For How Long Does A Sunbathing Session Last?

IWishIWasRich

I was on a vacation recently after having been a shutting nerd for the entire year, im back at being a shutting nerd, I want to see my vitamin D levels during shutting nerd mode before I start seeing the sun more often, I want to see how low my levels are with my current unhealthy routine.

So how many days does it take for the vitamin D to go back down?

Once I get the bloodwork done testing vitamin d Oh25 and 1,25 hidroxy (you need both to see really whats going on) I will start taking 15 minutes of unprotected sun in the gym after the pool, im from spain so I have mediterranean genes, I don't see 15 minutes being a problem without cream?

Anyway please tell me, how many days do I have to wait to get the bloodwork?

I will get a bloodwork a month from now again after i start sunbathing every 3 days.

Cirion

Not dead, just didn't think like I could answer intelligently enough, I have no idea the disposal/accrual rate of vitamin D in the body but I am sure there have been studies on this. @Amazoniac might have the answer, he's like the resident expert on a lot of things lately.

But I can say how long you tolerate the sun is basically dependent upon a couple of factors--how much tolerance you have built up, how intense the UV index is that day, and how low your bodily fat stores are, more specifically, PUFA fat stores. Genes might play a factor too maybe, as well as how dark your skin, but in general even white people should be able to build a solid tolerance up.

mrchibbs

Personally I go for 15-20 minutes max in the early afternoon, or more in the late afternoon, when there's less UVB and less potential for damage.

However, here is a cautionary tale.

If you haven't been exposed to the sun consistently for several years you should be careful about going all in, and your tissues are saturated with PUFAs, iron and maybe if you've gained weight, estrogen is also very present in adipose tissues. UVB interacts with all those factors and the inflammation/burn it causes can create age pigments in the skin rather easily.

In the past year I've started sunbathing more than I have in more than 5 years, and I've accumulated a lot of sun spots (age pigment) from it. 10 years ago when I was a teenager, I would stay in the sun all day and never get a single spot on my skin. This past year I've exposed almost my full body, including inner thighs which had not seen a lot of sun and developed several spots there.

Coconut oil I think will help counteract some of the effects of the UVB. If you have a pool, having a quick dip in the water can help prevent burning.

My point is don't avoid the sun, it's probably the single most healing factor there is, but watch out how your skin reacts, and use coconut oil topically after sunbathing. Ray has mentioned a couple times. that rabbits fed coconut oil were virtually immune to sun damage whereas those fed corn oil quickly developed age pigment and other issues. While your tissues still have a lot of PUFAs, sunshine can cause more damage than usual.

tygertgr

You're over thinking this. Unless you are super different from me and everyone else I know, you should be able to feel when you're starting to burn or you've had too much sun and you need to get out of it. Below that point, the more the better.

OP
I

IWishIWasRich

Personally I go for 15-20 minutes max in the early afternoon, or more in the late afternoon, when there's less UVB and less potential for damage.

If you haven't been exposed to the sun consistently for several years you should be careful about going all in, and your tissues are saturated with PUFAs, iron and maybe if you've gained weight, estrogen is also very present in adipose tissues. UVB interacts with all those factors and the inflammation/burn it causes can create age pigments in the skin rather easily.

In the past year I've started sunbathing more than I have in more than 5 years, and I've accumulated a lot of sun spots (age pigment) from it. 10 years ago when I was a teenager, I would stay in the sun all day and never get a single spot on my skin. This past year I've exposed almost my full body, including inner thighs which had not seen a lot of sun and developed several spots there.

Coconut oil I think will help counteract some of the effects of the UVB. If you have a pool, having a quick dip in the water can help prevent burning.

My point is don't avoid the sun, it's probably the single most healing factor there is, but watch out how your skin reacts, and use coconut oil topically after sunbathing. Ray has mentioned a couple times. that rabbits fed coconut oil were virtually immune to sun damage whereas those fed corn oil quickly developed age pigment and other issues. While your tissues still have a lot of PUFAs, sunshine can cause more damage than usual.

My bodyfat is low. I live in madrid spain right, which is sunny. You reckon 15-20 to be enough and safe in 1 PM or so? My phenotype is dark haired. When I was a kid I also used to be in the sun all day, then due office job I've spent years without sunbathing. My bloodwork came back and both OH25 and 1,25 markers were on the lower side, so yeah, seems evident diet is not enough and i need to start sunbathing then repeat the test. Is 3 days a week enough?

I want to do this for a month or so and repeat the test.

What worries me is that I have a pretty big mole on my belly button of all areas. I dont remember when I had this but I reckon this has been here for most of my life, but it's a pretty big one compared to the rest of the moles I have, and im worried that exposing it to the sun can make it cancerous or something.

For the skin ive got aloe vera with q10, and some aloe vera combos with rosehip oil and argan oil. I will apply those when i get back home from sunbathing, just for hydration, i think it would help.

I was also considering suncreen for the face to not prematurely age the face... is there any peat approved sunscreens or soemthing?

Arnold Grape

These are good points: anecdotally, I can say that my tolerance for sun exposure has increased over the last several years, but also over the summer. I can virtually hang out in the sun all day with little sun screen and feel only the pleasant tingling of tiredness by day’s end.

Conversely, my gf whose diet is less rigorous than mine has developed sun spots on her face, which has been remedied by Tocovit Vitamin e oil applied directly to the area. In fact, I am amazed by how repeated applications of this is have reduced her ill effects from sun exposure. I have considered buying a bottle to use as moisturizer for that effect alone.

My last comment involving extended sun exposure is to keep calories up, as ime it will increase the need for sugar. It’s handy (and probably completely intuitive) to keep a sweet drink around. I will be reaching for a cool lemonade. But not for much longer: summer is ending where I live.

Amazoniac

How long it lasts will depend (among other things) on what you judge to be an adequate level. Raj has been recommending to keep it high, it's expected to decline faster in this case. If you want to avoid hospitalization, the frequency will have to increase.
upload_2020-2-7_20-42-27.png

Last edited:

laleto12

i've done 1 hour a day nearly all summer (4 months) at high peak UV this year. Without 0 burning. But my bloodwork came 21.40 ng/ml last week. LOL

i dont use cream ever btw. im 20 years old

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals