Benefits Of Endurance Exercise

blob69

Is there any truth to the below? When I browse the internet for this topic I get pretty much only the type of information that contradicts Peat...

"Long distance runners are the only group of athletes that have a longer life span than non-athletes, according to “The End of Ohm: A Science Fantasy for Overcoming Resistance to Lifestyle Change." Rigorous endurance training can improve your cardiovascular system, leading to increases in your VO2 max -- the maximal amount of oxygen uptake -- blood flow and the number of capillaries that supply blood to your muscles. In addition, the muscles of distance runners have more mitochondria, or the powerhouses in a cell that use oxygen to produce energy. In contrast, the muscles of sprinters have fewer mitochondria but a greater number of enzymes required for glycolysis -- a process that breaks down carbohydrates for energy and doesn’t require oxygen."

Source: The Physical Difference Between Long Distance Runners & Sprinters

Last edited:

nograde

Endurance exercise "works" because:

1) It creates lot's of CO2 in short time. That leads to adaption which helps to retain more of it even at rest. You get the same effect with regular bag-breathing. Runners get very miserable after two days of inactivity, which matches exactly my experience with CO2 retention-training via bag-breathing.

2) It shunts fatty acids to your muscle for burning. This only works with very light activity like walking slightly faster than normal. Most get this wrong and overdo it.

3) It ramps up metabolism via increased stress hormones. Most runners operate in this mode, which you can easily see when you look at mostly non-existant muscle and overall tissue wasting especially in the face (Cortisol!)

hot
Cardio.jpg

OP
B

blob69

Runners get very miserable after two days of inactivity, which matches exactly my experience with CO2 retention-training via bag-breathing.

Interesting, nograde! Do you notice feeling worse than you did before you started the bag-breathing in the first place?

It would be interesting to study sperm quality and miscarriage risk among runners...

Tarmander

Phases of Running:

1. Running is great! I am losing weight! I am gaining more endurance and strength! For once in my life my hectic unstable life has something that is predictable and purposeful.

2. Running is getting harder for some reason, but I just have to push through the pain, and take more Vitamin I.... I am not out of breath anymore, but it all seems much harder to get myself out there. I can't stop or I start to gain a little weight.

Now it branches off:

3. I had to quit running because of work/kids, I put on 20-50 pounds relatively rapidly. I should really get out there and run again.

or

3. I continue to run, get injuries, and have to keep increasing the amount of distance I am running to get the same good feelings. I cannot just run a mile or two and feel accomplished, I have to run 5, or 10, or more. I have to compete and push myself to get the last little bits out of my metabolism. I hang out with other burnt out runners and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

That is my anecdotal experience from becoming a runner for a few months and viewing other runners.

OP
B

blob69

It would be interesting to study sperm quality and miscarriage risk among runners...

Here is some research on various diseases (associations only):
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/ S0025-6196(15)00621-7/fulltext#sec2.1

Studies apparently show max. health benefits at 40 mins of running per week, which is not that much. But again these are just associations, meaning that ill people being sedentary skew these statistics. Not sure how they can draw any conclusions from them really...

OP
B

blob69

Phases of Running:

1. Running is great! I am losing weight! I am gaining more endurance and strength! For once in my life my hectic unstable life has something that is predictable and purposeful.

2. Running is getting harder for some reason, but I just have to push through the pain, and take more Vitamin I.... I am not out of breath anymore, but it all seems much harder to get myself out there. I can't stop or I start to gain a little weight.

Now it branches off:

3. I had to quit running because of work/kids, I put on 20-50 pounds relatively rapidly. I should really get out there and run again.

or

3. I continue to run, get injuries, and have to keep increasing the amount of distance I am running to get the same good feelings. I cannot just run a mile or two and feel accomplished, I have to run 5, or 10, or more. I have to compete and push myself to get the last little bits out of my metabolism. I hang out with other burnt out runners and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

That is my anecdotal experience from becoming a runner for a few months and viewing other runners.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Tarmander. So you noticed the effects wearing off after just months of running?

Tarmander

Thanks for sharing your experience, Tarmander. So you noticed the effects wearing off after just months of running?

Nah I could have kept going. I was just getting into it. But I looked around and decided it was not for me. Thank god.

nograde

Interesting, nograde! Do you notice feeling worse than you did before you started the bag-breathing in the first place?

It takes two days of bag-breathing (3-4 times/day for about 1 minute) to get into a euphoric kind of state and it takes two days to level off. Then feel the same as before.

OP
B

blob69

It takes two days of bag-breathing (3-4 times/day for about 1 minute) to get into a euphoric kind of state and it takes two days to level off. Then feel the same as before.

Wow, euphoric... maybe I should try this too! What kind of a bag are you using?

OP
B

blob69

Nah I could have kept going. I was just getting into it. But I looked around and decided it was not for me. Thank god.

Personally I've never felt compelled to run, but I hear from others that they used to be the same way, however, once they started running regularly, they couldn't stop without feeling worse than they did before. Doesn't sound good to me.

Agent207

Endurance exercise "works" because:

1) It creates lot's of CO2 in short time. That leads to adaption which helps to retain more of it even at rest. You get the same effect with regular bag-breathing. Runners get very miserable after two days of inactivity, which matches exactly my experience with CO2 retention-training via bag-breathing.

Do you still training to improve CO2 levels?

nograde

Wow, euphoric... maybe I should try this too! What kind of a bag are you using?

It's not Peaty but I use a normal shopping/plastic bag. Over the years I developed a special "technique" that seems to be most efficient for me: I start by completely closing the bag over my head. This takes about 30 seconds to become uncomfortable. Then I open up the bag a bit to let in some air and continue for another 30 seconds.

nograde

Do you still training to improve CO2 levels?

No, I only try to do some regular walking in an interesting environment. Not nature because it bores me to death. Mostly crowded streets and places where I can watch other people, always with some ice-cream in my hands ;-)

OP
B

blob69

It's not Peaty but I use a normal shopping/plastic bag. Over the years I developed a special "technique" that seems to be most efficient for me: I start by completely closing the bag over my head. This takes about 30 seconds to become uncomfortable. Then I open up the bag a bit to let in some air and continue for another 30 seconds.

Well, I'm having issues with regular paper bags, that's why I asked :) I will now try your method. You said before that you return to the baseline if you quit the practice, but I'm guessing that there should be some lasting improvements if one does it for years?

nograde

Well, I'm having issues with regular paper bags, that's why I asked :) I will now try your method. You said before that you return to the baseline if you quit the practice, but I'm guessing that there should be some lasting improvements if one does it for years?

Well, one aspect of feeling really good is that you forget about all "protocols", so I have to start over again regularly ;-)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals