What's the consensus on tanning beds? How does it compare to the real thing?

LadyRae

Yes, I also throw a double layer of towel over my face the last half of my tanning session. Really you want the light on your torso for the most vitamin D production

Old Irenaeus

I turn the face lights off after four minutes. Unlike my face and hands, my mid-section and legs get quite dark, but I am always covered up in fall and winter, so I don't think the tanning is noticeable. Although I am usually noticing how pale other people are, so maybe it is.

Makrosky

9 minutes a couple hours ago. I haven't seen the sun in days and I feel like dancing. This thing works. Dunno if it is placebo.

People on higher latitudes, give it a try.

Makrosky

best recommendations for a home tanning bed please
I think for home you can check sperti brand lamps. They seem pretty well made and legit.

If this winter the solarium keeps working good and I have to stay another year in this latitude I will buy one.

Rafe

9 minutes a couple hours ago. I haven't seen the sun in days and I feel like dancing. This thing works. Dunno if it is placebo.

People on higher latitudes, give it a try.

Happy to hear this.

This is how I feel when I walk out from 3 min into the outdoors. A little goes a long way. Two times a week for 3 min is my sweet spot.

It probably is slightly aging for fair skin. But I’m at 42* latitude & low cloud ceiling for months.

A little UVB makes everything better.

Makrosky

Happy to hear this.

This is how I feel when I walk out from 3 min into the outdoors. A little goes a long way. Two times a week for 3 min is my sweet spot.

It probably is slightly aging for fair skin. But I’m at 42* latitude & low cloud ceiling for months.

A little UVB makes everything better.
I think it could be a bit more than "slightly" aging (in a different way than sun). But certainly the trade off is worth it.

What would be a good SIMPLE protection strategy against this? @LadyRae uses redlights after the UVB to balance but I don't have access to those.

Vitamin C?

koky

I think for home you can check sperti brand lamps. They seem pretty well made and legit.

If this winter the solarium keeps working good and I have to stay another year in this latitude I will buy one.
seems only lamps, not beds

Makrosky

Bump. Important to remember this as winter is approaching on the northern hemisphere.

Last winter I used them with great success. They turned my central Europe winters from "Here we go again, I want to go to sleep and wake up on April" into "it is just winter, I am ok!".

Old Irenaeus

Bump. Important to remember this as winter is approaching on the northern hemisphere.

Last winter I used them with great success. They turned my central Europe winters from "Here we go again, I want to go to sleep and wake up on April" into "it is just winter, I am ok!".
Thanks for the reminder. I'll go this afternoon/evening.

Kray

Tanning beds in winter (low pressure/most uvb) make a big positive difference in my mood and sleep. I'm in Eastern Washington State, usa
@LadyRae Just read your post- coming to a point now where if I don't get to a tanning salon soon, I will go crazy! I also saw your location, and we are not far from you-- west on the water! Going on my second winter here, having been raised in the sun, so you can imagine! Although I'm enjoying the beautiful change in scenery here, I can't wait to get warm again 🥵. Thanks for your tips!

LadyRae

@LadyRae Just read your post- coming to a point now where if I don't get to a tanning salon soon, I will go crazy! I also saw your location, and we are not far from you-- west on the water! Going on my second winter here, having been raised in the sun, so you can imagine! Although I'm enjoying the beautiful change in scenery here, I can't wait to get warm again 🥵. Thanks for your tips!
Hi! I'm actually going to buy minutes at my local fake sun place tomorrow, because we're flying to Kona in 2 weeks... If I don't pre-tan, I have to wear a lot of sunscreen (😐) the first whole week.

Just get the cheapest "entry level" beds...they have the most UVB...

Enjoy🌞

Kray

Hi! I'm actually going to buy minutes at my local fake sun place tomorrow, because we're flying to Kona in 2 weeks... If I don't pre-tan, I have to wear a lot of sunscreen (😐) the first whole week.

Enjoy🌞
Oh nice, great tip! I'll be going south to AZ in spring so hopefully I'll be prepped too. YOU enjoy! 🌺 Aloha

Kray

Enjoy🌞
Quick question- is 50/50 UVA/UVB "gold" bulbs ok? Our salon offers Silver (95% UVB), Gold (50/50- most commonly used, most like natural sunlight), and platinum- mostly UVA. And other question- do you suggest having clean skin (no body lotion) when you go in?

Last edited:

LadyRae

Quick question- is 50/50 UVA/UVB "gold" bulbs ok? Our salon offers Silver (95% UVB), Gold (50/50- most commonly used, most like natural sunlight), and platinum- mostly UVA. And other question- do you suggest having clean skin (no body lotion) when you go in?
I thought that more UVB was best, but according to your description...I guess I'd go with Gold, the most like natural sunlight....

Kray

I thought that more UVB was best, but according to your description...I guess I'd go with Gold, the most like natural sunlight....
Well, just got back. It was so nice to feel warm again! Do you do a 95% UVB? I might see if I can switch around with the package I bought for 10 sessions and do the max UVB sometimes.

LadyRae

Well, just got back. It was so nice to feel warm again! Do you do a 95% UVB? I might see if I can switch around with the package I bought for 10 sessions and do the max UVB sometimes.
Have you noticed positive effects from tanning? Just wondering about your experience...

I've been going to the tanning salon three times a week all through february, except for a few weeks when I was in hawaii. Still going now that I am back home. I find that it is extremely relaxing and I sleep deeper and better at night

Kray

Have you noticed positive effects from tanning? Just wondering about your experience...

I've been going to the tanning salon three times a week all through february, except for a few weeks when I was in hawaii. Still going now that I am back home. I find that it is extremely relaxing and I sleep deeper and better at night
Just responded to you on the Georgi thread- but thanks for this helpful info here. Encouraging to hear, especially for sleep 😉