How To Counter High Serotonin From SSRI's

Arclight

I'm currently on SSRI's, and I sure am focused on tapering them, but it takes time and is often a drawn out process.
Since high serotonin is something I'd like to avoid, and since the somewhat anxiety suppressing qualities of the meds probably stems from whole other mechanisms, I have begun to think about ways to lower serotonin levels as effectively as possible, while doing no harm. I'm looking for input on this.
Is there a way to mitigate the increased serotonin levels caused by these medications?

Richiebogie

My friend was on Paroxetine for 15 years. Then he tapered across to Escitalopram over 8 weeks (just being super cautious I cut 4 weeks each of old and new tablets into various sizes, then ordered each by size and slowly downsized the Paroxetine while introducing and upsizing the Escitalopram).

As he works from home around this time he got a dog and he takes her everywhere. They give each other a lot of emotional support. (Dogs are pure love).

He has been removing a lot of negative people from his life. (He is very gentle and as a child had a stammer which even now takes a lot of concentration for him to talk without stuttering. Many people seem to treat him as stupid and bully him but he is the wisest person I know).

He has learned that the state is not necessarily altruistic and to be wary of people who say "I am a good person" when you first meet them.

18 months ago I discovered Peat so he has increased his fruit intake and dropped fish oil and deep fried food and biscuits.

Now 18 months later he tapered off Escitalopram quite quickly. He has been on 200g aspirin with his daily cappuccino for a week now and he feels ok.

So battling depression is a combination of diet, lifestyle, healthy suspicion, removing or limiting ties with toxic people and situations etc.

Re serotonin, are you taking the grated carrot with salt, vinegar and oil regularly?

cut 4 weeks each of old and new tablets into various sizes, then ordered each by size and slowly downsized the Paroxetine while introducing and upsizing the Escitalopram).

Was the doctor ok with that?

Richiebogie

Was the doctor ok with that?

I think the psychiatrist was ok but he was surprised by the thoroughness and gradualness of the simultaneous tapering down & tapering up! He may have thought doing this over 2 days would have been sufficient.

My friend had once had nightmares when he had missed a few days of Paxil. After that I learned about the potential for brain zaps and nightmares from sudden Paxil withdrawal online.

We also found that his chemist knew of the potential issues with SSRI withdrawal and gave my friend an emergency week's worth of tablets as he had accidentally run out of both tablets and prescriptions.

I think the psychiatrist was ok but he was surprised by the thoroughness and gradualness of the simultaneous tapering down & tapering up! He may have thought doing this over 2 days would have been sufficient.

My friend had once had nightmares when he had missed a few days of Paxil. After that I learned about the potential for brain zaps and nightmares from sudden Paxil withdrawal online.

We also found that his chemist knew of the potential issues with SSRI withdrawal and gave my friend an emergency week's worth of tablets as he had accidentally run out of both tablets and prescriptions.

I think the withdrawal from the suppressive action of serotonin causes unconscious thought to manifest itself, so he might have some issues to deal with in the past. Once this guy is off medication for a couple months, he could try something that lowers serotonin to uncover the problems a little at a time.

Makrosky

I think the withdrawal from the suppressive action of serotonin causes unconscious thought to manifest itself, so he might have some issues to deal with in the past. Once this guy is off medication for a couple months, he could try something that lowers serotonin to uncover the problems a little at a time.
Yeah +1, it's like you encounter what you left behind when you started the SSRI.

I would add that BE VERY CAREFUL of antiserotonin drugs because you are so used to rely on serotonin for metabolism and specially mood that a sudden drop in serotonin can leave you totally wrecked or even suicidal as I read in one testimony of a tianeptine user. I also experienced a very profound sink in mood the first time I used tianeptine. I was so afraid that I didn't try it again until a few months of Peat nutrition and other supps. For instance now I can take tianeptine like candy, no problem whatsoever. So remember to start veeeeeeeeery slowly and carefully.

Richiebogie

He's been off Escitalopram and on 200mg aspirin for a month now.

He doesn't seem much changed.

Still no sex drive but he prefers this. (He knows a retired guy who is totally obsessed with sex - every waking moment.) I reckon it is best to have some sex drive to lead a balanced life!

DaveFoster

The Foster Protocol :cool
Dat's right. Call me
hanyolo.jpg~original

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals