Hold Out Hope For Tooth Re-mineralization Or Go To Dentist?

freyasam

I've had several teeth that have been very painful for a few months. I'm guessing I have cavities that need to be filled (hopefully nothing more serious!). I've ignored the issue for so long because I was hoping I could re-mineralize the teeth with good nutrition, but that never seems to happen. Also I know the dentist will want to x-ray, and I doubt there's any way around that if I need fillings or other work done.

I'm curious what other people would do in this situation--just get the x-rays and the work recommended by the dentist, or hold out hope for dental healing through nutrition?

answersfound

try vitamin a, k and d and lots of milk

OP
F

freyasam

I've been on D and K, and I can't do A or much milk. I guess I don't think my teeth will heal until my metabolism / liver / glycogen storage issues all improve, which could be a long time.

schultz

What do you mean by you "can't do A"? You cannot tolerate a vitamin A supplement? What about beef liver?

How much milk do you currently consume? What about cheese?

If I were you I would make a gigantic effort to avoid getting my teeth drilled.

If I were in your position I would...
1.) Get my diet as perfect as I can.
2.) Take a thyroid supplement
3.) Buy a container of CO2/vacation to a high altitude place.
4.) Take aspirin (put the body in the right direction).
5.) Drinks lots of coffee for magnesium and eat liver weekly.
6.) Rinse with baking soda after meals

The CO2 container/high altitude thing sounds somewhat drastic but to me it sounds less drastic then getting my teeth drilled out. Anything to encourage bone formation and discourage bone deterioration.

"Calcium, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin B6- , vitamin K, and vitamin D are important for the development and maintenance of bones."

"Polyunsaturated fats are converted to prostaglandins (especially under the influence of estrogen), and several prostaglandins have toxic effects on bone."

"X-rays accelerate the rate of bone loss."

OP
F

freyasam

I've been eating Peat-inspired and have kept PUFA under 3-4 gm daily for nearly a year now.

No, I cannot tolerate a vitamin A supplement without developing extreme sun sensitivity. I live in a tropical area, have light-colored skin, and walk a lot, so I can't be so sensitive to light.

Eating about 6 oz of liver a week (more than that and I'm too sun sensitive).

I've moved to a high-er altitude location (5200 feet / 1555 meters) 3 months ago.

Drinking a cup of coffee every day (can't handle more caffeine than that).

I take 600 - 1000 mg magnesium glycinate, 4 mg vitamin K (will increase that when I get new shipment, which could take 2 months), 600 mg calcium, and drink 1-2 cups lactose free milk and 2-3 oz fat free cheese daily (again, can't tolerate more dairy than that and I may have to cut out that milk because I may be reacting to it).

I've been doing the above for several months, and my teeth are definitely not improving. If anything they're getting worse. (And I was on 10 mg vitamin K until recently.) Also I was on aspirin but I've stopped that recently.

I was rinsing with baking soda but it seems to aggravate my teeth and increase pain and sensitivity.

So I'm at a loss as to what else I could do to help my teeth. I know drilling and x-rays are harmful, but so are tooth infections. I don't know at what point the teeth infections pose such a threat that it makes the interventions worth it.

OP
F

freyasam

Also have been doing oil pulling but haven't noticed any change in teeth or gums.

jyb

Have you tried to see if you can digest unprocessed milk? Raw or pasteurised, non-homogeneised, preferably from small farms and obviously organic. The dairy products you mentioned seem to be heavily processed.

OP
F

freyasam

Yes, I've tried raw cow milk from local farms, and goat milk, and all sorts of different milk really. Especially raw milk makes me feel drunk, disoriented, and my muscles become very sore.

I just started drinking the lactose-free milk recently and it's the first time in a year I haven't reacted severely to milk. But I may be reacting subtly to it--I have so many symptoms it's hard to know what's causing what.

OP
F

freyasam

I haven't checked vit D levels in a while. I was taking 4000 - 10000 IU vitamin D for a few months. But I stopped a lot of supplements the past month and plan to add them back in one at a time to see if any of them are actually helping.

Sea

I had teeth sensitivity when I first started peating which went away after a few months. I think drilling into the teeth causes many problems. I have more fillings than most people, and I think fillings are the absolute worst way to treat tooth decay. I think that my teeth would have been much better off if I had let them continue decaying while on a standard american diet years ago, as opposed to getting them filled.

How many calories do you eat daily? Can you explain in more detail your diet?

I would recommend aiming for at least 3000 calories/day and trying to eat well above that if you can.

If you can't tolerate milk well, try low fat greek yogurt or cottage cheese. I recommend aiming for at least 125 grams of protein/day.

Since you don't tolerate caffeine well I recommend increasing your intake of sugar. I didn't tolerate caffeine well for most of my life until I started consuming between 1/2 pound and 1 pound of honey everyday for a couple of months. Other than honey, I think high sugar fruits or high sugar, high calorie refined flour products work better than fruit juice when metabolism is still low.

I recommend taking aspirin as long as you are eating a lot of food. Multiple dosages during a day have a more noticeable effect for me than just taking one, but I think you have to be eating a lot of calories to tolerate aspirin well.

If you have symptoms of a gut infection(I think you do), I would look into a product like: http://www.gaiaherbs.com/products/detail/56/Para-shield

Or, a similar broad spectrum antimicrobial product. I have had success with the above product. Taking care of a gut infection may help you better tolerate milk, and in my experience can increase the metabolism significantly.

You may want to read:

"Strengthen Bones and Teeth with White Sugar" (http://180degreehealth.com/newsletter-issue-3/)

"How I Healed My Teeth Eating Sugar: A Guide to Improving Dental Health Naturally" (http://www.amazon.com.au/How-Healed-Tee ... B00K97T9JW) I can loan you this book via amazon if you tell me an email address.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... -diet.html

tara

Unlike previous posters, I would guess that if you have several teeth far enough damaged to give pain, the infection might pose a systematic burden in itself, eventually, if not already. I would favour getting treatment to stop the infection, without xrays if possible. If you can't get it without xrays, I don't know what is best. I have accepted the trade off and accepted xrays several times, but I don't know whether that was wise. If you do go for xrays, I guess you can load up on all the things that are protective (which I can't remember at the moment).

Some of the bacteria that reach high numbers in tooth decay are linked with heart disease. If you have known heart issues, make sure the dentist knows this before embarking on treatment that can push more of the bacteria into he blood stream.

I have heard of, but not seen it offered anywhere round here, an ozone treatment to kill off infection in cavities. I don't know any more about it than that, but maybe worth looking up. But drill and fill may be better than nothing.

Wilfrid

You can try the following:
-1: make your own mouthwash by combining pure vodka, organic cinnamon stick, organic cloves and pure propolis ( if you can find a very good one). Wait until the vodka begins to turn dark brown reddish ( it can takes a few days). Take 1 tsp with warm water, each day, and hold it in your mouth at least 1 minute.
-2: Try to put your hand on a genuine marseille soap ( without any additives or added glycerin of any kind). I don't know where you live but the marseille soap sold under the brand " Marius Fabre " is a good one. Use it like a toothpaste.
-3: Use the most gentle toothbrush that you can find.
-4: Try to do oil pulling by combining either coconut oil or olive oil with 3-4 drops of thorne K2.
-5: Use a straw when you're drinking fruit juice and/or coffee.
-6: Use the raw carrot thing, plus take one caps of oregano oil in the middle of your larger meal. ( Solgar has a good product.)
-7: Stop using vit A, vit D and K orally use them transdermally. When applied topically, around 5~10% of the vitamin is absorbed. Around 15000 IU of D, 40000~50000 IU of A and one caps of Life extension Super K should be more than enough.
-8: Make your own bone broth, don't use any of the commercial gelatin brand.
-9: Eat hard cheese as much as you can ( parmesan is pricy but very very good)
-10: Do kale broth.
-11: Contact Ray and ask him about your condition.
And I would strongly follow Tara's advice.

paymanz

also i have read studies about affect of red light on teeth mineralization.
here is one of them
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22879579
but tara's advise is right i think.and for sure avoiding mercury fillings
the better question might be is there anyone whom been successful to re-mineralize his/her teeth here?!!
my guess is that re-mineralization of teeth is rare

tara

Peat has said he goes to a good dentist who is prepared to work without xrays. Which implies to me that he doesn't rely on his diet to be able to restore damaged teeth.

paymanz

you may seen this before,using Ultrasound to regrow teeth
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 234304.htm
final paragraph of it says:
"After proving it worked, we looked at creating a smaller ultrasound carrier where we can take the patient out as a variable," said El-Bialy. "Before this, a patient would have to hold the ultrasound for 20 minutes a day for a year and that is a lot to ask."

haidut

Forum Supporter
If you have to have dental x-ray done, load up on some methylene blue, niacinamide, caffeine and aspirin about an 1 hour before the x-ray. Then, after the x-ray is done take the above mixture for 3 days. This should take care of the most damaging part of the immediate and post-exposure x-ray effects.
Btw, this recommendation would apply for any x-ray anywhere in the body. If you are getting a CT scan, which is essentially an x-ray on steroids, I would up take the combo for at least a week after the CT scan.
The dosage of each ingredient individually shown to provide some protection is 15mg methylene blue, 1,000mg niacinamide, 1,000mg aspirin, and 400mg caffeine.

OP
F

freyasam

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the help. I am calling a dentist tomorrow. I definitely can't tolerate 400 mg caffeine, but I'll try to take the other things if I do have to get x-rays.

haidut

Forum Supporter
freyasam said:
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the help. I am calling a dentist tomorrow. I definitely can't tolerate 400 mg caffeine, but I'll try to take the other things if I do have to get x-rays.

It doesn't have to be 400mg - that's the dosage that more or less blocked the effects of radiation completely in rats. Taking any amount of caffeine would be helpful so use whatever you can tolerate.

I think the remineralzation thing is snake oil. It is promoted by the Weston Price people who are affiliated with the company that sells what they recommend, Green Pasture Fermented Cod Liver Oil. I'm sure that good nutrition helps teeth, but a certain decay on a certain tooth can get past the point of no return, no matter what you eat or take, and it's those decays that should be fixed by a dentist.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals