Tanning increases melanin, which increases estrogen, which increases serotonin?

Daniel North

Forum Supporter
I just came home from a vacation in Spain, and both me and my GF has had the worst(!) symptoms at the end of the vacation. Extreme bloating no matter what we ate. Unlike when i have been bloated previously this time there was almost no farting.
I had extremely high water retention in my "love handles". They were so full of water that i couldn't lean to the sides without them getting super tight. As if they were about to burst! Like a super tight sausage ready to burst.

We were tanning 2-5 hours every day in the middle of the day with UV-index of 11 at the highest and without suncream. My Dminder app told me i got somewhere around 20k+ UI vitamin per day. FYI: we didn't get sunburned. We had used melanotan before we left for the holiday, to both be able to get tan enough to not get sunburned and to get very tan, and lots of vitamin D. Because i thought tanning and vitamin D was healthy. I understand that the melanotan may not be healthy.

But now, after reading this, i am asking myself if the combination of Melanotan and lots of tanning for a week was the cause of this bloating and water retention? I am writing this the day after getting home, and everything is better today. I have taken high doses of vitamin E (didn't bring it to spain) and the first doses of Androsterone from @haidut. Feeling much better. Edit: it seems enough androsterone is responsible for getting rid of the trembling/shaking. But i have to take around 10-15 mg of it during the day to keep it away.

In Spain, i also started to get micro shaking/trembling in my fingers. Never ever had that symptom before. Super weird and scary. I woke up today with this symptom still being there, but after the vitamin E and androsterone it is almost gone. Is micro shaking/trembling in fingers a high estrogen symptom?

Down in Spain (we are from Scandinavia) i tried what i had with me to maybe fix the symptoms, although i didn't know then what caused it. Never experienced these symptoms before. I tried 3 topped teaspoons of salt. Didnt work. I tried desiccated liver capsules that i had brought with me. Didnt work. I tried 500mg niacin. Didnt work (maybe if i had tried 1000+mg?)
Sun exposure increases production of melanin thereby increasing estrogen in the process
I'm blown away by thiso_O For how much and how long should we humans tan?

Why does melanin increase estrogen? Should we humans not get tan? How to prevent increased estrogen after being in the sun?

"...An increase in MSH will cause darker skin in humans too. MSH increases in humans during pregnancy. This, along with increased estrogens, causes increased pigmentation in pregnant women.
This is what melanotan does. Mimick MSH. So melanotan increases "production of melanin thereby increasing estrogen in the process"?
Mind blown. Should humans just not tan that much?

I always thought that vitamin D from the sun lowers estrogen.
Me too

Is adequate vitamin D good, but excessive melanin bad?

Also, sunlight and its UV portion is only dangerous when there is a lot of tissue PUFA, and in that case taking aspirin/niacinamide before going into the sun should mitigate the damage.
Does melanin increase estrogen regardless of how much PUFA is in the body?

I stopped eating PUFA several years ago. Also stopped getting sunburned after that.

Last edited:

youngsinatra

I have read that sunlight increases biliary secretion and excretion. That is the main mechanism how estrogen gets excreted from the liver, through the bile, and finally eliminated with a bowel movement. (in the best case scenario)

So sunlight might help the detoxification of estrogen through the liver. But we have enterohepatic circulation (95% of bile gets reabsorbed) and possibly a lot of that dumped estrogen got re-absorbed and caused a high estrogen rebound.

Have you tried a binder like activated charcoal or more fiber?

Have you noticed a difference in your stool? (stool colour, consistency)

OP
D

Daniel North

Forum Supporter
I'm going now to buy some activated charcoal and test it.

We did also try to eat 1-2 carrots a day down there, but it didn't seem to help. Or maybe it DID help, and the symptoms would have been even worse without the carrots? Idk.

Miggie

Did you use melanotan during your vacation? did you inject it? Because melanotan is known to upset digestion. I usually make it into a nose spray, its less potent that way however you wont get the digestion issues like that.

OP
D

Daniel North

Forum Supporter
Yes, injection. I used it for a month prior to the week in Spain. Didn't use it in Spain.
Never had any digestion issues while using it, until the week in Spain.

Dapose

Forum Supporter
We’re you taking Niacin the whole trip?
You should never take niacin.
You should take niacinamide.
Niacin could definitely cause some of your symptoms.
I think.
Look into that.
I work outside for over a decade and never wear sunscreen. I never burn and I’m Swiss ancestry. I drink lots of sweat milky coffee and OJ when working.
Before I did bio-energetic ideas I used to get very orange tan in the summer! Which I think Peat said was not good! Maybe a vitamin A issue or beta carotene problem!
This year my tan is a nice brown!
I love tanning!
It fees so good to lay in the sun at noon!!!

OP
D

Daniel North

Forum Supporter
No, not the whole trip.
I have taken niacin plenty of times before. Over longer timeframes and in much higher doses. Never been a problem like this ever before. I don't think the niacin is the culprit here.

Samurai Drive

Bunch of divs. Uv at highest noon. U took malonin.
U got high estrogen
Simple.
U can as much niacin and carrots up ur arse as u want.

Dapose

Forum Supporter

Niacin + higher sun exposure.
Causing issues? Seems a no brained to me.

OP
D

Daniel North

Forum Supporter

Niacin + higher sun exposure.
Causing issues? Seems a no brained to me.
Does this show any link between niacin and extreme bloating?

Bunch of divs. Uv at highest noon. U took malonin.
U got high estrogen
Simple.
U can as much niacin and carrots up ur arse as u want.
I dont quite understand. Could you rephrase this?

Samurai Drive

Does this show any link between niacin and extreme bloating?

I dont quite understand. Could you rephrase this?
Sorry was being rude. I think strong uv can make u produce estrogen. Even if ur not burnt.
I take sun up to 11am then after 3pm. More red light less uv.

Last edited:

Sphagnum

I don’t have any insight into your proposed estrogen and bloating hypothesis, but I’ll add something else for you now that you’re home. Having more melanin in the skin generally means less vitamin D production for the same amount of UVB exposure. So if you’re back north in Scandinavia now and still tan, make sure you spend some extra time in the sun each day to keep your D levels up (I’m assuming you track this based on the app you said you used in Spain.)

Samurai Drive

@Samurai Drive Ah, i understand. Can you maybe remember where you read this, or could you point me in the direction where i could find more reading material about this?:)

@Sphagnum Thank you:) Yes, i am tracking
Ray would talk about light spectrum. The higher the sun in the sky the higher the uv. Uv, blue light in isolation stresses,damages cells, when surrounded by enough red light its safer. Mid day has the most vit d so to speak but is risky.
When I have overdone mid day sun then even if I'm not burned I tend to get bad stress symtoms later, turn cold feel off.
Ray speaks about light spectrum, I'm sure there's some threads on the forum.

Marmot

I would say that its melanotan that cause The estrogen like symptoms. I know i have seen something in a study before, but also from my own observations from myself and others who have used it. Jag själv lägger på mig massa vätska när jag använder det, speciellt i ansiktet😅.

Sevaan

Having lived in Portugal for most of my life, I have always chased the sun.

Only after I started "Peating" 3 years ago did I begin to realize that there is such a thing as "too much sun exposure", and that the threshold is far lower than I could have ever imagined.

Now, during the summer months, I entirely avoid the sun at least 2:30 hours before and after the solar noon (which is around 1:30PM).

Failure to do so always results in total insomnia that night.

Hesperian

Having lived in Portugal for most of my life, I have always chased the sun.

Only after I started "Peating" 3 years ago did I begin to realize that there is such a thing as "too much sun exposure", and that the threshold is far lower than I could have ever imagined.

Now, during the summer months, I entirely avoid the sun at least 2:30 hours before and after the solar noon (which is around 1:30PM).

Failure to do so always results in total insomnia that night.
Siestas exist for a reason in Spain.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals