High Percentage Of Endurance Athletes Have Asthma

Regina

I think specifically about swimmers is that they mouth breathe. And that is the entire reason for their having so much asthma.
I was thinking about swimmers last night too! Wow, it horrified me.
I've been made fun of for always smiling on the mat. I never understand when people equate taking training seriously with getting mean-faced.

burtlancast

If Ray asserts that healthy exercise should never leave you out of breath, then how should we view the natural heart enlargement (where the ventricles enlarge in order to eject more blood at once, and the heart rhythm diminishes simultaneously) that comes from endurance exercise?

Ray wrote that progesterone does the same thing; it allows the heart to eject more at once ( makes each stroke more efficient at ejecting blood) while preventing a higher heart beat.

A slower heart beat in athletes primarily indicates a natural adaptation of the heart at ejecting more blood while maintaining a slower heart beat, and not what he wrote about hypothyroidism.

TheHound

there's a good quote by Arnold Schwarzenegger :

"When I trained in the gym and everyone was running around huffing and puffing, I had a smile on my face.".

burtlancast

there's a good quote by Arnold Schwarzenegger :

"When I trained in the gym and everyone was running around huffing and puffing, I had a smile on my face.".

Smiling?

Probably at himself...

The guy has already had valve replacement surgery, and probably has kidney dialysis, both due to his heavy steroid use.

"Steroid use has long been associated with central hypertrophy of the heart and valve issues"
Anabolic Steroid Abuse and Dangerous Blood Pressure : NCSF

"DIALYSIS IS COMMON TO MANY BODYBUILDERS AND ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER IS RUMORED TO BE RECEIVING DIALYSIS TREATMENTS 3-TIMES PER WEEK."
STEROID DEATHS DURING THE HOLIDAYS « Steroid Analysis

Of course he will deny all of it.

it is a very bad practice to mouth breathe during exercise. I think the swimmers almost all mouth breathe. And this results in hyperventilation. Runners may too, sometimes, but I know swimmers always do (although there are a few that nose breathe, it's more awkward)

TheHound

Smiling?

Probably at himself...

The guy has already had valve replacement surgery, and probably has kidney dialysis, both due to his heavy steroid use.

"Steroid use has long been associated with central hypertrophy of the heart and valve issues"

"DIALYSIS IS COMMON TO MANY BODYBUILDERS AND ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER IS RUMORED TO BE RECEIVING DIALYSIS TREATMENTS 3-TIMES PER WEEK."

way to miss the whole point of what I said. also, Arnold was born with a bicuspid aortic valve

michael94

Smiling?

Probably at himself...

Back in the 60s, 70s, 80s oral steroids were taken like candy. These are incredibly harsh on the liver and lead to mild grade cirrhosis and bile congestion. When the liver cannot filter the blood sufficiently the kidney have to take over hence the need for dialysis. Toxins will accumulate in the semen, also, which is the actual cause of "blue balls", not consistent with a healthy sexual drive...

Xisca

Stress hormones, which lead to fatty acid release. Walking slowly and only to the point of depleting glycogen is perfectly fine. If you exert yourself, cortisol/adrenalin get activated and you release fatty acids even if there is glycogen available. You also start breaking down muscle tissue.
Basically, exercise if good for you if it is enjoyable and done without much strain. Pushing yourself too hard or for too long activates the stress metabolism, and if done chronically your body will adapt to run (pun intended) on fat. This is what we know as insulin resistance and ultimately diabetes type II.
I can see what happened to me.... I did work in the sport field. I was not active as a top athlete, but I was sometimes active a full day, 7 days a week... As it was in nature and with varied movements, I did not hurt specific joints, but have some fibrosis in some muscles.
And I remember 2 cases in (low level) competition:
I WON..... and I was fasting after not sleeping at night.
Just incredible!

I do have normal-high glucose, so some insuline resistance, confirmed by slugginesh in the morning sometimes or often, that is solved by coffee or going back to bed after breakfast!

Xisca

I selected a few part of this post....
What do I share?
My body just doesn't tolerate it anymore. When I was younger, I could sprint, run for miles;
I used to get a runners high (which I found addcitive, I will admit), but that suddenly stopped, and I become horrendously short of breath.
Now when I run, my body feels destroyed. Yet, to look at me, you'd think I was incredibly fit and healthy.
despite being 33, I often get told that I look like I am in my twenties.
it would literally take my body 5 days to recover from a workout, and my muscles would be extremely painful during this recovery period.

Anyone else experienced this?
Not as strong but....
When I was 49, people thought I was between 40 and 43... and Athletic etc.
But they do nnot know it hurts inside muscles. The pain to recover from Little is because of lactic acid instead of co2, even when there is oxygen.
I was like this from the begginning, and I have fighten it to stay fit and live the life I wanted.
Always had pains and aches....

I had a runner high ONLY ONCE.
Never will I forget.

I am almost sure it is caused by serotonin, well they say also endorphin....

burtlancast

way to miss the whole point of what I said. also, Arnold was born with a bicuspid aortic valve

Well, besides Arnold proud of not being a girlie man, your post didn't seem to make other points.

And concerning the bicuspid story, i have my doubts:

"In the community, asymptomatic patients with bicuspid aortic valve and no or minimal hemodynamic abnormality, enjoy excellent long-term survival but incur frequent cardiovascular events, particularly with progressive valve dysfunction. Echocardiographic valve degeneration at diagnosis separates higher-risk patients who require regular assessment from lower-risk patients who only require episodic follow-up."
Natural History of Asymptomatic Patients with Normally Functioning or Minimally Dysfunctional Bicuspid Aortic Valve in the Community

Arnold is seven times Mr Olympia...

Regina

I can see what happened to me.... I did work in the sport field. I was not active as a top athlete, but I was sometimes active a full day, 7 days a week... As it was in nature and with varied movements, I did not hurt specific joints, but have some fibrosis in some muscles.
And I remember 2 cases in (low level) competition:
I WON..... and I was fasting after not sleeping at night.
Just incredible!

I do have normal-high glucose, so some insuline resistance, confirmed by slugginesh in the morning sometimes or often, that is solved by coffee or going back to bed after breakfast!
Yea, I'm definitely having to re-think my aikido regimen. Little by little working in changes. First to go was the ridiculous "intermittent fasting" of not eating until noon each day. Making sure enough sugar, fructose and salt to sleep through the night. Be aware of getting out of breath in class. Bringing juice and/or sugary salty milk to class. Change into dry warm outfit for zazen (instead of sitting in a wet gi like everyone else). Being aware of my heart rate, breath and temperature in zazen. Being aware of any rigidity is just plain good aikido. So, in that way, trying to do it more Peaty, makes for better aikido. Getting stiff, frustrated, mouth-breathing are all enemies of aikido. Which done correctly requires no force. So, I am grateful for the new challenges.
Now, peer pressure is just as bad here as in any social structure. I am the ONLY one changing for zazen and drinking a juice box. So, there's the little resentments.....
Duh-oh!

TheHound

Well, besides Arnold proud of not being a girlie man, your post didn't seem to make other points.

And concerning the bicuspid story, i have my doubts:

"In the community, asymptomatic patients with bicuspid aortic valve and no or minimal hemodynamic abnormality, enjoy excellent long-term survival but incur frequent cardiovascular events, particularly with progressive valve dysfunction. Echocardiographic valve degeneration at diagnosis separates higher-risk patients who require regular assessment from lower-risk patients who only require episodic follow-up."
Natural History of Asymptomatic Patients with Normally Functioning or Minimally Dysfunctional Bicuspid Aortic Valve in the Community

Arnold is seven times Mr Olympia...

I have honestly no clue where you are going with this dude but you're taking my post way out of context. It was really simple but you're blowing it up into another issue

With my original quote I was referring to what haidut said: "The more fun the exercise the less stressful and lactic acid-producing it is."

Arnold smiling, and fun exercise that you enjoy. Can you connect the two now? Not sure what made you think this was a steroid debate

tara

I think specifically about swimmers is that they mouth breathe. And that is the entire reason for their having so much asthma.
Depends how often they breath, and whether it is too much relative to current exertion/oxygen demand?
I am by no means athletic, but when I did some swimming last season I was swimming at a rate that made for slight air hunger, and I felt good and calm breathing afterwards. Though it could be the cold water or other factors too.

How about frequent prolonged chlorine exposure as another possible contender?

Regina

Depends how often they breath, and whether it is too much relative to current exertion/oxygen demand?
I am by no means athletic, but when I did some swimming last season I was swimming at a rate that made for slight air hunger, and I felt good and calm breathing afterwards. Though it could be the cold water or other factors too.

How about frequent prolonged chlorine exposure as another possible contender?
Ah yes. Mouth-breathing, endurance and stewing in chlorine. :bucktooth:

burtlancast

I have honestly no clue where you are going with this dude but you're taking my post way out of context. It was really simple but you're blowing it up into another issue

With my original quote I was referring to what haidut said: "The more fun the exercise the less stressful and lactic acid-producing it is."

Arnold smiling, and fun exercise that you enjoy. Can you connect the two now? Not sure what made you think this was a steroid debate

No, you simply are completely mistaken about how Arnold got where he is.
That's why your post made no other sense than what i wrote.

Here's 17 min where Arnold explains what bodybuilding is about: "Shock and stress the muscle"

Exactly the opposite of the Haidut quote you posted.

tara

then how should we view the natural heart enlargement (where the ventricles enlarge in order to eject more blood at once, and the heart rhythm diminishes simultaneously) that comes from endurance exercise?
I don't know that this is viewed as medically advantageous from mortality PoV?

It would be interesting to know the mortality rate of former elite endurance athletes
I think there are studies showing lower than average mortality.
But that doesn't say anything much about how endurance athletics would serve the rest of us. I imagine most of the long term endurance athletes might be the ones who have the energy for it (or at least start out with more than average energy).
Who knows if the elite crew would have had better or worse mortality if they didn't get into endurance athletics.

TheHound

No, you simply are completely mistaken about how Arnold got where he is.
That's why your post made no other sense than what i wrote.

Here's 17 min where Arnold explains what bodybuilding is about: "Shock and stress the muscle"

Exactly the opposite of the Haidut quote you posted.

I'm not saying anything about the way he physically trained dude, I'm talking about his enjoyable mindset to training which obviously ENHANCED his results because he was having fun doing it. A lot of people go to the gym and dread doing it and wonder why they get no results and further stress themselves out MENTALLY. relax man, it was a simple quote that reminded me that the most important part is that if you enjoy the exercise it will dramatically reduce the mental stress of it

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom