Should I avoid sunbathing at 13pm to 14pm with no sunscreen?

OP
R

rayban

The best time for sun exposure seems to be in the hour or two right after and before sunset. This is based on my personal subjective feelings. Seems to exert a profound calming effect that middat sun does not. Maybe the angle of the sun changes the frequency distribution to something more beneficial.
I don't know. I would try but the thing is, at these hours the gym is filled with people, and I only hacve the gym as a place to get shirtless and lay down on the sun. The beach is too far from here for that.

Cow

Expose Your Skin Around Midday

Midday, especially during summer, is the best time to get sunlight.

At noon, the sun is at its highest point, and its UVB rays are most intense. That means you need less time in the sun to make sufficient vitamin D (5Trusted Source).

Many studies also show that the body is most efficient at making vitamin D at noon (6Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source).

For example, in the UK, 13 minutes of midday sunlight exposure during summer three times per week is enough to maintain healthy levels among Caucasian adults (5Trusted Source).

Another study found that 30 minutes of midday summer sun exposure in Oslo, Norway was equivalent to consuming 10,000–20,000 IU of vitamin D (8Trusted Source).

The commonly recommended daily dose of vitamin D is 600 IU (15 mcg) (3Trusted Source).

Not only is getting vitamin D around midday more efficient, but it might also be safer than getting sun later in the day. One study found that afternoon sun exposure may increase the risk of dangerous skin cancers (9Trusted Source).

OP
R

rayban

Expose Your Skin Around Midday

Midday, especially during summer, is the best time to get sunlight.

At noon, the sun is at its highest point, and its UVB rays are most intense. That means you need less time in the sun to make sufficient vitamin D (5Trusted Source).

Many studies also show that the body is most efficient at making vitamin D at noon (6Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source).

For example, in the UK, 13 minutes of midday sunlight exposure during summer three times per week is enough to maintain healthy levels among Caucasian adults (5Trusted Source).

Another study found that 30 minutes of midday summer sun exposure in Oslo, Norway was equivalent to consuming 10,000–20,000 IU of vitamin D (8Trusted Source).

The commonly recommended daily dose of vitamin D is 600 IU (15 mcg) (3Trusted Source).

Not only is getting vitamin D around midday more efficient, but it might also be safer than getting sun later in the day. One study found that afternoon sun exposure may increase the risk of dangerous skin cancers (9Trusted Source).

What about the studies that claim that vitamin D synthesis is not blocked by sunscreen and that this is a myth?

OP
R

rayban

Your body is more effecient at making vitamin d in the noon time than in the morning or after 4 pm.

Always, it's best to avoid showering after sunbathing if you read this:
Yeah but sunscreens wise... show me some evidence that proves using sunscreen can lead to a vitamin D deficit.

I get that sunscreen blocks it but where is the evidence that proves using it actually leads to a vitamin D deficit.

Because if you use sunscreen, but you get less dose but still enough, and you are safer from melanomas and so on, then why would you not use sunscreen.

Aymen

Yeah but sunscreens wise... show me some evidence that proves using sunscreen can lead to a vitamin D deficit.

I get that sunscreen blocks it but where is the evidence that proves using it actually leads to a vitamin D deficit.

Because if you use sunscreen, but you get less dose but still enough, and you are safer from melanomas and so on, then why would you not use sunscreen.
I'm sure i have read it before many times that sunscreen blocks vitamin d production in the skin, for now i have this:

Also, you can apply sunscreen in your face only and let the other wid body parts uncovered, i believe the face is a sensitive part for uv radiation unlike the wider parts of the body like the back, chest and legs.

David PS

OP
R

rayban

I'm sure i have read it before many times that sunscreen blocks vitamin d production in the skin, for now i have this:

Also, you can apply sunscreen in your face only and let the other wid body parts uncovered, i believe the face is a sensitive part for uv radiation unlike the wider parts of the body like the back, chest and legs.
The study you linked says this:

Sunscreen use for daily and recreational photoprotection does not compromise vitamin D synthesis, even when applied under optimal conditions.

So basically you can use sunscreen. Then where does this "don't use sunscreen" saying comes from? is just another repeated myth.

Aymen

The study you linked says this:

Sunscreen use for daily and recreational photoprotection does not compromise vitamin D synthesis, even when applied under optimal conditions.

So basically you can use sunscreen. Then where does this "don't use sunscreen" saying comes from? is just another repeated myth.
Yes, it seems there is not enough evidence that sunscreen block vitamin d, it may affect it and it may not.

OP
R

rayban

Yes, it seems there is not enough evidence that sunscreen block vitamin d, it may affect it and it may not.

So where does this anti sunscreen thing comes from?

Aymen

So where does this anti sunscreen thing comes from?
Probably some old research or myth.

I think if sunscreen doesn't block vitamin d you should use a natural sunscreen anyway like zinc oxide, most sunscreens have endocrine disruptor chemicals.

David PS

1659118020000.png

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom