How To Prepare Your Skin For Sun Exposure?

dq139

hey guys,

I live in the north east usa and we have had a long cold sunless winter. I want to go down to florida and get some sun at the beach for a weekend some time in mid to late march. the weather in south florida will be 70s and hopefully sunny....how can I prepare my skin so that I don't get very sunburnt down there after the NE winter, I don't wear sunscreen usually unless I feel I need it....my skin is Light olive that can handle the sun and get a very dark tan. but it will get very painful burn if I'm out in the sun after months of no sun exposure.

what do u guys recommend so I can get some good vit D and a tan without burning my skin badly?

biggirlkisss

use conouct oil it will protect you from being burned. I would also recommand 30 minutes max of sunlight then use windows like sitting in a car for the remainder of the sun exposure.

OP
D

dq139

use conouct oil it will protect you from being burned. I would also recommand 30 minutes max of sunlight then use windows like sitting in a car for the remainder of the sun exposure.

Sounds doable. How about sitting under a umbrella and taking tyrosine and zinc & copper before going in the sun?

biggirlkisss

no to the umbrella you want the uvb and uva to touch the skin to make d and that takes 42-72 hours to absorb. I dunno how much tyrosine zinc and copper would protect from the pufa causing the burning. Just stick with coconut oil.

OP
D

dq139

no to the umbrella you want the uvb and uva to touch the skin to make d and that takes 42-72 hours to absorb. I dunno how much tyrosine zinc and copper would protect from the pufa causing the burning. Just stick with coconut oil.

I meant staying in the sun for like 20 minutes with the coconut oil then going under the umbrella and alternating between sun and shade so I dont get too burnt..

So should I supplement with vitamin e and drink coffee before tanning?

I heard that tyrosine and copper increase melanin production..some bodybuilders use like 1500 to 3000 mgs of tyrosine before tanning and they get darker.

OP
D

dq139

hmm email ray and ask

it be better to not get darker because then it will take you longer to absorb D though sun exposure even though the tan helps you fight the damage from uv.

I saw a study that showed that uv index needs to be much higher to get D.
Vitamin D from skin: contribution to vitamin D status compared with oral vitamin D in normal and anticonvulsant-treated subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

That is true about vit D absorption..but being Mediterranean its hard to not get dark if im forced to be in the summer sun alot haha....what is ray peats email so I can ask?

aguilaroja

It generally does not take a long time of (large surface area) skin exposure to sunlight to boost vitamin D, more like minutes than hours.

The safest and in some ways easiest way to prevent burning is to use light clothing/hat/umbrella when outdoors for a prolonged time.

A big advantage of time in warm, sunny climates is large amounts of ambient infrared, in addition to the sunlight boost of vitamin D. Some red spectrum/infrared will pass through light clothing.

Using Sunlight to Sustain Life – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Vitamin D Council | How do I get the vitamin D my body needs?
“You don’t need to tan or to burn your skin in order to get the vitamin D you need. Exposing your skin for a short time will make all the vitamin D your body can produce in one day. In fact, your body can produce 10,000 to 25,000 IU of vitamin D in just a little under the time it takes for your skin to begin to burn. You make the most vitamin D when you expose a large area of your skin, such as your back, rather than a small area such as your face or arms.”

LUH 3417

You can always ask the sun to be merciful and bless you in your pursuit of more light.

OP
D

dq139

You can always ask the sun to be merciful and bless you in your pursuit of more light.

Well that doesn't always work unfortunately unless its summer & I already have a dark tan lol

tankasnowgod

Coconut Oil is good, as is a niacinamide spray. Both of those are great for your skin, period, and they both help protect from the sun. Personally, I'll use a Niacinamide spray or Solban, and if I'm going to be in the sun for a long time, I'll use a Zinc Oxide based sunscreen like Badger Balm. Red Light use before and after is also a decent idea.

OP
D

dq139

Coconut Oil is good, as is a niacinamide spray. Both of those are great for your skin, period, and they both help protect from the sun. Personally, I'll use a Niacinamide spray or Solban, and if I'm going to be in the sun for a long time, I'll use a Zinc Oxide based sunscreen like Badger Balm. Red Light use before and after is also a decent idea.

Where can u buy pure niacinamide spray? For burn protection?

tankasnowgod

To what extent does it protect your skin. Is it as strong as commercial sunscreen?

It made mine smoother and better in general, but my skin was not great to begin with. I haven't burned since I started using it, although I'm usually outdoors for about 30- 1 hour at a time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals