Freely Eating Sugar Ruined Me

tara

Yeah I like those articles, quite interesting reads thanks

However Im not talking about modern humans, and Victorians are still considered modern humans. Im talking about humans up until civilization. Humans have been around in some cro-magnon form for perhaps a million years before modern humans, and I was making the point that none of them would be eating very many carbs or sugars on a daily basis...
I was responding to your reference to humans before the last century or so. If you are not talking about humans in approximately our current form, I'll not speculate. As to pre-civilised humans, I find at least plausible the theory that proposes getting control of fire as a way to cook starch may have been key to evolving the current energy-hungry frontal cortex. And I expect that more than 300 g of carbs would have had to have been pretty common for us to have evolved as we have to use it.

OP
L

lampofred

This really isn't what the Peat way is about. Why would you do this?

I guess I need to explain this because several people seem to think I just skimmed a paragraph of Ray Peat's articles and starting doing daily coca-cola binges to the exclusion of any other food. I started off following the guidelines to a tee: at least two quarts of milk a day, one quart of OJ, daily eggs, daily coconut oil, occasional potatoes, etc. But this diet just has such little variety. After a few weeks, it got to the point where even a glass of milk would give me diarrhea, orange juice would make me nauseous (and gave me very high blood pressure temporarily), eggs would also make me nauseous, etc. I literally got sick of all Peat staples. I'm a college student, and I don't have the money to buy raw, organic milk and thousands of calories worth of fruit daily, which would be outrageously expensive. So because OJ was so bad for me, and because I read many positive things about Coca-cola on here, I switched out OJ with Coca-cola as my source of sugar.

I've made threads before saying that the Peat way of eating was making me lethargic with a loss of motivation. As time progressed, even foods like beef/lamb started making me nauseous until a few weeks ago, the only source of calories I could tolerate anymore was coca-cola. And the more coke I drank, the lazier I got. And over time, coke started being less tasty and became my "baseline" and everything else started tasting like leather. But when I tried to stop drinking coke and start eating healthier Peat-approved foods, my sense of nausea and lack of ability to taste made it so that I couldn't stomach anything.

So I've decided to take a break and go back to eating PUFA because I'm basically starving. Peat's ideas about the benefits of caffeine/aspirin/CO2/etc. are great, but avoiding PUFA is too restrictive for me.

It's hard to know from that whether the problem was the sugar replacing starch, or the coca cola displacing minerals, vitamins and protein. Did you try other fruits and juices, or just give up and switch to coke when OJ didn't work for you?

Sliced up spuds baked with a bit of coconut oil or beef fat or sauted in butter taste great and beat reloading with PUFA. Yes, they make a meal. Go quite well with lightly fried eggs or liver. I believe poster Jenn has written about rebuilding her health largely on potatoes when she couldn't manage much else.
You could also try baking/frying chips made of whatever other roots and tubers you have available too.

I imagine you may also be seriously mineral depleted too.
Try making soup out of gelatinous stock and veges or green broth.
And try other kinds of juice and fruit to see if there are some kinds that agree with you. Some people can't cope with OJ but do fine with eg clear apple juice.

I'd consider aiming for some protein every time yout eat, and some fruit/veges/juice/broth for minerals. Maybe 5-6 meals a day each containing some fruits or vegetables, roots or tubers, some protein (cheese/egg/shellfish/fish/liver/meat - gelatinous is good). Use cronometer and check that you are covering basic mineral and vitamin needs.
You can't make good use of sugar without various minerals and vitamins - yes zinc, but also potassium, b-vits, etc. Coke doesn't give you any of that. Oysters are one of the richest natural sources of zinc. Beef has some too. Home grilled steak and chips and tomatoes?

Soups/broths sound really good. Basically, I can stomach anything hot/liquid-y but nothing solid like meat.

Have you considered the possibility of gut overgrowth?
Perhaps you should force-feed yourself some protein, eggs are good and easy to eat.

I actually strongly think I have bacterial overgrowth. The carrot salad is the one thing I never took that seriously, but I need to try it.

Solid Evidence That Stress Causes Obesity

Your case----"Excess cortisol does not cause overeating, quite to the contrary - it is well known and undisputed that cortisol suppresses appetite because it raises blood sugar. Cortisol does lower metabolism and also raises estrogen. In addition, cortisol suppresses gonadal function, neurosteroid synthesis, and atrophies muscle tissue (which is the primary factor in RMR)."

And cortisol is main driver in craving junk highly palatable foods.

It raises blood sugar so it may be that you were really missing proteins.

I also had issues with table sugar until I upped my protein intake to close to 200 g . Were u eating meat and liver?

I used to eat a lot of eggs, beef, and gelatin along with moderate amounts of cheese. Eggs, beef, and gelatin (especially gelatin) all make me extremely nauseous now. So cheese is my only source of quality protein currently, and I can't get 100g of protein from cheese every day, so my protein intake is low.

There's no reason to believe you "overdid it" with Coca-Cola. Start eating small amounts of the most nutrient dense foods you can handle (kale broth, maybe an egg, or maybe some liver, cheese or steak). Each day, add a bit more.

I'm going to try loading up on broths and liver.

Man, how is sugar a drug. How do you even define "downregulation" if the normal state of being is WITH sugar. And this guy is talking about "going back to starch" when that actually gets sugar to your brain EVEN QUICKER.

You know exactly what I mean by sugar. Sucrose, not glucose.

Blood work helps the most, u really need to be careful with this forum. Have u read rays article on sugar?

I mean, we dont even know if your vitamin D is off, that can cause problems right there by itself

I've donated blood quite a few times recently, and all my minerals/blood cell counts/etc. are always very good. So physically, there is nothing wrong (although severely under-eating is making me lose my hair again after a long time of no loss), but mentally it feels like a lot is off.

Eat a variety and a vast variety at that. Having a restricted diet for an extended period of time will almost always result in a deficiency in something. Organ meats and shellfish are among the most nutritional foods for recovering from a nutrient deprived state.

Definitely, definitely, definitely. Eating the same foods over and over again is what made me so sick of food that I stopped eating. I should've just eaten regular PUFA-laden food once I realized things weren't working instead of trying to stick it through.

OP did NOT gain 25 pounds eating 1000 cals per day
and unicorns don't actually bleed rainbow blood
#realitycheck

lmao okay man. clearly if something doesn't make sense to you, it couldn't have happened.

I don't think he's wrong, necessarily. I think other people's interpretations and applications of his theories are wrong sometimes, and when people follow those misinterpretations and misapplications without success, they blame Peat and his theories.

That said some of what you said is spot on, even if I disagree on paleo unless it's the "new" paleo that takes into account that our ancestors probably ate alot of carbs and not nearly as much fat as we do.

But IMO you may be taking some attitudes by some of the forum members too personally, though. Most people find their way here because of health problems, and my observations is that often certain unattractive behavioral/personality traits accompany health problems. I've lived through them, myself. When those health-induced personality traits are combined with a degree of immaturity and interpersonal myopia resulting from lack of life experience, unnecessary smart-assery, judgy-ness, exaggerated condescension towards those who don't agree, superiority complexes, and other general types of hilarity often ensue. I see a lot of that around here in certain threads. This being one. Don't let it get you down. Happens in forums all over the internet, anyway.

@lampofred, don't let it get you down, either. Don't get disgusted and go off. You went off on a wrong track, and now you're trying to correct it. That's all we can do when we go off on the wrong track, and screw any condescending kotex who tries to make you feel bad for making mistakes. @tara and @theLaw and some others gave you some good advice, so I hope you're paying attention to them and ignoring the rest of the dreary white noise that's trying to pass itself off as wit or intelligence.

My own experience is that processed sugar is best very limited, and in cases where there may be liver dysfunction, even fructose is best limited or at least not combined with fat for a time. If your liver isn't working that well, fruit/fruit juice + fat will result in weight gain. My experience has been that too much fruit or fruit juice in general may result in weight gain in the presence of liver dysfunction, as well. Metabolic problems such as weight gain with little provocation being indicative of some degree of liver dysfunction.

Similarly, my experience has been that too much protein isn't good if the liver isn't working up to par.

My experience is also that when in the beginning of recovery from severe depeletion *nutritional supplements are necessary*. Especially if compromised digestion might be present. Supps may be the only way to make up the chronic, long-term deficit that ran you into the ground.

Exactly what supplements a person might need varies from person to person, but when recovering from a very nutrient poor diet like you've described, the active forms of all the B vitamins (including methylcobalamin, adenosylcobalamin, and methylfolate), alpha GPC (choline) couple times per week, the Peat supps (vitamin A, E, K2, etc.), magnesium, zinc, selenium might be the minimum I would throw at myself. If I was you, that is. But it's your decision.

All the B's being very, very important.

Oh, and gelatin. IMO Peat's spot on about gelatin. I'm turning into a huge fan of that. Although that's really more of a staple than a supplement. Takes a while for some of us to be able to use it, though.

Supplement use can be tapered off as you recover, if you choose. I still use supps, myself, but things I used to take every day I only use a couple times per week now. For example. But when I first started to recover there were alot of things I had to take every day for months on end before I could do without them.

Also, please try to unwean yourself from the idea that something has to be tasty to eat it. It doesn't. After a few days of not eating things with intense flavor like processed sugar or really salty food (like processed french fries), what was formerly unappealing starts to taste pretty good.

I wish you the best. Might try to stay out of the soda aisle for a while. ;)

Let us know how you do. :)

You sound very wise. And yes, I think I just need to go back to the basics. Forget the specifics like calcium-phosphorus and stuff like that, and just focus on nutrient density, variety, and supplements.

"what was formerly unappealing starts to taste pretty good." really hoping this happens soon.

Last edited:
You know exactly what I mean by sugar. Sucrose, not glucose.

So you think it was fructose then, the other half of sucrose, not the glucose half but the fructose half. Fruit and fruit juice is fructose too.

I've donated blood quite a few times recently

Quite a few times may have been too much. You lose too many RBC. RBC are required to burn body fat from the use of oxygen. Too much blood donation can slow down fat loss.

Wagner83

There are a lot of foods you can eat while still avoiding high-moderate PUFAs foods, I don't think variety would be an issue .

tara

Soups/broths sound really good. Basically, I can stomach anything hot/liquid-y but nothing solid like meat.
If you have access to a kitchen, you can put a lot of nutrition into hearty soups, esp. if you have a blender. For instance, if your digestion can cope with spuds, they can be used to thicken soups. Someone was blending liver in soup and finding it tasty. If milk agrees with you, chowders can be a way to get sea food. You can blend them if it makes them easier to eat.
Definitely, definitely, definitely. Eating the same foods over and over again is what made me so sick of food that I stopped eating. I should've just eaten regular PUFA-laden food once I realized things weren't working instead of trying to stick it through.
You can eat a wide variety of foods and still not go overboard on the PUFA.
If I were to only implement one of Peat's ideas to change from the diet I used to eat, I think that's the one I'd put at the top - keeping the PUFAs lowish.
Quite a few times may have been too much.
+1
If you are seriously depleted, I'd be wondering whether you have the reserves to spare to recover from frequent donations.

whodathunkit

Yeah, @lampofred, @tara has some really good ideas for making food taste good. And this:

If I were to only implement one of Peat's ideas to change from the diet I used to eat, I think that's the one I'd put at the top - keeping the PUFAs lowish.

My own number one thing, too.

If I get a jones for starchy carbs I often use white rice + Kerry Gold or some other grassfed butter. It's not precisely Peaty but it's low PUFA and occasional white rice has the "Peat stamp of approval" if one must do starch. Beats hell out of processed french fries, and gets you satisfied without entirely ruining what you're trying to do. So, some OJ with that, while it's all still kind of a liver bomb :D, can keep you from going off the rails into processed french fries and coke. White rice being so much easier and less messy to cook than home-made french fries. I usually keep some white rice in fridge for such occasions.

I also do baked potatoes with butter to keep things switched up.

And I do homemade fries in coconut oil occasionally. But it's a PITA and messy so usually opt for the easier alternatives. If I had a cook and a maid I might do it more often, though. LOL

I'm not a starch phobe. I usually eat some daily. Other's mileage may vary. And I may change that because Peat may be right about endotoxin and starch, although so far it hasn't been my experience that I notice a real difference when I'm eating starch v. not eating it. I'm still monitoring my body for changes and mulling things over. Some compelling arguments on this board both for and against starch. Right now I'm in the "for" group.

So I'm not a pure Peatist, although his ideas have informed my "world foodview" to the point that I do consider myself a Peatard. :p

Losing weight requires less fat but when you're trying to kick a junk/processed food/PUFA addiction, the main thing is to choose a better alternative (like white rice and butter) so you don't fall off the wagon entirely. I've about kicked my own crap food addiction using Peat and these strategies, so there's hope. Still working, but I just don't want to eat the same stuff and especially all the sugar I used to. Real progress.

But when you can, lower fat is best.

Also agree with @Westside PUFAs about blood donation. Iron is NOT the enemy. *Too much* iron is, but frequent blood donation without monitoring blood cell counts or without a known hemachromatosis problem probably isn't wise even if you're not in a depleted nutrient state.

Anyway, again, good luck. Let us know how you do. :)

Edited: I also had difficulty with some Peat strategies at first. I think if we're in a bad place metabolically, his favorite things (fruit, gelatin, thyroid, etc.) rev us up too much. Baby steps. Took me a while to be able to tolerate gelatin, for instance...it seemed to exacerbate my gut problems. Gelatin being a prebiotic, not unlike starch. Some bacteria love it. But now I'm seeing benefit from it and believe it's benefited my gut and digestion immensely. So some strategies that don't work at first, it's okay to leave them, try other things, and circle back around later, if you want. I've done a lot of that, with everything (not just Peat) on this journey to optimize my health.

Last edited:
B

Braveheart

Yeah, @lampofred, @tara has some really good ideas for making food taste good. And this:

My own number one thing, too.

If I get a jones for starchy carbs I often use white rice + Kerry Gold or some other grassfed butter. It's not precisely Peaty but it's low PUFA and occasional white rice has the "Peat stamp of approval" if one must do starch. Beats hell out of processed french fries, and gets you satisfied without entirely ruining what you're trying to do. So, some OJ with that, while it's all still kind of a liver bomb :D, can keep you from going off the rails into processed french fries and coke. White rice being so much easier and less messy to cook than home-made french fries. I usually keep some white rice in fridge for such occasions.

I also do baked potatoes with butter to keep things switched up.

And I do homemade fries in coconut oil occasionally. But it's a PITA and messy so usually opt for the easier alternatives. If I had a cook and a maid I might do it more often, though. LOL

I'm not a starch phobe. I usually eat some daily. Other's mileage may vary. And I may change that because Peat may be right about endotoxin and starch, although so far it hasn't been my experience that I notice a real difference when I'm eating starch v. not eating it. I'm still monitoring my body for changes and mulling things over. Some compelling arguments on this board both for and against starch. Right now I'm in the "for" group.

So I'm not a pure Peatist, although his ideas have informed my "world foodview" to the point that I do consider myself a Peatard. :p

Losing weight requires less fat but when you're trying to kick a junk/processed food/PUFA addiction, the main thing is to choose a better alternative (like white rice and butter) so you don't fall off the wagon entirely. I've about kicked my own crap food addiction using Peat and these strategies, so there's hope. Still working, but I just don't want to eat the same stuff and especially all the sugar I used to. Real progress.

But when you can, lower fat is best.

Also agree with @Westside PUFAs about blood donation. Iron is NOT the enemy. *Too much* iron is, but frequent blood donation without monitoring blood cell counts or without a known hemachromatosis problem probably isn't wise even if you're not in a depleted nutrient state.

Anyway, again, good luck. Let us know how you do. :)

Edited: I also had difficulty with some Peat strategies at first. I think if we're in a bad place metabolically, his favorite things (fruit, gelatin, thyroid, etc.) rev us up too much. Baby steps. Took me a while to be able to tolerate gelatin, for instance...it seemed to exacerbate my gut problems. Gelatin being a prebiotic, not unlike starch. Some bacteria love it. But now I'm seeing benefit from it and believe it's benefited my gut and digestion immensely. So some strategies that don't work at first, it's okay to leave them, try other things, and circle back around later, if you want. I've done a lot of that, with everything (not just Peat) on this journey to optimize my health.
Regarding rice...I just jumped off the fence into starch land and very low fat and the stubborn weight is flying off...was kind of pushed off the fence after reading MacDougals' review of Kempner rice diet. Rice pudding (sugar/starch), oj, fruit, skimmed milk (pudding/coffee) and supplements as needed....feeling good.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Note:

@Blinkyrocket was banned permanently for making very disturbing statements towards forum members. Here is an example of one of them:

I want to burn you alive, what is so wrong with screaming I hate you all? Why can't I? Show me the person who hates humanity more than me and I'll kill him so I'll be the one who hates humanity the most.

For some reason, when we switched over to the new forum software, some of the bans did not transfer over and he was allowed back into the system. Yesterday, once I saw he was back, and also mistreating members again, I went ahead and re-applied the permanent ban due to his continued disrespect of the community.

He then goes onto the .org site and says this:

Blinkyrocket:
"Has anyone thought of taking down the website? There's just gotta be some way to get some sweet revenge. Just got banned for the second time for submitting Ray Peat's mistaken generalizations about serotonin. Plus for submitting the possibility that sugar wasn't great and had made me feel bad. I remember other people saying the same thing, but it was probably downplayed or the person was re-educated and their faith redoubled by the proof against it."

As @Constatine mentioned earlier, you are allowed to disagree here, and we welcome that. But you will do it respectfully if you want to continue to participate here.

:hattip

Last edited:
Ur cholesterol should be above 200, prolactin under 5, and D between 50 and 60, pulse and temp is prob off considering thyroid is what allows u to handle sugar

I think I'll stick to my sugar and not wanting to burn people alive

whodathunkit

Regarding rice...I just jumped off the fence into starch land and very low fat and the stubborn weight is flying off...was kind of pushed off the fence after reading MacDougals' review of Kempner rice diet. Rice pudding (sugar/starch), oj, fruit, skimmed milk (pudding/coffee) and supplements as needed....feeling good.
:thumbsup: :D

artemis

Since your blood work shows no problems, you probably haven't been "ruined," just temporarily challenged. I'm sure you'll be fine.

I, on the other hand, HAVE been metabolically ruined by this WOE. I now require daily insulin injections if I want to live.

Arguing about whether sugar is good or bad doesn't get anywhere -- obviously lots of people, most of those on this forum, do great with a high carbohydrate intake. For an unfortunate few, however, people who like me are predisposed to have problems with it for various reasons, it can be a disaster. I had issues with reactive hypoglycemia my whole life, since childhood. I don't know what it was that made me disregard everything I knew about how sugar affected me and go all-in with this diet. It was likely a combination of things, which I have detailed in other posts. I'm trying to move on from the self-flagellating stage of this, but it's hard sometimes.

As I've detailed elsewhere on the forum, it took about 5 months in my case for the metabolic breakdown to fully manifest into diabetes. Eating more sugar, mostly in the form of fruits, didn't seem to have any negative consequences at first, other than maybe sensitive teeth. Looking back now, it was only when I started DRINKING more sugar, in the form of orange juice and occasional cokes/redbull, that the problems really started. I was so stupid that I thought, since my teeth were getting sensitive, I should probably drink any sugary drinks fast, so they wouldn't be in contact with my teeth for too long. Not a good idea. Sofa king stupid.

I'm still trying to understand how this translated into me developing Type 1 diabetes. Obviously when you take in more energy than your body needs, it has to do something with it. Most people will just store it as fat, with the help of insulin. My body did the opposite -- it stopped making insulin. More specifically, my immune system got confused and started attacking and killing my pancreatic beta cells, which make insulin. I recently had this confirmed with a GAD-antibodies test, which came back very positive.

I also wanted to say that I have been communicating privately with a young man from this forum who reached out to me to say that he has had the same experience. He is now Type 1 diabetic, and having such a hard time accepting it. I've encouraged him to put his experience out here on the forum, because I believe it's important for people to learn about what can possibly happen. If I hadn't put my experience out here, he wouldn't have known about it, or been able to contact me. He says he's still just trying to wrap his head around what has happened, and he'll post about it when he's ready. I really hope he does. Here I was thinking maybe it was just me, a 52 year old woman who should have known better, and thinking this diet is probably great for young men.

I hardly ever post, but I do check in occasionally, because I like most of the peeps here, and I have to keep up to date with all of haidut's supplements, because I love them!

whodathunkit

@artemis also makes a good point. The heavy sugar consump really isn't for everyone. Nothing is for everyone. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to know that you're one of the ones who shouldn't do something until you've already tried it, and sometimes even circled back around a few times without success. :(

Xisca

But this diet just has such little variety.

and go back to eating PUFA

I actually strongly think I have bacterial overgrowth.

The last point is easy to feel in the belly, well at least I do, and it surely got worse for me with eating sweeter. With raw honey and adding SFA, butter and coco, I can manage, but still have to deal with this issue.

Balance carbs with sat fat, but I would not introduce PUFA. Only if you eat out, but if you provide your food, you can still choose your fat.
Ok, not the same price, but worth the price if I can say so!

Your diet was not varied and you are going to change this, but Peat do not say to eat only this, he gives examples, and then add what you need and can get, with just staying away from PUFA. Get olive oil if you want oil, but get butter and coconut oil!

Since your blood work shows no problems, you probably haven't been "ruined," just temporarily challenged. I'm sure you'll be fine.

I, on the other hand, HAVE been metabolically ruined by this WOE. I now require daily insulin injections if I want to live.

Arguing about whether sugar is good or bad doesn't get anywhere -- obviously lots of people, most of those on this forum, do great with a high carbohydrate intake. For an unfortunate few, however, people who like me are predisposed to have problems with it for various reasons, it can be a disaster. I had issues with reactive hypoglycemia my whole life, since childhood. I don't know what it was that made me disregard everything I knew about how sugar affected me and go all-in with this diet. It was likely a combination of things, which I have detailed in other posts. I'm trying to move on from the self-flagellating stage of this, but it's hard sometimes.

As I've detailed elsewhere on the forum, it took about 5 months in my case for the metabolic breakdown to fully manifest into diabetes. Eating more sugar, mostly in the form of fruits, didn't seem to have any negative consequences at first, other than maybe sensitive teeth. Looking back now, it was only when I started DRINKING more sugar, in the form of orange juice and occasional cokes/redbull, that the problems really started. I was so stupid that I thought, since my teeth were getting sensitive, I should probably drink any sugary drinks fast, so they wouldn't be in contact with my teeth for too long. Not a good idea. Sofa king stupid.

I'm still trying to understand how this translated into me developing Type 1 diabetes. Obviously when you take in more energy than your body needs, it has to do something with it. Most people will just store it as fat, with the help of insulin. My body did the opposite -- it stopped making insulin. More specifically, my immune system got confused and started attacking and killing my pancreatic beta cells, which make insulin. I recently had this confirmed with a GAD-antibodies test, which came back very positive.

I also wanted to say that I have been communicating privately with a young man from this forum who reached out to me to say that he has had the same experience. He is now Type 1 diabetic, and having such a hard time accepting it. I've encouraged him to put his experience out here on the forum, because I believe it's important for people to learn about what can possibly happen. If I hadn't put my experience out here, he wouldn't have known about it, or been able to contact me. He says he's still just trying to wrap his head around what has happened, and he'll post about it when he's ready. I really hope he does. Here I was thinking maybe it was just me, a 52 year old woman who should have known better, and thinking this diet is probably great for young men.

I hardly ever post, but I do check in occasionally, because I like most of the peeps here, and I have to keep up to date with all of haidut's supplements, because I love them!

That sucks... if you keep experimenting though I'd like to read your log if you keep one.

Diokine

I don't think it's constructive to blame the sugar in any case - the problem is inflammation. Chronic inflammation will result in chronic excitation which without proper therapy will cause a cascade of dis-ease. Inflammation will block the utilization of sugar, and the spectrum of temporal-metabolic processes that rely on a highly potentiated "sensitive" state (re; alive,) offered by proper sugar metabolism, will be progressively attenuated. Increasing dysregulation of cortisol and circadian rhythms, manifesting in chronic nervous tension and nervous system imbalance will lead to the disruption of entire temporal-metabolic "bands." The entire metabolic ebb-and-flow will be choked at several major points. This will manifest in several ways, one of which is a reduction in Glutamic-acid decarboxylase (GAD.) In certain cases severe disruption to the timing system, for example from viral interference, can cause vacancies in the patterns that encode the GAD enzyme. This can trigger an immune response and generation of antibodies to the GAD cascade.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals