is a Josh Rubin video about how PUFA feeds yeast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta28jJ9e_Uc

I am already doing the things he recs - all the Peat things, btw, and I think that's why I don't have a full blown yeast problem from the antibiotics. In fact, it's already going away on its own. I think yesterday was the "high point" for it and even then it was more an annoyance than a full-on problem.

It's something how before I found Peat I would have been trying to restrict sugar to not feed the yeast, probably taking an anti-candida cleanse from the HFS ($$!) and maybe using a cream from the drugstore...and now doing Peat I've been having more sugar if anything, and my body seems to be normalizing the yeast population on its own. Of course I'm very low PUFA, high sat. fat, sugar, salt, gelatin, protein, etc for a few months.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals