Get Dental X-rays, or go to extremes to avoid them?

Pete Rey

A person’s lifetime exposure to ionizing radiation can be determined by measuring the concentration of unpaired (free radical) electrons in their teeth."
Do you or anyone else know what test he was referring to here?

Pete Rey

What I got from that paper is that while digital x-ray machines emit lower doses of radiation if used in the same manner and resolution as film, the ease of use and ability to capture more images at higher definition than necessary has tended towards more radiation exposure overall. So you'd have to really have confidence in the operator of the machine to respect your wishes to deliver the minimum necessary dose, and not just give you lip service and start snapping away in HD anyway because they think you've bought into a crackpot conspiracy theory.

OP
F

freyasam

That wouldn’t include the deaths caused by radioactive fallout from bomb tests and leaks from nuclear power plants, or the vast numbers of people mentally impaired by all sorts of toxic radiation." -Ray Peat
Rinse, thanks for the info.

Side tangent: I'm glad to see Ray mention effects of bomb tests, something which no one EVER talks about. I looked into this recently. There have been 1000s of nuclear "tests" in the US. 900+ alone in Nevada! You research nuclear testing and you only see discussions on the effects on specific areas in the South Pacific, which *were* horrific. However, Americans have been bombed the most. So maybe the Brits and Europeans can stop making fun of how fat and sick Americans are (in general online discussions elsewhere). They haven't been nuked to the extent we have.

OP
F

freyasam

By carefully examining the color of a tooth a good dentist can effectively see below the surface.
Problem is most dentists aren't "good" and are not trained to carefully examine anything except an Xray. :/

Fllora

Do you or anyone else know what test he was referring to here?
"A person’s lifetime exposure to ionizing radiation can be determined by measuring the concentration of unpaired (free radical) electrons in their teeth."
Dunno, sorry.

sunny

Here is a bunch of info I collected before I finally got some dental X-rays.

I followed Haidut recommended supplements and Ray Peat has a quote in there that red light immediately after xray will return cells to proper state . I got a portable Mito Red Light for this purpose.

Random collected info:

Xray

1 hour before:
Orange juice
1000 mg aspirin, 1000 mg niacinamide, 15 mg meth blue, caffeine

Magnesium
Famotidine

Progesterone "protective action of progesterone against radiation implies that X-rays have “estrogenic” effects on the body."

Peat thinks radiation induces a lot of estrogen and stress in the cells. It also can liberate free fatty acid in the blood. So anything that opposes estrogen, cortisol, and PUFA should be protective (increasing metabolism should help all these three). Things like K2, E, taurine, niacinamide, aspirin, caffeine, thyroid, red light, CO2, cypro, little DHEA, prog/preg, B6, gelatin, and many more can help.

Haidut :
If you have to have dental x-ray done, load up on some methylene blue, niacinamide, caffeine and aspirin about an 1 hour before the x-ray. Then, after the x-ray is done take the above mixture for 3 days. This should take care of the most damaging part of the immediate and post-exposure x-ray effects.
Btw, this recommendation would apply for any x-ray anywhere in the body. If you are getting a CT scan, which is essentially an x-ray on steroids, I would up take the combo for at least a week after the CT scan.
The dosage of each ingredient individually shown to provide some protection is 15mg methylene blue, 1,000mg niacinamide, 1,000mg aspirin, and 400mg caffeine.

“Niacinamide, by reducing lipolysis, would be another antiinflammatory agent that could help to interrupt the degenerative processes initiated by exposure to radiation.” Dr Ray Peat

(Caffeine, doesn't have to be 400mg - that's the dosage that more or less blocked the effects of radiation completely in rats. Taking any amount of caffeine would be helpful so use whatever you can tolerate.)
----------
Haidut:

I would add low dose DHEA a few days before the radiation. A DHEA derivative/metabolite is used by the US military for radiation protection and recovery.
5-Androstenediol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
--------

Sunlight is good and the ultraviolet rays certainly don't penetrate as deeply as the red...but if it were me and I was estrogen dominant (which I think you are), I would not want any extra cellular excitation from the UV on top of the cellular destabilization that you will most certainly get from a dose of ionizing radiation to the head.

That's just my opinion, I'm no scientist....use lots of red light as soon as possible after x-ray, drown yourself in Progest-E before as well as after and bag breath several times a day.

Dr. Ray Peat said:
"Even ultraviolet light can produce electronic excitation and bystander effects that destabilize cells, but, unlike gamma rays and x-rays, ultraviolet light doesn't penetrate deeply into the body. In visible light, it is only the red component that can pass deeply into the tissue, and it happens that red light is able to "quench" many excited electrons, restoring them to their normal resting or ground state. In a solid material,such as a seed or hair or bone, excited electrons will persist for a long time (hours in the seed and hair, years in bone), but with a brief exposure to red light, they will return to their normal state. This beneficial effect of the red component of sunlight helps to keep plants from being sunburned. If the red light is removed from sunlight, even the blue light by itself is quickly toxic to their mitochondria. Duringthe night animals' respiratory enzymes lose some of their effectiveness, possibly from the effects of random lipid peroxidation, and red light restores their activity."
----------

It really depends on the metabolic state at the time of irradiation, dosage of exposure, and what (if anything) is done after it. Aspirin, niacinamide, vitamin E, inosine, methylene blue, thyroid, cyproheptadine, etc have all been shown to protect from the effects of radiation exposure. The most damaging effects occur when ionizing radiation disturbs PUFA stores in the body, so the lower overall PUFA stores the less dangerous radiation is. A few X-rays commonly done for lung, spine, and abdominal examination are often not harmful long-term for most people, but a full CT scan (especially of the head) can lead to serious long term disturbances and sometimes cancer. Many of the CT machines in the US turned out to be purposefully miscalibrated to deliver more
------
Haidut: What I can say is that several people have reported lower estrogen levels and prolactin from using EstroBan. Also, if you believe radiation poisoning or damage is at works, things like progesterone and DHEA, methylene blue, and caffeine can potentially help, as can aspirin. A DHEA metabolite is used by US military as radiation countermeasure for staff exposed to high levels of ionizing radiation at ICBM silos. Emodin and beta-lapachone have also shown radiation protection effects.
-----------
Haidut:
Inosine, niacinamide, aspirin, caffeine, thyroid, methylene blue, tocopherols, progesterone, DHEA, etc are all known radiaprotectors. Ideally, they should be taken both before and after radiation exposure. When I got dental X-rays I took 1g inosine and 1g niacinamide 1h before and then the same dose 1h after the X-rays. But even doing only before/after would be beneficial and if I had to choose between the two I would take those before exposure.
--------

OP
F

freyasam

I followed Haidut recommended supplements and Ray Peat has a quote in there that red light immediately after xray will return cells to proper state . I got a portable Mito Red Light for this purpose.

Random collected info:

Xray

1 hour before:
Orange juice

Magnesium
Famotidine

Progesterone "protective action of progesterone against radiation implies that X-rays have “estrogenic” effects on the body."

Peat thinks radiation induces a lot of estrogen and stress in the cells. It also can liberate free fatty acid in the blood. So anything that opposes estrogen, cortisol, and PUFA should be protective (increasing metabolism should help all these three). Things like K2, E, taurine, niacinamide, aspirin, caffeine, thyroid, red light, CO2, cypro, little DHEA, prog/preg, B6, gelatin, and many more can help.

Haidut :
If you have to have dental x-ray done, load up on some methylene blue, niacinamide, caffeine and aspirin about an 1 hour before the x-ray. Then, after the x-ray is done take the above mixture for 3 days. This should take care of the most damaging part of the immediate and post-exposure x-ray effects.
Btw, this recommendation would apply for any x-ray anywhere in the body. If you are getting a CT scan, which is essentially an x-ray on steroids, I would up take the combo for at least a week after the CT scan.
The dosage of each ingredient individually shown to provide some protection is 15mg methylene blue, 1,000mg niacinamide, 1,000mg aspirin, and 400mg caffeine.

“Niacinamide, by reducing lipolysis, would be another antiinflammatory agent that could help to interrupt the degenerative processes initiated by exposure to radiation.” Dr Ray Peat

(Caffeine, doesn't have to be 400mg - that's the dosage that more or less blocked the effects of radiation completely in rats. Taking any amount of caffeine would be helpful so use whatever you can tolerate.)
----------
Haidut:

I would add low dose DHEA a few days before the radiation. A DHEA derivative/metabolite is used by the US military for radiation protection and recovery.
--------

Sunlight is good and the ultraviolet rays certainly don't penetrate as deeply as the red...but if it were me and I was estrogen dominant (which I think you are), I would not want any extra cellular excitation from the UV on top of the cellular destabilization that you will most certainly get from a dose of ionizing radiation to the head.

That's just my opinion, I'm no scientist....use lots of red light as soon as possible after x-ray, drown yourself in Progest-E before as well as after and bag breath several times a day.

Dr. Ray Peat said:
"Even ultraviolet light can produce electronic excitation and bystander effects that destabilize cells, but, unlike gamma rays and x-rays, ultraviolet light doesn't penetrate deeply into the body. In visible light, it is only the red component that can pass deeply into the tissue, and it happens that red light is able to "quench" many excited electrons, restoring them to their normal resting or ground state. In a solid material,such as a seed or hair or bone, excited electrons will persist for a long time (hours in the seed and hair, years in bone), but with a brief exposure to red light, they will return to their normal state. This beneficial effect of the red component of sunlight helps to keep plants from being sunburned. If the red light is removed from sunlight, even the blue light by itself is quickly toxic to their mitochondria. Duringthe night animals' respiratory enzymes lose some of their effectiveness, possibly from the effects of random lipid peroxidation, and red light restores their activity."
----------

It really depends on the metabolic state at the time of irradiation, dosage of exposure, and what (if anything) is done after it. Aspirin, niacinamide, vitamin E, inosine, methylene blue, thyroid, cyproheptadine, etc have all been shown to protect from the effects of radiation exposure. The most damaging effects occur when ionizing radiation disturbs PUFA stores in the body, so the lower overall PUFA stores the less dangerous radiation is. A few X-rays commonly done for lung, spine, and abdominal examination are often not harmful long-term for most people, but a full CT scan (especially of the head) can lead to serious long term disturbances and sometimes cancer. Many of the CT machines in the US turned out to be purposefully miscalibrated to deliver more
------
Haidut: What I can say is that several people have reported lower estrogen levels and prolactin from using EstroBan. Also, if you believe radiation poisoning or damage is at works, things like progesterone and DHEA, methylene blue, and caffeine can potentially help, as can aspirin. A DHEA metabolite is used by US military as radiation countermeasure for staff exposed to high levels of ionizing radiation at ICBM silos. Emodin and beta-lapachone have also shown radiation protection effects.
-----------
Haidut:
Inosine, niacinamide, aspirin, caffeine, thyroid, methylene blue, tocopherols, progesterone, DHEA, etc are all known radiaprotectors. Ideally, they should be taken both before and after radiation exposure. When I got dental X-rays I took 1g inosine and 1g niacinamide 1h before and then the same dose 1h after the X-rays. But even doing only before/after would be beneficial and if I had to choose between the two I would take those before exposure.
--------
Thanks for all that info! Super helpful to have it in one place like this. :)

The portable red light's a great idea.

It's frustrating how the Xrays are ALWAYS the very first thing they want to do. Put you in chair, xray, wait for dentist, and since I usually need fillings it could be a total of 2-3 hours from the first xray to when I can leave the office. So IDK if red light will help in that case.

Since Peat said the radiation just bounces around inside your body (forever? for years? can't remember) I wonder if these mitigating measure really make a huge difference or just help a little.

Also, I'd imagine this is all geared toward relatively healthy people. I'm pretty seriously ill and can barely function at all, so I wonder if any of this would help someone like me who is apparently ridden with estrogen, cortisol and so far gone 10 years of Peating doesn't help. :/

Fllora

Random collected info:

Xray

1 hour before:
Orange juice

Magnesium
Famotidine

Haidut :

----------
Haidut:

--------

Dr. Ray Peat said:
----------

------
-----------
Haidut:
--------
Sunny, this is great, thank you! Maybe I'll carry this around in my wallet.:)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals