Glycine is anticatabolic

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study was done in a cancer model, but it should apply to any situation characterised by a catabolic muscle state - i.e. overtraining, starvaton, shock, estrogen-dominance, etc. In addition, in this study glycine also inhibited tumor growth while citirulline (which is a metabolite of arginine, and hence precursor to NO) strongly boosted tumor growth. All in line with Ray's writings.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23835111

"...RESULTS: Glycine attenuated the loss of fat and muscle mass, blunted increases in markers of inflammation (F4/80, P = 0.01 & IL-6 mRNA, P = 0.01) and atrophic signaling (MuRF, P = 0.047; atrogin-1, P = 0.04; LC3B, P = 0.06 and; BNIP3, P = 0.10) and tended to attenuate the loss of body mass (P = 0.07), muscle function (P = 0.06), and oxidative stress (GSSG/GSH, P = 0.06 and DHE, P = 0.07) seen in tumor-bearing mice. Preliminary studies that compared the effect of glycine administration with isonitrogenous doses of alanine or citrulline showed that the observed protective effect was specific to glycine."

uuy8778yyi

I thought citrulline was safer than arginine

what can men use to boost libido instead ? niacin ?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Neither arginine nor citrulline are safe as they both increase NO in the body. Peat talks about both amino acids in some of his interviews.
I am not sure why you mention libido. This thread is about glycine and how it helps preserve muscle mass. There are other threads for libido so please search them.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals