High RT3 After NDT + T3

DaveFoster

Here are my labs:

Reverse T3: high at 29.3 (normal range is 9-27 ng/dL)
TSH 1.07 (it was 1.08 when last checked in May)
Free T4: 0.98 (it was 1.51 last May, so has fallen into normal range now)

I'm currently on Thiroyd (NDT) 0.75 grain, and I'm about to bump it to 1 grain.

I also take Blue Sky Peptide T3 (assuming 2.7 mcg/drop, 15-20 mcg before, but now more like 6-12 mcg/day and Pansterone (5 mg DHEA and 5 mg pregnenolone) spaced throughout the day.

I'm also struggling with a gut infection (SIBO confirmed, worsened by Augmentin), fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, excessive hair loss, memory loss, and lack of motivation.

I've quit my work-study job and switched to an easier major. I just want to get over this.

Should I continue increasing NDT in the hope of lowering RT3, or should I focus on higher amounts of T3 (or T3-only?)

Last edited:

tara

Should I continue increasing NDT in the hope of lowering RT3, or should I focus on higher amounts of T3 (or T3-only?)
I'm not expert, but AIUI, increasing NDT (or T4 supplement in any form) is unlikely to lower rT3.
T3 only may, but to be used with some caution. I'm not going to advise for or against that - don't know enough. But if you do go theT3 only route, I still think it's good to stick within physiological doses - eg 1 - 2 mcg at a time.
I think it's the T4 that gets converted to rT3 if the system thinks you should not have any more T3. Not not sure what the signals are, but someone (Haidut?) was suggesting it may be high cortisol levels that signal to increase the conversion to rT3 instead of T3.
I just want to get over this.
Good luck.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

@tara

Thank you tara; I definitely have high stress levels, so I'll drop the stress, bump to 1 grain, and get another test after a round of rifaximin + neomycin with probiotics/prebiotics (not Peaty, I know.)

tara

And keep attending to the basics - reasonable calories, protein, micronutrients, sunlight, diaphragmatic breathing, sleep, gentle/enjoyable/stimulating movement, interesting endeavours, human interaction, ... :)

I don't now how long it takes for the system to deplete rT3 when it gets better conditions.

Here are my labs:

Reverse T3: high at 29.3 (normal range is 9-27 ng/dL)
TSH 1.07 (it was 1.08 when last checked in May)
Free T4: 0.98 (it was 1.51 last May, so has fallen into normal range now)

I'm currently on Thiroyd (NDT) 0.75 grain, and I'm about to bump it to 1 grain.

I also take Blue Sky Peptide T3 (assuming 2.7 mcg/drop, 15-20 mcg before, but now more like 6-12 mcg/day and Pansterone (5 mg DHEA and 5 mg pregnenolone) spaced throughout the day.

I'm also struggling with a gut infection (SIBO confirmed, worsened by Augmentin), fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, excessive hair loss, memory loss, and lack of motivation.

I've quit my work-study job and switched to an easier major. I just want to get over this.

Need to know what you're eating.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Need to know what you're eating.
I've kept starch low for a long while, but I'm adding in small amounts (1-3 potatoes/day), with my main diet as milk, OJ, coconut oil (*fully hydrogenated of course), coffee, sugar, 2-3 potatoes/day, shellfish, oysters, liver: the whole Peat deal. Recently I've been eating more chocolate.

AST and ALT liver enzymes are slighlty elevated (inflamed liver, despite caffeine intake, which indicates an endotoxin issue.)

I don't now how long it takes for the system to deplete rT3 when it gets better conditions.
I've heard 8 weeks from Stop the Thyroid Madness IIRC.

Drareg

I'm in a high stress job and could never use T4 effectively, I started using T3 only in Peat recommended dosage and it helps.

Have you tried Vitamin E or mitolipin to help with PUFA,it's highly likely its elevated.
It's also possible the DHEA is being converted to estrogen, pregnenolone can stop it but I think in your situation you may need more,possibly just stopping DHEA for now and using pregnenolone? DHT could also be useful.

SneezeStar

How many carbs are you getting a day? ALOT of sugar i bet would help..500+grams a day.

EIRE24

I've kept starch low for a long while, but I'm adding in small amounts (1-3 potatoes/day), with my main diet as milk, OJ, coconut oil (*fully hydrogenated of course), coffee, sugar, 2-3 potatoes/day, shellfish, oysters, liver: the whole Peat deal. Recently I've been eating more chocolate.

AST and ALT liver enzymes are slighlty elevated (inflamed liver, despite caffeine intake, which indicates an endotoxin issue.)

I've heard 8 weeks from Stop the Thyroid Madness IIRC.
I think this could be your problem, I'd add more starch to your diet

DesertRat

I have the same collection of diagnosis, except fibro. I found two things that lowered my rt3; 1. I take one drop at a time, every 2 hours when awake, as you can only process about 3 mcg at a time anyway; 2. I take famotidine at night, as it's supposed to help the liver store glucose. Most anything good for your liver will help, as the conversion is taking place in the liver. The biggie for me was splitting up the doses.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals