Freely Eating Sugar Ruined Me

Xisca

How many grams of protein is recommended? A meal or day? I really don't eat a lot of meat myself. Uncontrollable desire to have bacon with breakfast. I cut back for 4 to 5 pieces to just 2. I simmer it on water first and drain it, then cook it to crispy and blot it. Always organic without nitrates or nitrites. Munch on fresh fruit most of the day, grapefruit, grapes, blueberries, pineapple and watermelon. The only refined sugar I have is in my coffee in the morning, 1 and a half teaspoons and once in a while in a Hershey bar. Other than that it's all fruits.
I do the same, but I eat more meat. If I read Peat well, we need a lot of proteins with the sugar part of the diet.
And also I eat fresh cheese. Raw organic and goat. Eggs and coconut and butter. Fish and shell fish when I can get them.

How many grams of protein is recommended? A meal or day? I really don't eat a lot of meat myself. Uncontrollable desire to have bacon with breakfast. I cut back for 4 to 5 pieces to just 2. I simmer it on water first and drain it, then cook it to crispy and blot it. Always organic without nitrates or nitrites. Munch on fresh fruit most of the day, grapefruit, grapes, blueberries, pineapple and watermelon. The only refined sugar I have is in my coffee in the morning, 1 and a half teaspoons and once in a while in a Hershey bar. Other than that it's all fruits.

Sounds pretty ideal. Ray Peat likes to recommend about 100 grams protein and no less than 80, but fruit has lots of hidden protein as well. He says that too much grapefruit can slow the liver, though. I might try that water technique for the bacon :shock:

Xisca

I'm so sorry about your situation... I remember reading your "did I diabetes myself" thread when my blood sugar first skyrocketed when I began following Peat. I definitely agree that everybody's body is different and that sucrose might not be ideal for everybody even though Peat thinks it is a quality source of calories overall.
You had already posted early this year, as I had anwered this
Maybe you have eaten too much for a while, so your body reacts!
My experience is that I can take only very Little sweet stuff at a time, and reapeat more often.
then the thread stopped to be answered.
For me, the real problem with sugar is about having too much at a time. Then the problem is to eat often, and then to control this within our daily lives, without being obsesssed that we are hungry again! That is very cool when you can eat 3 times per day and be fine and have time to think about something else!

Xisca

There are several studies comparing digestibility from raw versus cooked egg, concluding raw egg protein tends to be less absorbed.
I think it is for the white.

tara

There are several studies comparing digestibility from raw versus cooked egg, concluding raw egg protein tends to be less absorbed.
I think it is for the white.
I thought it was that the yolk was easier digested raw and white easier digested cooked? Doesn't raw white potentially contribute to biotin deficiency or something?
I figured soft-boiled or soft-poached or sunny-side-up are ideal and taste good.

Xisca

I thought it was that the yolk was easier digested raw and white easier digested cooked? Doesn't raw white potentially contribute to biotin deficiency or something?
I figured soft-boiled or soft-poached or sunny-side-up are ideal and taste good.
yes that's what I meant.
About biotine, I think it need a tremendous amount of raw white.

tara

@lampofred
If you've been eating less than 1000 cals, gradually increase the quantity by ~200 cals every 2-3 days.
Also wise to let yr dr know yowhat you are doing so they can supervise your refeeding efforts. And let someone who is in regular daily contact with you know what you are doing so they can look out if you are struggling. There is such a thing as refeeding syndrome - it's fairly rare, treatable if addressed quickly, but dangerous if it's not treated quickly. I think it involves electrolytes getting badly out of balance, and swelling - you could read up on it. If htat happens you need medical help quickly

Please build it slow! And mix your stach with fat sat and well cooked veg, fruit veg are best digested like squash family.
It is about metabolism, yes, but 1st comes digestion!
And adaptation is a process you cannot speed up, so the best is to listen to your body, remembering that any excess will make a pendulum effect.
Good points about including some sat fat, cooking veges well, and trying the more easily digested veges first, and listening to your body.
If anything gives you really bad reactions you may need to back off a bit. But not necessarily for ever or for long - gradually introduce more foods as you can.

Gained 25 pounds
-Lost muscle, gained a massive amount of stomach fat, now have a double-chin
I can't remember if you said whether you were particularly thin or round to begin with. I think you had been undereating long-term -maybe you were underweight to begin with? If so, gaining some weight may be hard to avoid as part of recovery, though it would be good to not lose any muscle or other lean organ tissue.

I mentioned 3500 cals as normal for a man your age, but there are different PoV about whether it makes sense to go straight up to such amounts (Gwyneth Olwyn's advice Phases of Recovery From An Eating Disorder Part 4) or whether to take it more gradually in step with improving metabolism.

Drareg

There are so many problems with Peat's ideas that it is time someone to make a summary of his wrong ideas and post them on popular sites to prevent further damage for many people.
The sugar idea is so stupid that i can't believe someone with decades of experience can say it - the whole idea of speeding the thyroid with carbs is BS - the thyroid is about minerals - if you are missing some of the minerals /vitamins needed for thyroid the more carbs you eat the worse the deficiency will be. Fruits are also bad but they at least have some nutrient unlike sugar. Mr Peats claims about pufas are also not correct - pufas only lead to selenium deficiency because when you make oil from corn /or when the soil where corn was grown is deficient/ you leave the selenium in the corn and take only oil, also raw pufas are not the same as heated pufas - eskimos eat pufas but they were mostly raw - it is not the same as cooking with canola oil. It is similar with so called goitrogens - they just lead to iodine deficiency - just eat them away from iodine containing foods and you will be fine. All these people reading this forum 99% have low HCL and are protein deficient so they should eat raw eggs and raw milk but mr Peat never tells them to do it because he have no idea that raw eggs dont need enzymes for digestion - just check review under any site selling HCL supplements - you will see people cured from many deseases - something you rarely see here.

Yeeeeeeees,yaaaaaaaas,yeeeeeeeeess,tell these fools!!!!!
HCL and infectious disease are the cause of ALL,EVERYTHING you FOOOOOOOLS.
(Check out my blog,like,subscribe and give donations,I can't be employed as I'm a constrained genius nobody gets)

artemis

I'm so sorry about your situation... I remember reading your "did I diabetes myself" thread when my blood sugar first skyrocketed when I began following Peat. I definitely agree that everybody's body is different and that sucrose might not be ideal for everybody even though Peat thinks it is a quality source of calories overall.

No, that wasn't my thread. This was my thread:
6 Months Into Peating, I Get Diabetes

Xisca

"Both approaches—raw (fruit based) or cooked (starch based)—work beautifully to ensure that blood glucose remains at a steady, healthy level … as long as you keep your fat consumption healthfully low."
From : http://mindfuldiabetic.com/diabetic-food-inventory-250-pounds-of-fruit/

"I’ve been immersed in the world of low-fat, whole-food nutrition since 2006. I want people to know that anyone can afford to incorporate low-fat, plant-based eating into their lives. If you cannot find fruit that satisfies you, or you’re on a strict budget, it’s important to know about how cheap a whole-food, plant-based diet can be, no matter where you live. The key is to base your meals around starchy foods (potatoes/sweet potatoes, grains, beans/legumes, roots, and starchy vegetables).
Below are two articles from Forks Over Knives that illustrate how affordably you can thrive on a starch-based approach to health. Forks Over Knives is a fabulous resource for education, inspiration, recipes, and much more. I’ve spent the last 5+ years working on the Forks Over Knives team, and I’m really proud of the content on its website."

The author is T1D

artemis

"Both approaches—raw (fruit based) or cooked (starch based)—work beautifully to ensure that blood glucose remains at a steady, healthy level … as long as you keep your fat consumption healthfully low."
From : http://mindfuldiabetic.com/diabetic-food-inventory-250-pounds-of-fruit/

"I’ve been immersed in the world of low-fat, whole-food nutrition since 2006. I want people to know that anyone can afford to incorporate low-fat, plant-based eating into their lives. If you cannot find fruit that satisfies you, or you’re on a strict budget, it’s important to know about how cheap a whole-food, plant-based diet can be, no matter where you live. The key is to base your meals around starchy foods (potatoes/sweet potatoes, grains, beans/legumes, roots, and starchy vegetables).
Below are two articles from Forks Over Knives that illustrate how affordably you can thrive on a starch-based approach to health. Forks Over Knives is a fabulous resource for education, inspiration, recipes, and much more. I’ve spent the last 5+ years working on the Forks Over Knives team, and I’m really proud of the content on its website."

The author is T1D

There are lots of examples out there of people who thrive on a high carb diet. I tried it myself for a long time, including under the supervision of a naturopath who recommended that way of eating. My blood sugar just went up and up and up. I ignored it for a long time, until I spent awhile in diabetic ketoacidosis and ended up in the hospital. Should I have given it more time? I don't know. All I know is, in the end I had to do what worked for me, to get some kind of control over my blood glucose, and that meant switching back to a low carb diet, which has really always worked best for me. I really wanted the RP diet to work -- I gave high carbohydrate eating a good year and a half before I threw in the towel. No diet or way of eating is right for everybody.

I do agree that it's much cheaper to eat high starch/carb. I spend a fortune on groceries!

Xisca

Yeah, I noted this problem in another thread, saying that the problem, when something does not work from the start, is to guess if we have to do more of the same, or change.

I was surprised by this statement of high carb with no fat, but this man who has DT1 is still on insuline, but they seem to have better results on T2.
So, sugar either saves you or kills you!

This website does not explain why it works, and even their page of transition tips is quite empty.

J

James IV

The more sunshine and exercise you get, the more carbohydrate you can utilize. A high carb (low fat) diet combined with a typical modern lifestyle, will likely make you sick. If most of those carbs are refined and of low nutritional quality, things will be even worse.

EIRE24

The more sunshine and exercise you get, the more carbohydrate you can utilize. A high carb (low fat) diet combined with a typical modern lifestyle, will likely make you sick. If most of those carbs are refined and of low nutritional quality, things will be even worse.
So you would advise?

Xhale1991

Solid Evidence That Stress Causes Obesity

Your case----"Excess cortisol does not cause overeating, quite to the contrary - it is well known and undisputed that cortisol suppresses appetite because it raises blood sugar. Cortisol does lower metabolism and also raises estrogen. In addition, cortisol suppresses gonadal function, neurosteroid synthesis, and atrophies muscle tissue (which is the primary factor in RMR)."

And cortisol is main driver in craving junk highly palatable foods.

It raises blood sugar so it may be that you were really missing proteins.

I also had issues with table sugar until I upped my protein intake to close to 200 g . Were u eating meat and liver?
What meat are you guys eating? I thought Peat discouraged eating meat. Is steak acceptable? I cant get shellfish where I live and beef/chicken/pork is my only choice. If I dont eat meat I can't get enough protein in as too much dairy bothers my stomach.

Xisca

I thought Peat discouraged eating meat.
No, he says to maintain a correct ratio between meat and gelatine, by not eating only muscles.
Less meat and more gelatine when you age.
If you cannot get bones for gelatinous soup, or ox tail, you can boil your chicken, cut the meat and reboil the skin and bones, and you will see how the broth looks like after a night in the fridge! Thick.
Pork? Get a foot and boil it.
If you realy lack material for this, buy gelatine and use it as an addition to your muscle meat meals.
By far, the cheapest is to find cheap bits and bones for making your own.
Look for paleo recipes, then are fond of gelatine too!

I enjoy the soups with well cooked veggies, warm, and also cold as a sort of paté. The same but with a different taste. Cold is easy as a take away food too.

tara