Do You Go To The Dentist? Digital X-rays, Etc

answersfound

Do you go to the dentist? My teeth feel great, but I have a chip in one of my teeth that I got from eating a Gummy Bear that basically felt like it had a rock in it or something.

According to this link, and many others, the newer digital X-rays that dentists are using have about 90% less radiation. Is this true?

http://www.williamsburg-dental.com/did- ... radiation/

milk_lover

In older threads, someone sent Ray Peat a link of similar nature and he thought the new technology was BS or a joke. Wait and see what other people here think of this topic. I am interested in this too because my sister has complete faith in those new X-ray technologies those teeth clinics offer and she listens to her dentist blindly (maybe because he's handsome) and does check-ups every 4 months. That's X-ray every 4 months! excessive much? According to her dentist, three x-rays scans in his clinic equal to one x-ray scan in the other surrounding clinics.. He could be lying or not. But how can I trust his judgment? There is bias and conflict of interest.

OP
A

answersfound

milk_lover said:
post 111943 In older threads, someone sent Ray Peat a link of similar nature and he thought the new technology was BS or a joke. Wait and see what other people here think of this topic. I am interested in this too because my sister has complete faith in those new X-ray technologies those teeth clinics offer and she listens to her dentist blindly (maybe because he's handsome) and does check-ups every 4 months. That's X-ray every 4 months! excessive much? According to her dentist, three x-rays scans in his clinic equal to one x-ray scan in the other surrounding clinics.. He could be lying or not. But how can I trust his judgment? There is bias and conflict of interest.

Interesting. I haven't been the dentist in years. My teeth really feel good, and I anticipate more improvement in the coming months. If I do end up going, I'll take niacinamide, aspirin, and caffeine one hour before, as recommended by Haidut. Theres a hollistic dentist near me that does not use any fluoride in their treatments. They seem to be very health-concious, and they mention they use digital x-rays because of the lower radiation risk, so there's that.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

answersfound said:
post 111941 but I have a chip in one of my teeth

I know dentists usually like to take x-ray to look for hidden decay.
But if it's a chip in an easy-to-see place, and you don't have reason to think you have other hidden issues, maybe you can persuade a dentist to fix that chip without x-rays?

Last edited by a moderator:

CoolTweetPete

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but i'm curious if anyone has any new information on how safe digital x-rays are.

I went to the dentist this morning and refused the x-rays. The dental assistant assured me it was necessary to check for hidden decay as tara mentioned above. She said the dose of radiation was very low, less than what I would get in the sun for 10 minutes. This struck me as a selling point for the company hocking the machine, but I hesitantly agreed to it.

I'd like to go back armed with better info next time.

i never get x-rays but I do go to the dentist. Ray has said low radiation x-rays are worse because they are more absorbed instead of passing through.

CoolTweetPete

i never get x-rays but I do go to the dentist. Ray has said low radiation x-rays are worse because they are more absorbed instead of passing through.

Yikes. No wonder I don't feel great now. :D

I'll be sure to say no going forward unless there's a good reason (other than a wild cavity hunt).