Endurance exercise is bad for dental/oral health

haidut

Forum Supporter
It is common knowledge among dentists that athletes often have poor teeth. However, there aren't that many studies on the subject and most of this knowledge is considered anecdotal, so the question of whether some types of exercise are actually detrimental for dental health is not even asked officially out of fear that it would scare people into more sedentary lifestyles. There are a few studies demonstrating a link between endurance exercise and poor dental health but most of those studies were conducted on groups of people too small to be considered statistically significant. Well, the study below may finally change that as it demonstrates that the poor dental health in endurance athletes is not a fluke, and there is even a strong correlation between number of hours spend doing the endurance exercise and how poor the dental health of the subjects were. Perhaps most importantly, the study found that the widespread consumption of sweet drinks by endurance athletes was not associated with poor dental/oral health. Now, while the study is wise enough not to blame the exercise itself for the poor dental health of the athletes, it is well-known that endurance athletes hyperventilate and on average have much lower levels of CO2 in their bodies. Low CO2 levels can directly cause bone and teeth deterioration due to inability of the organism to sequester calcium in those tissues. This is actually common knowledge in veterinary medicine as a result of the observation that during hot weather egg-laying chickens mouth-breathe a lot, which leads to hyperventilation and CO2 loss, which ultimately translates to those chickens laying eggs with extremely brittle/thin shells. Now, wouldn't it be nice if human doctors talked to a vet every once in a while and incorporated some that knowledge into their treatment of humans? :):

http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/sms.14143

"...However, despite the scary stories that circulate every now and then, there isn’t much evidence that tells us how bad this problem really is. Dental exams at Olympic Village in 2012 found that 55 percent of athletes had tooth decay — which sounds bad until you consider that the prevalence of tooth decay among American adults is 92 percent. A small 2015 study found that the risk of cavities was proportional to the hours of training in athletes."

"...A new study in The Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, from a group led by Cordola Leonie Merle and Lisa Richter of the University of Leipzig, gets off to a humble beginning. They compared 88 elite endurance athletes, mostly runners and athletes, all competing with German national or development teams, with 57 non-competing amateur athletes. Crucially, unlike some previous studies in the field, they didn’t just ask them about their health: All subjects received a detailed dental examination, including assessments of caries, dental plaque, and gum health, from the same dentist. The good news: Both groups had lower levels of plaque, gingivitis, and dental erosion. Both groups also had similar numbers of decayed, missing, or filled teeth: 2.7 for the athletes and 2.3 for the controls. But if you narrow that down to just decaying teeth, there was a huge difference: 0.6 for athletes, with a 34 percent prevalence; 0.3 for controls with a prevalence of 19 percent. There were some other differences. The athletes also tended to have deeper pockets between the teeth and gums, a warning sign of gum disease. And they were more likely (43 percent versus 25 percent) to have temporomandibular dysfunction, which indicates problems with the jaw muscles or joints such as clicking when chewing. It’s hard to blame clicking sports drinks, which is an important point. Perhaps the competing athletes have ended up spending a lot of time gnashing or gnashing their teeth at night – or maybe there are some fundamental differences between the two groups that have nothing to do with what they’re drinking. For example, socioeconomic status is a major predictor of dental health (higher income people have more cavities in general, lower income people have untreated caries)."

LA

Thanks. I never looked up a study on teeth although I know that if I push myself to exercise I feel like I am close to death instead of invigorated. Also I used to do a lot of dancing and those I knew who pushed themselves too hard or exercised too much injured their knees and sometimes their feet. 2 marathon runners who were friends of my dad had to have hip operations. Excess in anything does not enhance longevity.

Perry Staltic

There's a very wide spectrum between hard core athletes who exercise all of the time and the sedentary. I'd say for the typical person who exercises regularly and moderately (eg, 3-mile run, 1-mile swim) this study has no applicability or merit

Neeters 27

I agree with the comment above, most people these days are sedentary. a 30 minute daily walk is not exercise, its still sedentary, unless you walk fast enough for the entire 30 minutes that you are increasing heart rate above 120 bpm and sweating. its not exercise per se, its just movement.

akgrrrl

As always, Haidut, your very salient posts encase an intellectual humor which rises through your word choice and phrasing. I start smiling in anticipation no matter how serious or clinical the post's topic.

EustaceBagge

I would like to delve deeper into this:

Endurance athletes often employ a high carbohydrate diet and ignore protein, as protein is often seen as something only weightlifters consume in excess. This is weird as endurance athletes have extremely high muscle damage and are also in a high cortisol environment where protein is used very inefficiently.

Also, many endurance athletes have a workout culture where overtraining is adviced. They follow the principle of accumulating a certain amount of miles a week, instead of judging progress by performance, doing a lot of "easy" runs that are Imo just junk volume.

So if these endurance athletes would consume a higher protein diet with emphasis on gelatin/glycine for tendon health, combined with less overtraining, would they still have the issues we see today with endurance athletes? I guess we will never know, but I sincerely don't believe these athletes are training in accordance to their body. Too addicted to the runner's high I guess.

Eating a spoonful of Manuka or buckwheat honey would be beneficial for mouth breathers, weather it be from exercising or sleeping. Raw honey kills bacteria in the mouth that cause gum disease….

“9 oral benefits of honey

All this research into honey has shown it has some surprising oral health benefits. Below are nine ways honey can benefit the mouth and gums:

1. Honey exerts antibacterial effects on nearly 60 species and prevents the development of resistant strains of bacteria.
  2. Manuka honey is effective in preventing the growth of biofilm organisms, reducing the production of acids, and reducing gingivitis.
  3. Randomized controlled trials indicate honey helps prevent dental caries and gingivitis following orthodontic treatment.
  4. A double-blind randomized controlled trial demonstrated that manuka honey and other raw honeys are almost as effective as chlorhexidine as a mouthwash.”

Summer

Eating a spoonful of Manuka or buckwheat honey would be beneficial for mouth breathers, weather it be from exercising or sleeping. Raw honey kills bacteria in the mouth that cause gum disease….

“9 oral benefits of honey

All this research into honey has shown it has some surprising oral health benefits. Below are nine ways honey can benefit the mouth and gums:

1. Honey exerts antibacterial effects on nearly 60 species and prevents the development of resistant strains of bacteria.
  2. Manuka honey is effective in preventing the growth of biofilm organisms, reducing the production of acids, and reducing gingivitis.
  3. Randomized controlled trials indicate honey helps prevent dental caries and gingivitis following orthodontic treatment.
  4. A double-blind randomized controlled trial demonstrated that manuka honey and other raw honeys are almost as effective as chlorhexidine as a mouthwash.”

I’m almost tempted to coat my teeth in Manuka honey before bed as I do get dry mouth. Seems borderline insane but if honey kills bacteria, maybe it’s genius 🤨

I’m almost tempted to coat my teeth in Manuka honey before bed as I do get dry mouth. Seems borderline insane but if honey kills bacteria, maybe it’s genius 🤨
I eat a spoonful at night after brushing. I don’t necessarily coat my teeth with it, but I move it around the the top of my mouth and move my tongue around the outside of my bottom gums. I notice a big difference in my mouth the next morning not being dry and my breath is more neutral.

Summer

I eat a spoonful at night after brushing. I don’t necessarily coat my teeth with it, but I move it around the the top of my mouth and move my tongue around the outside of my bottom gums. I notice a big difference in my mouth the next morning not being dry and my breath is more neutral.
Awesome. I’ll give that a try tonight. Thanks for the info!

Is there any alternative to manuka honey ? it is unknown in my country
I have read recently that Linden honey has some powers too. I just got in my first jar today.

“What is Linden Honeygood for?​

• Exceptional nutritional properties. High-quality Linden Honey is a source of more vitamins and minerals than other honey varieties, including more than 400 substances and compounds. These include calcium, magnesium, sulfur, copper, potassium, zinc, iodine, aluminum, nickel, phosphorus, manganese and cobalt; Vitamins B1, B2, B5, B6, Vitamin C, biotin, tocopherol, and niacin and organic and inorganic acids (gluconic, citric, lactic, malic, tartaric, linolenic, oxalic, succinic, hydrochloric, and phosphoric).

• Anti-inflammatory. Rich in phenolic and flavonoid compounds, the potential anti-inflammatory power of Linden Honey has been researched with an interest in acting against chronic diseases. This may serve in fighting gastrointestinal tract disorders, edema, cancer, metabolic and cardiovascular diseases, as well as having a role in gut microbiota.

• Prevents acid reflux. Research has shown the role of honey in reducing the flow of undigested food and stomach acid, as it’s capable of lining or enveloping the stomach and esophagus to protect it. This is complemented by honey’s capacities to eliminate inflammatory processes in the digestive system, improving digestion and preventing the reproduction of harmful bacteria.

• It has been linked to lower triglycerideswhen used to replace sugar, thus preventing insulin resistance that leads to type 2 diabetes and other related issues.

• It’s been associated with relieving insomnia and stress, as observed in observational and anecdotal data research. Additional research has also linked it with being of help with other neurological effects, including memory-enhancing, anxiolytic, antinociceptive, anticonvulsant, and antidepressant activities.

Linden Honey vs other types of honey​

Compared to other types of monofloral and multifloral honey, Linden one contains more B and C vitamins and is also a source of more biotin, and niacin.

However, it’s only through following high-quality standards that move away from mass-production processes that linden raw honey provides the crucial nutritional value and other benefits outlined above.”

1700686581295.jpeg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals