Thyroid + Oral Health

schultz

I looked for a teeth and/or oral health subforum, but I didn't see one. @charlie, if there is not already, maybe there could be such a thing?

Some of you may have looked at these studies already, but I thought I would post them since they are quite fascinating. Ray, and various people on the forum, have talked about the connection to thyroid health and dental health. I haven't seen any new studies on this topic, though if some exist that any of you know about, please post them!

In the second paper it should be noted that the diets of the 2 different groups of rats were exactly the same (other than quantity of food eaten). The rats given desiccated thyroid had approximately half as many dental caries as the group that didn't receive desiccated thyroid. These are pretty incredible results considering the only difference between the groups was supplemental thyroid.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00220345570360041301?journalCode=jdrb
"An inverse relationship appears to exist between the activity of the thyroid gland and the incidence of dental caries in the rat. Thus, the feeding of dessicated thyroid or the injection of thyroxine, significantly reduces dental caries, and the administration of antithyroid compounds, such as thiouracil, or radioactive iodine, significantly increases dental caries."

"The results of this experiment show that the activity of the thyroid
gland, as judged by histologic study, is closely related to the incidence of dental
caries in the rat. "

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/00220345570360060901?journalCode=jdrb
"Previous experiments have shown that the ingestion of a cariogenic diet containing desiccated thyroid will significantly reduce the incidence of dental caries in the rat. In this experiment the importance of the amount of food consumed daily by rats on such a regime was considered. Under ad libitum feeding conditions, desiccated thyroid added to a cariogenic diet significantly reduced the dental caries incidence when compared to a control group receiving the same diet without thyroid. When control animals receiving a nonthyroid containing cariogenic diet were pair-fed with animals receiving the same diet to which desiccated thyroid had been added, the thyroid-fed animals again demonstrated a significant decrease in caries incidence."

alywest

I'm convinced that because thyroid allows the absorption of the fat soluble vitamins it has that effect on teeth. My teeth were so bad before I took t3, it was getting to the point where anytime I went to the dentist (about once a year) I would have at least 4 new caries. My dentist thought I was a meth addict or something. Plus my mouth was really dry due to taking ssri's I guess but I think the thyroid helps with the saliva as well, so that keeps teeth healthier apparently. Not something they talk about at the dentist. With them it's all "floss, floss, floss! brush 2-3 times a day! use fluoride and get cleanings!!!" I personally use fluoride now in my toothpaste but I fortunately don't have it in my water supply. I think whoever came up with adding it to the water supply was dreadfully wrong and it's sad that many municipalities still believe that that will improve our dental health and not harm our general health by helping to ruin our thyroids more!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals