Fragrance Chemicals vs. Smoking second hand smoke?

I’m wondering if anyone has any studies or info. on comparing fabric softener chemicals, and the like to second hand smoke. My neighbors are killing me. I live in a condo and would like to have this banned. … I know, “good luck with that.”

Comstock

Fabric softener is probably deadly, imo. Hard to find data. One thing I would consider doing is giving them a gift of wool dryer balls, and see if they use that.

HeyThere

I have chemical sensitivity and can smell the toxic garbage underneath the toxic scents.

The toxic ingredients are hidden under "proprietary ingredients".

Find the documentary called "STINK!". It's about a father whose wife dies of cancer. One Xmas soon after, his daughters are opening presents of PJs and complain of the stench coming out of the bags. He gets the PJs lab tested, and the whole wormhole is exposed.

OP
F
Fabric softener is probably deadly, imo. Hard to find data. One thing I would consider doing is giving them a gift of wool dryer balls, and see if they use that.
I live in a condo where we inhale it from dryer vents if we sit on our deck or walk to the car. I would like to see them banned.

Don

LOVE THIS POST ! I live on 1/2 acre lot with giant trees everywhere but when my damn neighbours run their dryer i cant go outside my own house. Its so disgusting these products should be illegal ! thanks for letting me rant.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
I use 6 wool dryer balls. They work quite well and last several years. Your towels will not be quite as soft, but they will actually be more absorbent. As for your condo, can you ask your HOA to present the issue at the next meeting - have some good eco-bullet points on why dryer sheets should not be used.

I don't think the liquid softeners used in the washer are as objectionable, but you might ask your neighbors.

Don

I use 6 wool dryer balls. They work quite well and last several years. Your towels will not be quite as soft, but they will actually be more absorbent. As for your condo, can you ask your HOA to present the issue at the next meeting - have some good eco-bullet points on why dryer sheets should not be used.

I don't think the liquid softeners used in the washer are as objectionable, but you might ask your neighbors.
I dont think its the products you mention that is the issue. Its the new scent balls or beads they use. They are brutal. I can smell them on second hand clothes and towels and sometime they need 2-5 trips through the washing machine before the smell is mostly gone.

HeyThere

I dont think its the products you mention that is the issue. Its the new scent balls or beads they use. They are brutal. I can smell them on second hand clothes and towels and sometime they need 2-5 trips through the washing machine before the smell is mostly gone.

It's almost all scented things. No matter the application. Rare that scents are not toxic.

AlaskaJono

I’m wondering if anyone has any studies or info. on comparing fabric softener chemicals, and the like to second hand smoke. My neighbors are killing me. I live in a condo and would like to have this banned. … I know, “good luck with that.”
Yeah, we feel ya... just in a small apt block for 3 weeks, and the smells, from sh*t incense to burning sh*t oils in the apt below. Disgusting. Most of the smelly chemically stuff is way bad for you, as in the C******* word. Phathalates..... . I choose to move away from this stuff, so live as rural as you need. Otherwise, noises, water treatment, EMF, etc.. . good luck on your mission.

NikT

Cant give you a comparason as the reality is both ciggaretes and fabric softner have a multitude of chemical fragrance, but in my experience the fabric softner/detergants are much worse. Try to write a letter, explaining your sensitivity and also offer them some alternative ways of keeping their stuff clean(cleaning soda) but for softness, i couldnt tell you. I blame low quality clothing for needing softners, because some clothes I've bought sstay soft without using that , in the end if they listen it's probably gonna save them money too along with a healthier enviroment. Call to their door and be polite, hand them the letter and say its in good faith. Most people dont like straight up face to face confrontation so a letter works better. If they dont respond or try to reason it's time to leave for a new location.. Best of luck

HeyThere

For massive softness just use cheap powdered Borax. It's non scented and works amazingly well so use very little! I bought it to use a teeny pinch in my neti pot when I had a horrible sinus infection then used some in my wash.. wow does it soften.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals