Heart racing from gluten exposure - reactive hypoglycemia?

Korven

Hi I was wondering if anyone else gets low blood sugar symptoms (reactive hypoglycemia) from gluten exposure?

Through trial and error I have found out that gluten is not good for me, mainly because it puts me in a terrible mental state, but for some reason I keep trying to include it in my diet.

The last couple of days I have been eating lots of bread and now I'm experiencing unpleasant postprandial symptoms, mainly racing heart and heart palpitations. I haven't measured my blood sugar but this feels to me like reactive hypoglycemia and adrenaline kicking in to raise blood sugars. Before I had heart palpitations all the time and my diet was very gluten-heavy, basically pasta and bread 3x per day.

When I avoid all gluten I have none of these issues. The bread experiment is over.

Thanks.

Momma

What are you eating with said bread?

OP
Korven

Korven

What are you eating with said bread?

Hi @Momma , my last meal was 3 hamburgers and an apple afterwards, it's quite a starch and meat heavy meal so maybe there's something going on with too much insulin produced (and not necessarily gluten), however I can eat meat and potatoes without experiencing heart issues afterwards....

I have also been eating scrambled eggs with butter with the bread, and I haven't noticed any issues with that meal. But was thinking maybe there's some sort of cumulative gluten exposure effect?

Momma

Hi @Momma , my last meal was 3 hamburgers and an apple afterwards, it's quite a starch and meat heavy meal so maybe there's something going on with too much insulin produced (and not necessarily gluten), however I can eat meat and potatoes without experiencing heart issues afterwards....

I have also been eating scrambled eggs with butter with the bread, and I haven't noticed any issues with that meal. But was thinking maybe there's some sort of cumulative gluten exposure effect?
Hi.
I think you might give it a day or two break- then try the egg / bread meal again with butter and juice.

Remember- protein has a large effect on BS as well. So I’m assuming like you that three burgers was just too much. You can get there, but slow and steady as they say. Meaning work up to that size meal over the course of several weeks to months.

LadyRae

I quit all gluten a few years ago once I connected the dots that beer was giving me bad body odor. Since I never need to use deodorant it's easy to tell when a food is causing trouble because I will get body odor within a few hours...

My cousin is a true celiac, but I have never had the test because I just won't go back to eating gluten for a month before the test, which is required.

If you are not feeling well after you eat it, then don't. I think it's funny how people think that you should keep trying and trying and that somehow finally the food will be good for you LOL!

Momma

I quit all gluten a few years ago once I connected the dots that beer was giving me bad body odor. Since I never need to use deodorant it's easy to tell when a food is causing trouble because I will get body odor within a few hours...

My cousin is a true celiac, but I have never had the test because I just won't go back to eating gluten for a month before the test, which is required.

If you are not feeling well after you eat it, then don't. I think it's funny how people think that you should keep trying and trying and that somehow finally the food will be good for you LOL!
He / she ate it without incident.

Jonk

I don't react well to gluten either, but it takes a few days for it to take its full toll on me. If I eat a high starch meal in general I get almost immediate a racing heartbeat, but I think it has to do with insulin. It's different from hypoglycemic heart racing in that it's not an anxious feeling, even though the bodily sensation is similar.

Peachy

I’ve felt this before @Korven. I’m sorry, it sucks! I hadn’t thought of it being a blood sugar thing but I could see that. It feels like a panic attack to me, due to cellular energy production being severely hampered. Maybe something to do with the gut-brain axis as well. I wonder if a good dose of MB might help.

Momma

Korven says his bread experiment is over because it makes him feel bad. I'm not sure what is going on with you.
He has NOT noticed any issues eating bread, butter and eggs.

Peachy

Btw @Korven, since I was last talking about giving up gluten in a thread, I started eating some again (of course). I think since it’s a nervine - the opioid effect - I feel a bit off if I don’t eat it for a while. Eating small amounts can have a settling effect on the stomach and nerves (unless you’re celiac). I think that’s why people with issues still go back and forth on it. That’s the case for me at least.

OP
Korven

Korven

Hi.
I think you might give it a day or two break- then try the egg / bread meal again with butter and juice.

Remember- protein has a large effect on BS as well. So I’m assuming like you that three burgers was just too much. You can get there, but slow and steady as they say. Meaning work up to that size meal over the course of several weeks to months.

Thanks for your input, hmm maybe you're right that it's the large amounts of protein that is causing BS dysregulation. Milk and dairy protein never give me any stress reaction so could also be the meat protein specifically. I will keep this in mind moving forward.

OP
Korven

Korven

I don't react well to gluten either, but it takes a few days for it to take its full toll on me. If I eat a high starch meal in general I get almost immediate a racing heartbeat, but I think it has to do with insulin. It's different from hypoglycemic heart racing in that it's not an anxious feeling, even though the bodily sensation is similar.

That's super interesting, I think you described better what happened than I did. It was not really an anxious feeling, but more just my heart pounding very strongly for seemingly "no reason". So high insulin can cause this type of body sensation?

OP
Korven

Korven

Btw @Korven, since I was last talking about giving up gluten in a thread, I started eating some again (of course). I think since it’s a nervine - the opioid effect - I feel a bit off if I don’t eat it for a while. Eating small amounts can have a settling effect on the stomach and nerves (unless you’re celiac). I think that’s why people with issues still go back and forth on it. That’s the case for me at least.

Thanks I haven't heard that explanation before @Peachy, I think there might be something to it since bread does produce a very unique body sensation for me, settling like you say. But sometimes it also makes me feel very bad if I overdo it. Does dairy proteins give you the same settling effect (since it also has opioid peptides)?

OP
Korven

Korven

Appreciate your comments @LadyRae , I should really get a celiac test done because I suspect I may have some sensitivity to gluten (it's not just the digestive issues, but mental and other issues as well), but then I have to eat gluten for an entire month and persist through any negative symptoms...

Jonk

That's super interesting, I think you described better what happened than I did. It was not really an anxious feeling, but more just my heart pounding very strongly for seemingly "no reason". So high insulin can cause this type of body sensation?
Well maybe I was too fast suggesting insulin. It's just a hunch I guess, but that it's related to blood glucose, maybe some hyperglycemia going on. I can get practically the same response with a really high intake of pure sugar syrup added to a drink. Makes me think of the Ray Peat "glycemia" article.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals