Estrogen

Theo

Apparently we are subject to an inordinate amount of estrogenic factors. I have been making small ajustements to eliminate excess estrogen. For instance I take 30mg of chelated zinc every night before sleep. I also have been looking into indole 3 carbonale.

Of note, men's testerone levels are now measured on a scale that allows for about 20% less ( than 30 yrs ago ) to be considered as a normal level.

A naturopath suggested looking into hormonal health as soon as the basics are covered. It's that important.

How do you deal with excess estrogen ?
What helps hormonal health the most ?

Funny how these ranges are chosen differently between laboratories, funny how chronic loosenings of these ranges fall through the cracks of their statistics. When our current doctors who actually know the old ranges retire, what are we left with? The industry will have essentially carte blanche, they won't even need to do the cover-ups when studying a substance, because the cover-up will become intrinsic at the level of its effects on people.

Does the zinc help you? Someone said it can raise prolactin.

OP
T

Theo

Yes the zinc seems to help. I read it can reduce prolactin by up to 50%. There is a caution out as regards to too much zinc supps. I wouldn't go any higher than 30 mg of chelated zinc.

PS apparently the lab scales are a reflection of the current levels of testosterone in men which is approximately 20 % lower as an average than it was 30 years ago. At least that's what I have read.

Yes, and that reflects the inability of our modern medicine to maintain a status quo in the general health of the population, as well as the impossibility of it ever bringing that status upward. If the ranges are just there to reassure you that you are "as healthy as most of other people right now", then they serve no purpose at all, do they.

Makrosky

Theo said:
Yes the zinc seems to help. I read it can reduce prolactin by up to 50%. There is a caution out as regards to too much zinc supps. I wouldn't go any higher than 30 mg of chelated zinc.

PS apparently the lab scales are a reflection of the current levels of testosterone in men which is approximately 20 % lower as an average than it was 30 years ago. At least that's what I have read.

It is said by lots of MD's and ND's that for every 10 mg's of zinc you should get 1mg of copper. Some sources establish a lower ratio (8 zinc / 1 copper) and others establish it at 15 zinc / 1 copper. It finally depends on many factors. It is said you can cause a copper deficiency if you don't follow that ratio.

We're not talking about the bad copper that zinc can displace. We're talking about the good bioavaliable copper.

There's also another essential mineral you can deplete if you only supplement zinc, but I can't recall it. I think it was molybdenum.

I didn't get this info from Ray Peat. I don't know what are his views about this.

Is that when eating or at any time?

Makrosky

Such_Saturation said:
Is that when eating or at any time?

When *supplementing* Zinc for long periods of time. Haven't looked for any studies regarding that. It is just in many MD's and ND's pages. And on many zinc/copper formulas like Now Foods, Jarrow, etc.

Also, as you probably know, the ratio can go out of wreck in favour of copper depending on diet. Like vegetarians and stuff but that is not the point here since we don't do that. I think with Peat nutrition the ratio is gonna be ok. Be careful only when supplementing.

Or maybe don't be careful because this is some mainstream BS like fishoils and stuff... Don't know, really. Just wanted to raise awareness about that.

Makrosky

Ok, I did a quick pubmed search. Don't really have the time now to check it thoroughly, but... "probable", "minority", "7 years"... Not a big deal it seems.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26113737

"Abstract

A middle-aged woman with neutropenia and ataxia was found to have raised plasma zinc and profoundly low plasma copper concentrations. When found that she had been prescribed 135 mg zinc/day for seven years, a diagnosis of zinc-induced copper deficiency was made. After the zinc prescription was stopped her copper and zinc concentrations and neutropenia normalised but she only had partial improvement in neurological status. The diagnosis of zinc induced copper deficiency can be facilitated by the laboratory through measurement of plasma zinc concentration in patients with a low plasma copper concentration."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26085547

"CONCLUSIONS:

Zinc deficiency is frequently misdiagnosed on the basis of low plasma zinc concentrations. The potential risk of copper deficiency developing in patients prescribed high doses of zinc is apparently infrequently considered. It is probable that a significant minority of patients prescribed with high doses of zinc develop iatrogenic copper deficiency.

Published by the BMJ Publishing Group Limited. For permission to use (where not already granted under a licence) please go to http://group.bmj.com/group/rights-licensing/permissions.

OP
T

Theo

Such_Saturation said:
Yes, and that reflects the inability of our modern medicine to maintain a status quo in the general health of the population, as well as the impossibility of it ever bringing that status upward. If the ranges are just there to reassure you that you are "as healthy as most of other people right now", then they serve no purpose at all, do they.

I agree ! And I only found this out by digging into it after reading about how low test can affect health. Although I've had my testerone measured at my request...i was never advised that the scales had been adjusted down.

I'm reading about hormonal health these days..several authors...Dr Sara Gottfried, Brad King etc...I'm glad I looked into hormonal health . in addition Ray Peat addresses certain specific issues regarding hormonal balance.

Makrosky said:
Ok, I did a quick pubmed search. Don't really have the time now to check it thoroughly, but... "probable", "minority", "7 years"... Not a big deal it seems.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26113737

"Abstract

A middle-aged woman with neutropenia and ataxia was found to have raised plasma zinc and profoundly low plasma copper concentrations. When found that she had been prescribed 135 mg zinc/day for seven years, a diagnosis of zinc-induced copper deficiency was made. After the zinc prescription was stopped her copper and zinc concentrations and neutropenia normalised but she only had partial improvement in neurological status. The diagnosis of zinc induced copper deficiency can be facilitated by the laboratory through measurement of plasma zinc concentration in patients with a low plasma copper concentration."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26085547

"CONCLUSIONS:

Zinc deficiency is frequently misdiagnosed on the basis of low plasma zinc concentrations. The potential risk of copper deficiency developing in patients prescribed high doses of zinc is apparently infrequently considered. It is probable that a significant minority of patients prescribed with high doses of zinc develop iatrogenic copper deficiency.

Published by the BMJ Publishing Group Limited. For permission to use (where not already granted under a licence) please go to http://group.bmj.com/group/rights-licensing/permissions.

I think it's important if this can go on inside the body, even if you eat them separately.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals