Massive Fraud Was Used To Sell The Public On The Safety Of HRT (estrogen)

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray wrote in one of his articles about the concerted, wide-scale fraud that has been perpetuated for decades by the pharma industry to convince the public that estrogen is safe and thus pave the way for mass-scale HRT with that deadly steroid. He has a link in one of his articles to a study by a Harvard researcher who does a very good overview on some of the more mainstream techniques used by Big Pharma to skew the public opinion in favor of estrogen.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/estrogen-progesterone-cancer.shtml
"...For more than 60 years, the estrogen industry has been using the techniques of public relations, including the placement of pseudoscientific articles in medical journals, to promote their sales. Recently, Carla Rothenberg documented a conspiracy of the estrogen industry in the 1940s to get medical and governmental approval of their products by shifting attention away from the clear evidence of estrogen's toxicity. Her paper competently reviews the subsequent history of "Hormone Replacement Therapy."

Interestingly, the link to the paper on Harvard's website no longer works, and the paper cannot be found anywhere on the university's website. A Google search shows that the paper was hosted on a few other university website's but those links are now dead too. In fact, the paper is no longer publicly available from any source (as far as I can tell). I doubt that this is a coincidence. Well, luckily I have a copy of that paper and I am uploading it in this thread for people who want to get riled up reading about massive, decade-long fraud schemes :):
Aside from that work of the Harvard Law graduate, very few other studies have been published on the subject. There have been rumors that Big Pharma uses other nefarious means to promote the "safety" of estrogen but not many formal studies on that have been done. This study below now adds "ghostwriting" to the list of techniques pharma companies use to pollute the public opinion and influence the FDA. Ghostwriting is particularly nefarious because it has widespread effects on the entire body of knowledge in a given field, and if a study establishes itself as important, it will be cited and used for public health decisions for decades to come. The infamous 1930s Burr study on the "essential" nature of PUFA is a very good example. I wonder if that study was the first example of ghostwriting...In what could be just a freaky coincidence, one of the main players in Wyeth's scheme to sell estrogen as safe was its VP of Scientific Communications, Gerald Burr. I don't know for sure if he is related to the Burrs that did the 1930s study but there is information on Ancestry.com suggesting Gerald is George Burr's grandson. If this is indeed the case, I suppose we can say that fraud does indeed run in the family.
Finally, while the study below calls out only Wyeth directly, virtually all other Big Pharma companies have either a patented estrogen formulation or a SERM that stand a lot to gain from HRT being accepted as safe and becoming mainstream. So, it truly is an industry-wide conspiracy. Even more concerning is the recent resurgence in attempts to cast serious doubt on the famous WHI study - the study which ended estrogen's prospects as a drug prescribed to every woman for "general health". There have already been a number of editorials in JAMA stating that the WHI study design was flawed and if a different dosage or formulation had been used then estrogen would have delivered spectacular results. If the study below is correct then many/most of these editorials are probably ghostwritten too...

http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1000335

"...
  • Some 1500 documents revealed in litigation provide unprecedented insights into how pharmaceutical companies promote drugs, including the use of vendors to produce ghostwritten manuscripts and place them into medical journals.
  • Dozens of ghostwritten reviews and commentaries published in medical journals and supplements were used to promote unproven benefits and downplay harms of menopausal hormone therapy (HT), and to cast raloxifene and other competing therapies in a negative light.
  • Specifically, the pharmaceutical company Wyeth used ghostwritten articles to mitigate the perceived risks of breast cancer associated with HT, to defend the unsupported cardiovascular “benefits” of HT, and to promote off-label, unproven uses of HT such as the prevention of dementia, Parkinson's disease, vision problems, and wrinkles.
  • Given the growing evidence that ghostwriting has been used to promote HT and other highly promoted drugs, the medical profession must take steps to ensure that prescribers renounce participation in ghostwriting, and to ensure that unscrupulous relationships between industry and academia are avoided rather than courted.
..."

"...Finally, in response to a question about whether previously commissioned papers could be reused, Gerald Burr of Wyeth wrote: “You can't just put another name on the article, but you can plagiarize the way we did when we wrote papers in college. What you need to do is give your potential authors Karen's version of the article before the author modified it. Then have your authors modify it for publication under their name. Wyeth owns Karen's draft, not the final publication” [44]. Burr supplied five drafts [45] but asked that Karen Mittleman be notified of the plans for reuse “so she can advise if we are going to piss off any of the U.S. authors” [44]."

Attachments

• Rothenberg05.pdf
    442.9 KB · Views: 945
Last edited:
upload_2018-3-2_19-24-15.png

People should be careful with how "figurative" they think Ray's articles are...

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
the same thing is happening to testosterone replacement therapy for men. It's bioidentical but seldom pans out. Most men get too much estrogen building up. And the costs are astronomical for something that should be dirt cheap. Lots of side effects, few benefits. Dr. Peat has taught me that the dosages are way way too high.

You mean his articles are quite...literal...when it comes to things like medical conspiracies?
Yes, and he has more insider info than people give him credit for. He isn't ever "outraged" by these things (probably used to it by now) and he is never sensationalistic; I think this leads to people thinking he is being metaphorical or speaking very generally about the evils of the industry.

L

lollipop

Thank you for the PDF @haidut! Priceless really.

Just in case you need a breath from any complaint emails or PM’s written to you, wanted to reiterate that I and (many) appreciate your contribution, sincerity, and honesty in the pursuit of maximum health.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Just in case you need a breath from any complaint emails or PM’s written to you, wanted to reiterate that I and (many) appreciate your contribution, sincerity, and honesty in the pursuit of maximum health.

Thanks Lisa, much appreciated!

J

jb116

+1000

Madato

the same thing is happening to testosterone replacement therapy for men. It's bioidentical but seldom pans out. Most men get too much estrogen building up. And the costs are astronomical for something that should be dirt cheap. Lots of side effects, few benefits. Dr. Peat has taught me that the dosages are way way too high.

As long as dosages are moderate (150mg-200mg/week) and that an AI is used when needed, benefits outnumber side effects when it comes to TRT

Maximilian

As long as dosages are moderate (150mg-200mg/week) and that an AI is used when needed, benefits outnumber side effects when it comes to TRT
Those dosages might still be too high, 100mgs a week puts me at 700ng/dL in blood tests. 150-200mgs would put me way over 1000ng/dL and the aromatizing effects would be much higher.

aquaman

@haidut gets complaint emails? From whom?

J

jb116

Most likely shills and people who want to stop exploration of true health.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut gets complaint emails? From whom?

Don't know who, but I get maybe 2-3 emails a day from anonymous users complaining about things like me saying that progesterone has anabolic properties, that some androgens like testosterone and some AAS have progesting properties, that estrogen is not a just a "female" hormone and when elevated for long time it is pathogenic, that aspirin is one of the most systemically beneficial preventative measures a person can take these days, that saturated fat is food, that omega-3 is an industrial waste product and really does not have the benefit mainstream media claims it does, etc.
Not sure who they are, and it could be just a few people using multiple email accounts to appear different. But I take it as a good sign - i.e. we are stirring the pot and it makes some people nervous :):

aquaman

^^ weird!

Yeah, it signifies the knowledge is getting spread to more people

Rafe

Thanks for linking to this paper.

Similar to estrogen, David Healy has exposed ghostwriting research papers in the marketing of ssri’s especially for use in children. With that class of drugs there is also lobbying to have states mandate their use in state juvenile psych commitments. Their use becomes a matter of public policy. Texas policy is the template.

The whole process includes not only ghostwriting at the front end but also the storing of clinical trial raw data offshore so they can’t be inspected or subpoenaed in civil suits at the back end, says Healy. I suppose that could also be done with raw data on estrogen trials. I suspect osteoporosis drugs are treated similarly, as others.

But where Peat has been restrained & so avoided some of the worst of being lumped with really crazy conspiracy theories as pointed out by @Such_Saturation Healy has gone outraged & I think this has taken a toll on the impression he gives even though he has done all the homework.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks for linking to this paper.

Similar to estrogen, David Healy has exposed ghostwriting research papers in the marketing of ssri’s especially for use in children. With that class of drugs there is also lobbying to have states mandate their use in state juvenile psych commitments. Their use becomes a matter of public policy. Texas policy is the template.

The whole process includes not only ghostwriting at the front end but also the storing of clinical trial raw data offshore so they can’t be inspected or subpoenaed in civil suits at the back end, says Healy. I suppose that could also be done with raw data on estrogen trials. I suspect osteoporosis drugs are treated similarly, as others.

But where Peat has been restrained & so avoided some of the worst of being lumped with really crazy conspiracy theories as pointed out by @Such_Saturation Healy has gone outraged & I think this has taken a toll on the impression he gives even though he has done all the homework.

As far as I know, most large pharma companies conduct clinical trials not so much for cost reasons (which can be kept low through lobbying/extortion even in the US0 but precisely because the facilities, trial management and the data it produces would be beyond FDA's reach. FDA just gets to see the final submission, after the data has been properly "massaged" to prove effectiveness over placebo, and serious adverse events (SAE) removed from the data.
In regards to the SSRI, have you seen these other posts I made on the topic? The last link below seems especially relevant for juvenile centers.
SSRI Drugs Impair Judgment, Wisdom, Understanding, Love And Empathy
SSRI Make Organisms Demented, Violent & Homicidal, Even At Low Doses
Serotonin Creates Obedient Zombies - The Ultimate Government Wet Dream

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals