High blood serum DHEA-S. Why and how do I lower it?

dervmai

progress
1697146012145.png

Very confused. I can't find many articles on why DHEA-S might be high, nor on how to lower it... Anyone know anything about this?

tallglass13

Interesting! Can you describe all of your symptoms if any? Your Prolactin and E2 seem to be in good ranges.

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
Interesting! Can you describe all of your symptoms if any? Your Prolactin and E2 seem to be in good ranges.
I have low temps and pulse, I was constipated till I got on thyroid hormones, now my bowels are okay. Symptoms are skin issues like eczema, hair loss, anxiety, stress...

tallglass13

Ok, so this is more evidence to me that DHEA is more of a culprit in hair loss than DHT, Prolactin, and Estrogen. Haidut wrote an article once stating that a DHEA metabolite was his thought to be the real hormone in hair loss. I would think you would have to support your adrenals since you are on thyroid. Thyroid and cortisol have to be in balance, and that my be why you still have high DHEA. B5 is said to be a support to the adrenals along with Vit C.

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
Ok, so this is more evidence to me that DHEA is more of a culprit in hair loss than DHT, Prolactin, and Estrogen. Haidut wrote an article once stating that a DHEA metabolite was his thought to be the real hormone in hair loss. I would think you would have to support your adrenals since you are on thyroid. Thyroid and cortisol have to be in balance, and that my be why you still have high DHEA. B5 is said to be a support to the adrenals along with Vit C.
Wait so do I have adrenal fatigue based on the DHEA-S?

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
Nvm the adrenal fatigue comment. I think I have an overactive pituitary gland right? My prolactin is low so I don't think it is a tumor. What could be causing the overactive adrenals? My daily intake of vit C and calcium has been very low throughout my life.

youngsinatra

„Eighteen men aged 18 to 32 with rapidly progressive male pattern baldness had serum dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and testosterone measured. Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate levels were elevated in all patients, ranging from 340 to 730 micrograms/dl. The patients were otherwise healthy and serum testosterone levels were within normal limits. A control group of men of similar age without hair loss had lower dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate levels ranging from 124 to 300 micrograms/dl (p less than 0.005). The biochemistry of androgens, particularly dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, suggests that adrenal hyperactivity may initiate alopecia in young men who are genetically susceptible.“

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
„Eighteen men aged 18 to 32 with rapidly progressive male pattern baldness had serum dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and testosterone measured. Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate levels were elevated in all patients, ranging from 340 to 730 micrograms/dl. The patients were otherwise healthy and serum testosterone levels were within normal limits. A control group of men of similar age without hair loss had lower dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate levels ranging from 124 to 300 micrograms/dl (p less than 0.005). The biochemistry of androgens, particularly dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, suggests that adrenal hyperactivity may initiate alopecia in young men who are genetically susceptible.“
How do I lower DHEA-S?

Spartan300

Last time my DHEA-s was measured I was above ref range. I suspect it's been this way for some time.
Other tests showed high T, DHT and cortisol. It was a particularly stressful time. Temps low, all hypothyroid symptoms and poor sleep.

I am much less stressed now but I have not recovered. Temps, libido, sleep etc still poor and diet and supplements have not managed to break the cycle.

Watching with interest.

Pretty bald BTW.....

OP
dervmai

dervmai

progress
Last time my DHEA-s was measured I was above ref range. I suspect it's been this way for some time.
Other tests showed high T, DHT and cortisol. It was a particularly stressful time. Temps low, all hypothyroid symptoms and poor sleep.

I am much less stressed now but I have not recovered. Temps, libido, sleep etc still poor and diet and supplements have not managed to break the cycle.

Watching with interest.

Pretty bald BTW.....
So you are still hypo? How long have you been eating peaty? And supplementing with thyroid? You have been on this forum for 5 years, you haven't improved in those 5 years?

Spartan300

Member here for 5 years but reading as a guest for some time before that.
I have been following peaty diet principals since I came across the site and although I haven't cracked everything I am in a much better place than I was.

I have probably overtrained and avoided saturated fat (favouring vegetable/seed oils) for more than 30 yeaes but things took a turn for the worse after I sustained an eye injury that wouldn't heal and disrupted my sleep for 4 years. Everything spiralled down from there.

I think diet changes with vitamin supplements etc can correct issues for some people depending on severity of the metabolic dysfunction. In my case it appears that the damage Is too great so I'm about to start using thyroid to see if it can make a difference.

I have always felt like if I can fix the sleep issue then the body can start to recover.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals