Overweight early diabetic needs hand holding

saucychick56

History: 50 year old hypothyroid female who has been on thyroid meds and a diet for 30 years and is now 80 lbs over weight. (birth control pills from age 16 to 38 - then was infertile- I know you are all shocked by this news!)Atkins low carb diet for many years. Gluten free for a couple. Last big weight gain came on after HCG diet (growth hormone injections + 500 calorie diet). I lost 30 pounds (needed to lose 50) but quit smoking and then gained 60!! Now weigh 221 lbs at 5'3". Body fat percentage 20 pounds ago was a whopping 42% (that was after 3 months of eating less and exercising more!)

Went through early menopause, (another shocker :shock: ) and 2.5 years ago got on estrogen, testosterone, and progesterone to combat hair loss, incessant crying, hot flashes and all that fun stuff. A year later got a blood glucose test high enough (126 fasting and A1C of 5.7) that the doc put me on metformin. Got hideous diarrhea - quit metformin after 4 months.
Followed Dr. Bernstein's low carb diet and supplements. Managed to "control" glucose with Berberine, Alpha lipoic Acid, Evening Primrose oil and cinnamon extract. But investigation into Dawn Phenomenon (would go to bed with 118 BG and wake up with 135 BG) led me all over the place. Found Peat stuff last year (through Matt Stone) but guess I didn't do it well enough (or wasn't patient enough - or was still on the hormones and the PUFAS) and got scared by soaring BG numbers and weight gain.

Laying the blame of bad glucose numbers on estrogen, stopped all hormones. Back to hot flashes. Investigated diets again - hell bent against becoming a vegetarian/vegan al la Furman, but also scared off paleo/primal/low carbs after reading so much about induced insulin resistance. Followed anti-inflammatory diet recommendations.
Lost 10 pounds on The Plan (low carb low protein high veggies)

Really got interested in probiotics, microbiome, and gut flora as it related to weight gain and health. Contemplating how that may relate to Peat's info on starches and endotoxin and such.

Currently on Levothyroxine and timed release (I think its just enteric coated) Cytomel.

Really started trying to follow Peat WOE three weeks ago. Gained back my 10 pounds (up to 221 now) Getting disapproving looks from everyone (the eat less and exercise more camp) at the sugary milky coffee, and flan! (I love flan!) and chocolate and OJ and cheese I'm eating.

Temps are getting good 98.8. Blood pressure still low. Pulse - I need to work on consistent readings but overall mostly still low (75 at bedtime last night and 68 this morning.)
Over the last year have been using coconut oil, butter, and olive oil. (until 2 weeks ago was still going out enough and eating chicken enough to set back any gains against PUFAS.)
Been doing the sweetened and !@#$%^ expensive :x raw milk (last batch was $12.00 a gallon!!!) Simply Orange juice goes through me like Drain-o. Fresh Squeezed less if I Baking soda it. I did that today and I didnt hear it going through me. But still gives me gas and soars my glucose numbers.

After reading more about magnesium stearate, I stopped taking my Alpha lipoic acid, cinnamon extract and Berberine today and am now staring at highest blood sugar readings ever (hovered around 150 all day and is now 220mg/DL) after a homemade liver pate and masa harina chip and cantaloupe dinner 4 hours ago.

Hand Holding section:
So I'm freaking out over these high BG readings :!: . I have only seen one person (saul42) who is an actual diabetic and on this plan. Are there more of you out there? How long does it take for these numbers to turn around? Since the supplements seemed to help keep BG numbers lower should I search out ones that might not have magnesium stearate? Does anyone actually lose weight on this plan? Or are you all hard core ex paleo cross fit skinnies trying to actually GAIN?

kiran

According to RP, I believe timed release cytomel can have erratic results and sometimes not even absorbed, might want to switch to plain cytomel.

Perhaps you want to switch to 1% milk, especially if you want to lose weight.

Magnesium stearate isn't nearly the worst additive out there, fyi.

Since you've read about about the dawn phenomenon, you should also read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_Somogyi_rebound

Just realize that high blood sugar is generally a response to stress. You need carbs to offset things like liver, egg etc, any protein generally.
Basically eating liver (for example) will drive blood glucose down and the resulting stress drives it up higher...

Are you getting enough calcium?

Might want to get these blood tests as well: http://www.dannyroddy.com/coaching/

This is a good read too: http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/diabetes.shtml

These are just some thoughts, YMMV.

J

j.

What's wrong with magnesium stearate? Peat considers it one of the safest.

OP
S

saucychick56

@ Kiran ty :)

Seems to be derived from GMO Cottonseed oil, might be implicated in making leaky gut worse.

Pennikins

Saucychick56
I want some hand holding too!

I have been having similar to you. Diagnosed pre-diabetic in 2001, I did that low carb/paleo stuff too, until I got sick and tired of being cold, tired etc. Then I found Matt Stone. I've warmed up from the upper 95's to now 98 -99 most days.

But increasing food - my BG - especially that Fasting BG has been high since I started eating more. Except for an occasional 120-125 most mornings my BG is 150. YIKES! Latest A1C 6.3 down from 1 year ago 6.9 before I started Matt Stones suggestions. But my AM fasting BG has been getting worse.

So, I too, would like to know if there are other Type 2 Diabetics that do not take any medicine - no insulin no nothing except vitamins, minerals etc, that are doing 'Peat'. Who are you? Where are you?

I want to succeed in getting this blood sugar issue under control.

Specifics would be great. Like what you are eating/drinking - time frames - amounts etc.

Thanks to anyone that can give more 'details'.

~Penny

OP
S

saucychick56

My latest observation is GRAINS are bad for BG. I can have potato, baked or mashed with butter, with minimal BG increase. Have corn chips, bread, stuff I make myself (from SCRATCH mind you!) and the BG goes way up (200) and stays up for a few days. Having just sugar seems okay, I stay around 130 all day with my milk and sugar. OJ MUST be early in the day, with baking soda and only about 8-10 ounces with my eggs. Spelt white bread seems like I can have without too much trouble. Really have a lot of diarrhea with cheese and fruit. Taking bentonite clay every day to help with that (per uniquehealing.com).

My temps are good, pulse is good, but I sure would like to L O S E weight, since its hard to tell people how healthy this way of eating is when I'm still looking like a fatty :?
I am still suffering with food allergies with coffee, some chocolates, fruits. Feel okay, just want some damn crunch that isn't pork rinds! I'm pretty convinced Ray is a bachelor and doesn't care for complicated food cuz this diet is B O R I N G me to tears LOL! I do enjoy my crème brulee and thinking about taking on a cheese soufflé. (and liver pate is the bomb for those of you who really hate liver)

burtlancast

Let me get this straight: you tried all these diet plans without success, yet somehow never got around to the Gerson therapy ?

Everybody knows one of it's strongest points is to cure type 2 diabetes in about 6 weeks. In only a few days, blood glucose levels normalize. Body weight is normalized too.

Just skip the flaxseed oil.

OP
S

saucychick56

I read about Gerson, but the juice fasts and coffee enemas scared the crap outta me (pun intended). I was looking for a way to NOT be a juicing raw vegan. Plenty of juicing/vegan diets claim to "cure" diabetes, but it's not a cure. And it then makes you even MORE insulin resistant. And it is metabolically destructive in the long term. Isn't that the whole argument of Dr Peat?

joyfuljess

Hi saucychick56,

I noticed that you said you wanted some "crunch" in your diet that isn't pork rinds. I just wanted to recommend some organic potato chips that are fried in coconut oil. The brand is Jackson's Honest Potato Chips. They are superb! Hope this helps and good luck!

burtlancast

saucychick56 said:
Plenty of juicing/vegan diets claim to "cure" diabetes, but it's not a cure.

I find it curious you would know all the details about paleo diet, Atkins diet, Dr Bernstein's diet, Furma, probiotics...
..none of which claims to be able to definitely cure type 2 diabetes.
Then you use your failures to put the Gerson diet in the same company ?

What kind of reasoning is that ?