Genetic influences on circulating retinol and its relationship to human health

Soren

Forum Supporter
This study appears to be showing that there are broad beneficial effects the more retinols that a person has circulating in their blood. Now it is a genetic study and that automatically makes me a bit skeptical but it is still interesting.

I've posted a link to the article I've quoted and the pubmed below.

Genetic influences on circulating retinol and its relationship to human health

Largest genetic study on circulating retinol reveals new insights into its impact on health

"In this study, scientists have conducted the most extensive genome-wide association study of circulating retinol in up to 22,274 participants of European ancestry."

"Regarding functional aspects, the study uncovered some less-characterized roles of retinol, including its influence on brain structure and connectivity. Retinol was found to modulate the thickness and surface area of several brain regions, including the right rostral anterior cingulate cortex. An increased thickness of this brain region has been observed in schizophrenia patients. The inverse association observed in the study between the circulating level of retinol and the thickness of the right rostral anterior cingulate cortex indicates a protective role of retinol in schizophrenia
."

The study appears to be implying that higher circulating retinols is protective for brain conditions like schizophrenia. I think that it is a leap obviously to state such a thing conclusively and I know some will say that all these studies are bunk and bias so they can be dismissed but I still believe that even though many studies have poor methodology there is still a great deal that can be learned by them.

I would be interested if anyone had any studies showing how low vitamin A improved brain function

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals