How Long To Eat Low PUFA And Not Get Sunburnt?

Cirion

See topic. I want to plan one or two beach vacations this year to try to improve my health via sun exposure, but I want to be able to be out in the sun a while, several hours, and not burn. I have a history of burning with more than 30-45 minute exposure and feel like the experience will get wasted if that's all I can tolerate.

I want to plan now months in advance because I expect it won't be overnight that I can do this.

Also, how low? <4g a day?

In case it's not obvious, I have no interest in sunscreen. That stuff is so estrogenic plus blocks the sun rays anyway.

Last edited:

olive

Ray said the half life of PUFA in the body is around 600 days IIRC.

Transdermal stearic acid (cocoa/shea butter) will help.
Low cortisol will help; sleep 8+ hours, have good glycogen stores, be stress free, etc.
Vitamin C helps protect the skin.
Vitamin E helps protect the skin.
Cocoa flavonoids help protect the skin.
Lypocene from tomatoes/watermelon/papaya help protect the skin.

Asthaxanin from salmon help protect the skin however I’m not sure it would be ‘Peat’ approved.

Melanotan II can be used, if you want to go that route. It is quite effective however you should read into potential dangers.

Last edited:
OP
Cirion

Cirion

Yeah I heard that same quote. That means I probably can't deplete, but I can at least get rid of a lot if I'm vigilant... Vitamin E cream might work well since it directly protects against PUFA? Where can you get something like that? Amazon I guess? Seems like that would be a much better "Sunscreen"

olive

Yeah I heard that same quote. That means I probably can't deplete, but I can at least get rid of a lot if I'm vigilant... Vitamin E cream might work well since it directly protects against PUFA? Where can you get something like that? Amazon I guess? Seems like that would be a much better "Sunscreen"
I don’t think vitamin e topically would be very beneficial. Like K I believe it’s destroyed by UV fairly quickly.

Better to apply; zinc, caffeine, niacinamide, vitamin c, stearic acid topically and eat a diet high in the above mentioned foods.

Garlic consumption will also help to protect the skin from UV damage.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Now just need to find a hot girl to apply the stearic acid / cocoa butter on my skin LOL :P

Waremu

I noticed the ability to not burn easily like I used to in the sun after 2+ years into Peating. This correlates very very well with Peats statement about Sun and PUFA and tissue PUFA half-life of 2 years, roughly speaking. Zinc also helps with sun damage prevention. But now that I am 7 years into Peating, and am low in PUFA, I can be in direct sunlight for most of the day and not get burned red. I will just get a nice olive tan. So I don't have to worry about trying anything else anymore in that area to prevent the red burns I used to get.

Less than 4 grams per 2000 calories is what I remember Peat saying, or what the math works out to. I still try to get as little PUFA as possible, even though I am well under that number. Thats my personal choice though. I average around 2 grams of PUFA per day per 3000 calories. I feel good staying at 2 grams or less as a goal. But again, this my own choice to be this strict.

ursidae

I don’t burn anymore. My whole life including last year I burned painfully and peeled for 2-4 weeks until beginning to form a light tan. Not anymore. It gets slightly red and in the morning its turned to a tan. No more pain. Cool

bistecca

keep an eye on EMF stress if you're concerned about skin health. Exposure to radio/mw emf will preferentially impact skin and impair regeneration.. something I'm dealing with at the moment.

Also i think it's best to avoid sun exposure from 11:00-2:00 or so, when the sun is the most intense and UV exposure highest.

Last edited:
T

TheBeard

I don’t burn anymore. My whole life including last year I burned painfully and peeled for 2-4 weeks until beginning to form a light tan. Not anymore. It gets slightly red and in the morning its turned to a tan. No more pain. Cool

How did you deplete PUFA fast enough?

I've been PUFA free for 1 year and still burn. Not as bad, but still.

ursidae

How did you deplete PUFA fast enough?

I've been PUFA free for 1 year and still burn. Not as bad, but still.
Oh, I eat some pufa from fish eggs and avocado, about 6-7 g sometimes. I’m not sure why I don’t burn anymore

Korven

Oh, I eat some pufa from fish eggs and avocado, about 6-7 g sometimes. I’m not sure why I don’t burn anymore

I think avoiding the rancid seed oils/fried foods makes the biggest difference. Haven't gotten sunburnt in years since cutting that stuff out. The vitamin E in whole foods like eggs and avocado is probably beneficial for skin health even though it's got some PUFA.