High Percentage Of Endurance Athletes Have Asthma

Regina

I'm not saying anything about the way he physically trained dude, I'm talking about his enjoyable mindset to training which obviously ENHANCED his results because he was having fun doing it. A lot of people go to the gym and dread doing it and wonder why they get no results and further stress themselves out MENTALLY. relax man, it was a simple quote that reminded me that the most important part is that if you enjoy the exercise it will dramatically reduce the mental stress of it
Yea, I tried running (when I heard it was "healthy") but it was not enjoyable. Screw that.
If I could not do aikido, I would join a choir and/or find square-dancing. I like the interaction.

TheHound

Yea, I tried running (when I heard it was "healthy") but it was not enjoyable. Screw that.
If I could not do aikido, I would join a choir and/or find square-dancing. I like the interaction.

great to hear! I hate jogging too (sprinting is alright but I haven't done it since high School)

burtlancast

I'm not saying anything about the way he physically trained dude, I'm talking about his enjoyable mindset to training which obviously ENHANCED his results because he was having fun doing it. A lot of people go to the gym and dread doing it and wonder why they get no results and further stress themselves out MENTALLY. relax man, it was a simple quote that reminded me that the most important part is that if you enjoy the exercise it will dramatically reduce the mental stress of it

No biggie, but do you believe that just because Arnold enjoys exercising, he doesn't get overwhelmed regularly with the lactic acid?

I think Ray wrote that lactic acid is precisely the substance causing the muscle to hypertrophy.

Last edited:

Xisca

I love walking and even running when I did, only when I have a purpose to go somewhere!
I hate exercising for exercising.... it is just so much cut from life!
Agree with Regina about interaction, I have done some rowing, and such as singing together, there are moments of BLISS, when there is a feeling of connection while paddling in harmonious rythm with others.

Xisca

I believe Ray wrote that lactic acid is precisely the substance causing the muscle to hypertrophy.
Strange, I have always suffered from pains and aches and never gained muscles.

Xisca

Yea, I'm definitely having to re-think my aikido regimen. Little by little working in changes. First to go was the ridiculous "intermittent fasting" of not eating until noon each day. Making sure enough sugar, fructose and salt to sleep through the night. Be aware of getting out of breath in class. Bringing juice and/or sugary salty milk to class. Change into dry warm outfit for zazen (instead of sitting in a wet gi like everyone else). Being aware of my heart rate, breath and temperature in zazen. Being aware of any rigidity is just plain good aikido. So, in that way, trying to do it more Peaty, makes for better aikido. Getting stiff, frustrated, mouth-breathing are all enemies of aikido. Which done correctly requires no force. So, I am grateful for the new challenges.
Now, peer pressure is just as bad here as in any social structure. I am the ONLY one changing for zazen and drinking a juice box. So, there's the little resentments.....
Duh-oh!
The challenge is that some regimen SEEM to give good results at first.
Maybe intermiten fasting is helpful for some? Mercola seems to like it..... And I must say that I tried to delay breakfast and that I felt GREAT... on fats.
Do you mean beware of NOT getting out of breath in class?
If you practise endurance or any physical activity through out the day, AND never mouth breathe then it s like doing buteyko breathing very often during the day!
Rigidity and stiffness are frozen energy in the body, and when you pay attention to it, it can just go away and disolve by itself. It is much better if it goes without effort, as the effort is like refreezing it.
Endurance is not bad, overdoing it is bad, I mean if you stress, if you do it out of conexión to other beings, if you mouth breathe etc.
Comparing ourselves with athletes is of no use to judge the activity in itself!

So yes, I also agree when you are wisely noting that not doing as your pairs is a drawback of doing the right way for you...

Regina

The challenge is that some regimen SEEM to give good results at first.
Maybe intermiten fasting is helpful for some? Mercola seems to like it..... And I must say that I tried to delay breakfast and that I felt GREAT... on fats.
Do you mean beware of NOT getting out of breath in class?
If you practise endurance or any physical activity through out the day, AND never mouth breathe then it s like doing buteyko breathing very often during the day!
Rigidity and stiffness are frozen energy in the body, and when you pay attention to it, it can just go away and disolve by itself. It is much better if it goes without effort, as the effort is like refreezing it.
Endurance is not bad, overdoing it is bad, I mean if you stress, if you do it out of conexión to other beings, if you mouth breathe etc.
Comparing ourselves with athletes is of no use to judge the activity in itself!

So yes, I also agree when you are wisely noting that not doing as your pairs is a drawback of doing the right way for you...
Thanks. I think I can manage this without getting out of breath very often.
I think my teacher thought I was popped in the nose last night. Because when we knelt between techniques I cupped my hands over my mouth and nose to simulate bag-breathing. It totally works! I used to just suck in air between techniques. But doing the opposite speeds up the recovery many many times faster.
Yea, we are constantly getting/giving feedback and making calibrations with each other wrt to stiffness.

Xisca

Ho, so great you can do it! It is difficult to force oneself when already out of breath, even slightly! I mean the first step is hard, and then of course it Works and that is a victory, a deep satisfaction to overcome the first reflex.

Zen techniques are also to overcome stiffness, by being relaxed and trust that stifness is not necessary to prepare oneself for the adequate movement. This trust is what we need, so that we allow activation to go down naturally, without keep it "just in case" for the next wave of activation.

I guess that high level athletes have asthma because they do not know Buteyko and the right way to breathe.
I did breathe properly when I did it on my own, and I changed for mouth breathe when I was told to....

Then the other reason they have asthma, is because of permanent stress that has no time to go down, and the natural waves of the neurotransmittors are disrupted.

Too much is too much when you are training for top level, but they give us clues about what to do and not to do when we live an ordinary ife though::::

Regina

Ho, so great you can do it! It is difficult to force oneself when already out of breath, even slightly! I mean the first step is hard, and then of course it Works and that is a victory, a deep satisfaction to overcome the first reflex.

Zen techniques are also to overcome stiffness, by being relaxed and trust that stifness is not necessary to prepare oneself for the adequate movement. This trust is what we need, so that we allow activation to go down naturally, without keep it "just in case" for the next wave of activation.

I guess that high level athletes have asthma because they do not know Buteyko and the right way to breathe.
I did breathe properly when I did it on my own, and I changed for mouth breathe when I was told to....

Then the other reason they have asthma, is because of permanent stress that has no time to go down, and the natural waves of the neurotransmittors are disrupted.

Too much is too much when you are training for top level, but they give us clues about what to do and not to do when we live an ordinary ife though::::
We did one hour of zazen (zen meditation) after two classes last night. Then chanted 4 main sutras and did a little misogi breathing exercises.
I think all main popular sports will start to incorporate whatever works in to their conditioning.

Xisca

Yes but the results will never be the same for ordinary training, and too much pushing for top competition.... I am against competition for this reason, it is too stressful. Some people need this stress because it is incorporated into themselves, as a continuous adrenalin state that they justify and calm down exactly as smokers do withh a cigarette. I do not critic it, I just see that this happens

Steve

Stress hormones, which lead to fatty acid release. Walking slowly and only to the point of depleting glycogen is perfectly fine. If you exert yourself, cortisol/adrenalin get activated and you release fatty acids even if there is glycogen available. You also start breaking down muscle tissue.
Basically, exercise if good for you if it is enjoyable and done without much strain. Pushing yourself too hard or for too long activates the stress metabolism, and if done chronically your body will adapt to run (pun intended) on fat. This is what we know as insulin resistance and ultimately diabetes type II.
This is an old thread, but I was researching "endurance" exercise because I enjoy hiking & long bike rides.
I kind of understand the science backing up claims that it's unhealthy, but my bull**** meter also goes off thinking something is being missed by the science.

If I go on an all-day hike keeping my heart rate in the aerobic zone & eat plenty of food & rest every now & then I find it hard to believe this is unhealthy.
I can see it being unhealthy if you don't take some time to recover from something strenuous & just keep at it like a madman day after day after day after day.
I don't even think something like hiking the Appalachian Trail is unhealthy if you don't push yourself too hard, eat plenty of food, & you take time off of exercise when done to recover.

I'm reading a book now called "Training for the New Alpinism" & one of their main goals is to switch their bodies to "run on fat".
Above you said this is "insulin resistance" & ultimately diabetes type II.
I just find it hard to believe these guys who have spent countless hours studying this stuff wouldn't know whether or not they are making themselves diabetic.
As far as fit & healthy..........I don't know how healthy they are, but the things they can do are super-human in some cases. They definitely look fit & healthy.

So maybe these scientific theories are correct, but I find them hard to believe. Endurance exercise done incorrectly is bad of course, but maybe if it's done correctly it is good.
Stay in aerobic zone, fuel your body, recover afterwards.
Any other thoughts on this?

rei

There is a tremendous difference in nosebreathing and mouthbreathing, several studies exist. It is not surprising long-term powerful mouthbreathing during stress is very bad for you. Proper exercise is such that it makes you dead tired while being able to stick to intense nose breathing, or short occasional intervals of mouthbreathing.

If you do sports seriously this is of course impossible in many disciplines, but i am specifically talking about normal exercise, not when taken to extreme.

Last edited:

nwo2012

There is a tremendous difference in nosebreathing and mouthbreathing, several studies exist. It is not surprising long-term powerful mouthbreathing during stress is very bad for you. Proper exercise is such that it makes you dead tired while being able to stick to intense nose breathing, or short occasional intervals of mouthbreathing.

If you do sports seriously this is of course impossible in many disciplines, but i am specifically talking about normal exercise, not when taken to extreme.

Completely agree. With regular Buteyko exercises, and mouthtaping at night, I got to the point of being able to complete a full martial arts session, including sparring against multiple opponents without rest, whilst nosebreathing exclusively.

Hypermnesia

I'm pretty sure asthma drugs are PEDS for endurance sports and they don't actually have higher rates of asthma

“It turns out that exercise induces the signs and symptoms of asthma, not only in “asthmatics,” but in normal people too.” Ray Peat

“Exercise increases the incidence of asthma.” -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom