How Bad Are Store Bought OJ From Concentrate?

Uselis

I've finally found OJ that isn't sour or acidic. In fact shortly after drinking ot my face looks sort of uplifted for awhile. I used to try Don Simon's supposedly fresh OJ but taste felt as if I'd be chewing lemon. This one particular brand called Elmenhorster but I can't find much info whether they put some artificial flavouring or not.

Any concerns?

Thanks

Connor888

Not sure but I know Don Simon's is really horrible tasting like you say. Far too bitter.. I buy Eager Orange Juice from Ocado now and its less bitter

OP
U

Uselis

Not sure but I know Don Simon's is really horrible tasting like you say. Far too bitter.. I buy Eager Orange Juice from Ocado now and its less bitter

And it's like 1 euro more expensive here. They have grape and tangerine which taste equally bad.

ursidae

Carton packaging lined with plastic on the inside- BPA
If concentrate water used might be fluoride laden
pasteurisation - nutrient loss

I don’t know much else about the production process but likely more toxins are accumulated along the way. Still, citrus is hard on the gut so I wouldn’t be surprised if people have higher tolerance for the more processed forms of it

Last edited:

opson123

This is a comment I saw a while back in a reddit thread, take it with a grain of salt. I believe it's pretty easy to confirm though.

I'll add that if you ever decide to try drinking OJ and don't press it yourself then go for frozen concentrate. The part below is from reddit.

"Fresh-squeezed" is marketing. You can deliver orange juice year-round in three ways:
  1. buy fresh oranges and squeeze them yourself.
  2. squeeze the oranges, remove most of the water and freeze the concentrate. This is sold as frozen concentrate.
  3. squeeze the oranges, then separate all the components of the juice mechanically and chemically. Store the various components in huge tanks - sometimes for years. Then mix it with flavors and preservatives, bottle it, and sell it before it separates again. This is sold as fresh squeezed, because it's never been frozen.
Unless you physically see method 1, method 2 is far, far fresher.

Edit: just saw yours isn't a frozen concentrate. I'll leave this here anyway.

Andman

This is a comment I saw a while back in a reddit thread, take it with a grain of salt. I believe it's pretty easy to confirm though.

Edit: just saw yours isn't a frozen concentrate. I'll leave this here anyway.

eh so thats what ive been drinking all that time ;(

Whilst it can get expensive there is no substitute for freshly squeezed OJ, then again with Brazil and United States being the biggest producers I wonder how 'fresh' they are when they land here in the UK, lol.

schultz

Relative to 99.9% of foods at the store it is quite excellent. Fresh squeezed is better, but if you can't get it then regular store OJ is better than almost any other food you can get your hands in in most stores. People act like generic OJ is poison and if you can't get fresh then you better not drink OJ at all. But what else do you plan on eating? Generic OJ is still better than almost every other food option. Same goes for generic milk.

Ideally I'd consume fresh squeezed along with sweet tropical fruits and the milk from my own cow, but these things aren't available to me at the moment.

OP
U

Uselis

Quick google search says quart of OJ requires 10 oranges. Are they talking about medium size? They sell it here big oranges, 5 of those could cost around 4e so doable for my pocket.

gaze

Yea, judge everything by taste and how it makes you feel and by what’s best available. If the only OJ you can find is from concentrate but it makes you feel great then drink it. Same goes for milk

Did Ray Peat comment on the technicalities of OJ production, residues, mold, anti mold agents, pesticides, herbicides, preservatives of the peel and the juice, metal contamination via storage etc? Can someone ask him about details. OJ still seems soo iffy to me.

hmpf

Fresh squeeze oranges means will have minerals, enzymes, fructose glucose. Store oranges juices are mostly almost all pasterized so all minerals enzymes destroy so it is pure glucose fructose basicaly pure sugar. And if sugar is fuel for us so I guess store orange juice could be good regularly sometimes if someone have minerals from different food during day.

Last edited:

schultz

Fresh squeeze oranges means will have minerals, enzymes, fructose glucose. Store oranges juices are mostly almost all pasterized so all minerals enzymes destroy so it is pure glucose fructose basicaly pure sugar. And if sugar is fuel for us so I guess store orange juice could be good regularly sometimes if someone have minerals from different food during day.

Are you claiming that pasteurization destroys all of the vitamins and minerals in juice? Pasteurization is pretty mild. I sincerely doubt that all vitamins and minerals are destroyed. A small percentage is more likely.

OP
U

Uselis

Are you claiming that pasteurization destroys all of the vitamins and minerals in juice? Pasteurization is pretty mild. I sincerely doubt that all vitamins and minerals are destroyed. A small percentage is more likely.

Hey man,

reading your previous posts you drink store bought concentrate OJ as well right? Any issues so far?

schultz

Hey man,

reading your previous posts you drink store bought concentrate OJ as well right? Any issues so far?

Currently I drink just regular juice from the store. With some of the concentrates I would get like a mucus type reaction in my throat. I'm not sure why. I just look for the best tasting OJ and usually I do well on that. I had some fresh squeezed OJ a few weeks back and it was awesome. I wish I could afford that regularly!!

Jessie

I actually prefer concentrate. The stuff I get has no added ingredients, not even water. So I don't take the chance that fluoridated water is added. I also eat it frozen, right out of the can. Kind of reminds me of orange sherbet. Pulp-free and the original both work for me. I find that a minimum amount of pulp is no big deal for me.

thorgus

I've been quite partial to the taste of hand-squeezed, but I've been using organic oranges. Prices of organic produce have been climbing and I currently pay $1.50 for a single orange, which I'm finding to be unsustainable. Do you suppose the cultivation process of conventional oranges warrants avoiding them?

gaze

Did Ray Peat comment on the technicalities of OJ production, residues, mold, anti mold agents, pesticides, herbicides, preservatives of the peel and the juice, metal contamination via storage etc? Can someone ask him about details. OJ still seems soo iffy to me.

I don’t think he’s commented on the details because he probably doesn’t know the details exactly. He’s said in emails that he’s concerned about the production but ways the options against alternatives and judges by taste and feel. He usually drinks fresh squeezed and frozen concentrate during the winter

I've been quite partial to the taste of hand-squeezed, but I've been using organic oranges. Prices of organic produce have been climbing and I currently pay $1.50 for a single orange, which I'm finding to be unsustainable. Do you suppose the cultivation process of conventional oranges warrants avoiding them?

no, i would believe even conventional is still good enough, these are the concessions to our lifestyle.

no worry, minerals, elements do not get destroyed, and pasteurization is just flashboiling, very mild, and enzymes are either digested or would be even a nuisance.

I don’t think he’s commented on the details because he probably doesn’t know the details exactly. He’s said in emails that he’s concerned about the production but ways the options against alternatives and judges by taste and feel. He usually drinks fresh squeezed and frozen concentrate during the winter
interesting.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals