Lifelong Distate For Sour Related To Acid/Alkaline Balance. Or?

Looking back over 15 years since I began LCHF, the ability of my body to handle sour things (pickles, vinegar, wine, sauerkraut, etc) has basically disappeared. They irritate my stomach and cause instant heartburn, or just left me feeling uneasy. I've never really liked sour, except for lemon or lime juice. Even most fruits were too sour...never liked them (except grapefruit and blueberries...go figure). But give me wedding cake or grape juice or marshmallows and I was happy!

Now that I'm Peating it's come so clear that my body has been sugar (carb) deficient all along...and 50 years is a long time! (If I only knew that it was the PUFAs and corn syrup giving me the stomach aches and hypoglycemia, and eventually gluten, NOT THE SUGAR, I wouldn't have avoided it like I did!) I've always had poor digestion and obviously needed more glucose than my body was getting. I love(d) starches like legumes and rice, but I've finally given them up (thanks to RP) as they were actually constipating...and stomach aches, bloating, etc. Thanks to PakPik suggesting a protocol for irritated stomach I just started famotidine and Benadryl. It's only been 2 days, but I'm appreciating the overall calmness in my body already!

Sorry for rambling, but I was wondering if anyone recognizes a connection between my lifelong dislike for 'sour' and my body chemistry. Adding sugar to my diet about 6 weeks ago has been very helpful at decreasing adrenaline/ cortisol. My afib, palpitations, insomnia, moodiness (even suicidal ideations), brain fog, energy, BMs, and temp have all improved! I've gone from 96.9 to 97.7...up almost a whole degree! Thank God! :happy:

Last edited:

tara

Have you had a go at assessing your intake of alkaline minerals - calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium? Maybe using cronometer or similar?

PakPik

Hello Maureen!
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I haven't tried benadryl myself, but many people here have and even Peat says positive things about it. Like cyproheptadine, it is an anti serotonin, anti cholinergic and anti histamine. And famotidine is taking care of the loads of nitric oxide produced by injured guts. Those are very membrane/nerve destroying mediators when they get out of control. As a side note, I wouldn't take famotidine for prolonged period of time, since it diminishes stomach acid, which is not good long term, so perhaps it would be wise to take it no more than a few days in a row, just enough time to help you out of the severe vicious cycle of a highly injured and de-energized membrane. Of course, if the need arises in the future, one could take it again.

With low carb, a person loses the mucus protecting the G.I tract, because glucose is needed to build it. This mucus is very important to buffer irritating or strong substances, even to keep pathogens away from the membranes. You need to build healthy mucosa back. On top of that, the hypothyroidsm, high stress hormones from low carb leads the cells of your whole body into a very bad state: hypoenergetic yet highly excitable (this two things go hand in hand), which leads to all kinds of cellular damage and hence malfunction. Everything is harmed when you get in a excitotoxic state, and G.I can't tolerate just about anything. And the nervous system suffers even more. Supporting good endocrine function and oxidative metabolism is paramount. Besides glucose, vitamin A is essential for healthy mucus and membranes. Liver is a tremendous source of it, plus other nutrients. All of this being said, I believe that your body rejects sour for a good reason: the cells of your de-energized gut get directly injured from it.

Personally, thinking about the cellular level was key for me, and my goal is always to get cells back to a biochemically relaxed/stable state, and only then they can heal. The Acid-Alkaline interview I mentioned is great to understand these concepts.
I highly recommend topical magnesium and gelatin to support healing, besides the many other strategies that one could apply. Also, ripe fruits and good quality honey are great for ramping up oxidative metabolism in your cells, of course if tolerated. That's because of the potassium and fructose, and the safe antioxidants.
Also worth mentioning that fillers in foods are truly damaging to the gut, specially the thickening agent carrageenan (E407). It is found everywhere: dressings, dairy, etc .... Bad stuff Review of harmful gastrointestinal effects of carrageenan in animal experiments.

My afib, palpitations, insomnia, moodiness (even suicidal ideations), brain fog, energy, BMs, and temp have all improved! I've gone from 96.9 to 97.7...up almost a whole degree! Thank God! :happy:
That's very exciting to hear. I'm so happy for you!

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
Have you had a go at assessing your intake of alkaline minerals - calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium? Maybe using cronometer or similar?

Thank you Tara! I will go to cronometer and look at my alkaline mineral numbers. I have been eating pretty healthy for many years now (except for that little HFLC thing!!!), which is why I wonder why my body always seems to be in extra need of minerals and b vitamins. I'm pretty sure I have also been in serious detox mode for the last few years, though, which could really explain my high need for minerals.

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
Hello Maureen!
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I haven't tried benadryl myself, but many people here have and even Peat says positive things about it. Like cyproheptadine, it is an anti serotonin, anti cholinergic and anti histamine. And famotidine is taking care of the loads of nitric oxide produced by injured guts. Those are very membrane/nerve destroying mediators when they get out of control. As a side note, I wouldn't take famotidine for prolonged period of time, since it diminishes stomach acid, which is not good long term, so perhaps it would be wise to take it no more than a few days in a row, just enough time to help you out of the severe vicious cycle of a highly injured and de-energized membrane. Of course, if the need arises in the future, one could take it again.

With low carb, a person loses the mucus protecting the G.I tract, because glucose is needed to build it. This mucus is very important to buffer irritating or strong substances, even to keep pathogens away from the membranes. You need to build healthy mucosa back. On top of that, the hypothyroidsm, high stress hormones from low carb leads the cells of your whole body into a very bad state: hypoenergetic yet highly excitable (this two things go hand in hand), which leads to all kinds of cellular damage and hence malfunction. Everything is harmed when you get in a excitotoxic state, and G.I can't tolerate just about anything. And the nervous system suffers even more. Supporting good endocrine function and oxidative metabolism is paramount. Besides glucose, vitamin A is essential for healthy mucus and membranes. Liver is a tremendous source of it, plus other nutrients. All of this being said, I believe that your body rejects sour for a good reason: the cells of your de-energized gut get directly injured from it.

Personally, thinking about the cellular level was key for me, and my goal is always to get cells back to a biochemically relaxed/stable state, and only then they can heal. The Acid-Alkaline interview I mentioned is great to understand these concepts.
I highly recommend topical magnesium and gelatin to support healing, besides the many other strategies that one could apply. Also, ripe fruits and good quality honey are great for ramping up oxidative metabolism in your cells, of course if tolerated. That's because of the potassium and fructose, and the safe antioxidants.
Also worth mentioning that fillers in foods are truly damaging to the gut, specially the thickening agent carrageenan (E407). It is found everywhere: dressings, dairy, etc .... Bad stuff Review of harmful gastrointestinal effects of carrageenan in animal experiments.

That's very exciting to hear. I'm so happy for you!

PakPik, I don't know what to say. Thank you again for helping me! And once again, so glad you joined the forum!

Everything you said makes complete sense...but most importantly it really is how my stomach feels, like I'm missing the mucosal lining. Coffee...oj...wine... lemon juice...all very irritating. Now when I do embibe a little I make sure there is plenty of sugar added, and I find this has helps alot. Believe me, I'm making up for my low carb diet with sugar at every meal, and then some. It never tasted so good. :hungry:

As far as carrageenan, yes, I figured out a couple years ago that nothing wrecks my stomach like that does. It is a terror in our food supply now!

If by any chance you are a nuritional therapist wise in the ways of RP I would love to work with you. I am a traditional diet nutritionist, but a new Peatarian, and could use personal guidance. Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I had a reaction to something I ate. Scary! I wonder if I'm waking up my body and suddenly my immune system is on over alert. But I've also got hyperventilation syndrome and depersonalization. Yes, I'm a wreck! But at least I think I've finally found hope for a full recovery with RP and the gang! :D

Thanks again for your help! :kiss:

PakPik

Hi Maureen!

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I had a reaction to something I ate. Scary!
Not sure if you've read about this, but it very frequently happens to RP inspired people to start showing up allergies and sensitivities when they switch from a previous very stressful diet, lifestyle or with a history of endocrine problems. The explanation for this, which I ascribe to since reading Hans Selye's "The Stress of Life" (he is one of the fathers of endocrinology and Peat mentions him a lot) is that stress hormones from the past were "masking" weaknesses in the body, but as soon as you switch to a better hormonal balance and lower those stress hormones, then the allergies/weaknesses aren't masked anymore. And well... stress hormones damage tissue, so they leave you weaker, more prone to allergies on top of that. Cortisol is a biggie, because is a potent antiinflamatory (though long term it is inflammatory, how crazy, uh?). Adrenaline too. That's the fake energy of stress. And the list goes on. Check out "ilovethesea" posts, I think she went through that.

Of course, it could be that you have a true allergy to something. Perhaps you ingested something upsetting?

I've also heard stories of people coming from low carb going overboard on sugar at first, that's no good. They get bad rebound effects, it is really stressful. (I happen to have experience on that as well). I think the consensus is that you have to build up, slowly, the ability to process sugar/carbs. Gradual, careful increases usually work better. I just thought I'd mention that.

If by any chance you are a nuritional therapist wise in the ways of RP I would love to work with you. I am a traditional diet nutritionist, but a new Peatarian, and could use personal guidance.

I'm humbled by your offer, thank you! Well, in reality I'm just a person coming from almost dying, very bad quality of life, to well, a much better quality of life (thanks God!!) and, unexpectedly, reversing so many maladies, but I'm not a nutritionist. I'm very passionate about science, both theoretical and also at the practical, real-life level, though. So, thanks again. We can keep exchanging info if you'd like so. (and if my body allows :) ).

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
Hi Maureen!

Not sure if you've read about this, but it very frequently happens to RP inspired people to start showing up allergies and sensitivities when they switch from a previous very stressful diet, lifestyle or with a history of endocrine problems. The explanation for this, which I ascribe to since reading Hans Selye's "The Stress of Life" (he is one of the fathers of endocrinology and Peat mentions him a lot) is that stress hormones from the past were "masking" weaknesses in the body, but as soon as you switch to a better hormonal balance and lower those stress hormones, then the allergies/weaknesses aren't masked anymore. And well... stress hormones damage tissue, so they leave you weaker, more prone to allergies on top of that. Cortisol is a biggie, because is a potent antiinflamatory (though long term it is inflammatory, how crazy, uh?). Adrenaline too. That's the fake energy of stress. And the list goes on. Check out "ilovethesea" posts, I think she went through that.

Of course, it could be that you have a true allergy to something. Perhaps you ingested something upsetting?

I've also heard stories of people coming from low carb going overboard on sugar at first, that's no good. They get bad rebound effects, it is really stressful. (I happen to have experience on that as well). I think the consensus is that you have to build up, slowly, the ability to process sugar/carbs. Gradual, careful increases usually work better. I just thought I'd mention that.

I'm humbled by your offer, thank you! Well, in reality I'm just a person coming from almost dying, very bad quality of life, to well, a much better quality of life (thanks God!!) and, unexpectedly, reversing so many maladies, but I'm not a nutritionist. I'm very passionate about science, both theoretical and also at the practical, real-life level, though. So, thanks again. We can keep exchanging info if you'd like so. (and if my body allows :) ).

Thanks PakPik...again! Once again your advisement has been very enlightening! The reaction I had yesterday was just so unlike me that the idea that it came from my new dramatic change in diet makes total sense. I actually have been kinda wondering and concerned this whole cold season because I hadn't been sick in 2 years, and still nothing come March. I read recently that if you don't getting sick/symptoms anymore it may mean that your immune system is failing and can't ramp up adequate immune response.

So this is both scary and exciting! I really don't want to have to deal with or worry about allergy responses when I'm already got enough on my health plate. BUT it also seems to be yet another confirmation that the diet is working, and working good. I fortunately haven't had a reaction since lunch yesterday, but I'm being careful to avoid chemicals. I hate to say it, but I think it was from a Wendy's Frosty (Jr). I go there once a week to get a buttered potato cause my job takes me on the road. I treat myself to the Frosty (it's free!). Never had a problem before. It may also be from all the cheese on the potato. I know they put aluminum in it to help it melt. She gave me an extra large helping for some reason.

I'll look up comments from 'ilovethesea' to learn more. I'll also slow down on the sugar...replace some with more fruit. I wanted to do that anyway. I've just been enjoying my homemade marshmallows so much! It's my bedtime 'pill'....2 before bed is my Rx. ;) I add a little salt and they help me to sleep. Numm! Then there is my cheesecake for breakfast...with blueberries! Don't worry, in cronometer it's right on the mark for pro, carbs, and fats. I make it with cottage cheese, farm eggs, and Great Lakes gelatine.

I'm so glad to hear you're doing much better. Great job bringing yourself back from such bad illness! If only doctors were trained in the ways of RP, we wouldn't be living amongst the walking dead. But...that kind of healing doesn't guarantee repeat business. Managing health (or sickness) is their specialty!

I look forward to continued talks with you. Your insights are invaluable here, and I'm sure many will benefit greatly from your presence! :greenwave:wavingyellow:bluewave:yellohello:kisscheek:cheers:dancenanner:10:thankyoublue:thumbup: :thumbright:grouphug2

Last edited:

tara

I have been eating pretty healthy for many years now (except for that little HFLC thing!!!), which is why I wonder why my body always seems to be in extra need of minerals and b vitamins.
Peat has said that when people have low thyroid function it is harder to retain magnesium (and maybe sodium?).

OP
Mmmaurshmallows
Peat has said that when people have low thyroid function it is harder to retain magnesium (and maybe sodium?).

Thanks Tara! :shame:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals