Eat more to boost metabolism?

mgrabs

Over the years I look back at my most fit years as a young 27 year old male. During those times I was very active, construction, lifting, hiit training, surfing, etc.. while looking the most shredded version of myself.

Fast forward to slowing down with eating as much ..this year my days have been always at a maintenance calorie count. & my body, mind & mood tanked. “ skinny fat” with low moods

Also, during my peak years I was always on thyroid just to stay optimal & keep my TSH suppressed.

My guess not eating a significant amount daily has shot everything down. My belief is to eat more to burn more to feel your best.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject? I may be explaining it wrong but I would assume
Increasing calories will increase metabolism & hormones. Does thyroid hormone medication require a big boost in calories to work properly? At least in the beginning

I’m back on a 90mg of thyroid & still dealing with cold temps & low mood. But, I started to really get my appetite back.. (I started 60mg about
2 weeks ago, now around 90mg)

Still hoping to have better temps, better hair again, & calmer moods

Jessie

Just my opinion, but I don't think eating "significantly more" is the best thing. An older (maybe retired?) forum member named Cirion did this exact thing, wrote a log about it I believe. You can look up his posts. But I don't think the experiment went well from what I remember. He just got fat.

More is not better. I think it has to do with the roller-coaster in blood sugar dysregulation. Hypothyroid people waste sugar. Their glycogen stores are always either drained, or very briefly full after a meal before rapidly being drained again. So keeping something like a cup of juice to sip on between meals will help.

But there could also be more going on behind the scenes. Symptoms of hypothyroidism, and hyperestrogenism, are almost verbatim. One can cause the other, too. So low temps and mood can be from estrogen toxicity as much as it can from low thyroid. When TSH rises prolactin will typically rise with it. High prolactin will suppress dopamine.

Your problem isn't likely just related to thyroid. There's probably an imbalance in your androgens, estrogens, pituitary, catecholamines, and serotonin. For me, zinc supplementation really helped me to tolerate thyroid better. Likely from suppressing aromatase and prolactin. Zinc is something hypothyroid people are probably deficient in, too. They can't hold onto it for long, like magnesium.

LadyRae

Just my opinion, but I don't think eating "significantly more" is the best thing. An older (maybe retired?) forum member named Cirion did this exact thing, wrote a log about it I believe. You can look up his posts. But I don't think the experiment went well from what I remember. He just got fat.

More is not better. I think it has to do with the roller-coaster in blood sugar dysregulation. Hypothyroid people waste sugar. Their glycogen stores are always either drained, or very briefly full after a meal before rapidly being drained again. So keeping something like a cup of juice to sip on between meals will help.

But there could also be more going on behind the scenes. Symptoms of hypothyroidism, and hyperestrogenism, are almost verbatim. One can cause the other, too. So low temps and mood can be from estrogen toxicity as much as it can from low thyroid. When TSH rises prolactin will typically rise with it. High prolactin will suppress dopamine.

Your problem isn't likely just related to thyroid. There's probably an imbalance in your androgens, estrogens, pituitary, catecholamines, and serotonin. For me, zinc supplementation really helped me to tolerate thyroid better. Likely from suppressing aromatase and prolactin. Zinc is something hypothyroid people are probably deficient in, too. They can't hold onto it for long, like magnesium.
Great post! I loved @Cirion's posts too...I wish he was still here 😞

Anyone who enjoys oysters enough to eat 1 or 2 every day, will notice so many health improvements, from energy to skin. Zinc supplements are notoriously under absorbed...

Jessie

Anyone who enjoys oysters enough to eat 1 or 2 every day, will notice so many health improvements, from energy to skin. Zinc supplements are notoriously under absorbed...
Yeah that's true. I think zinc-gluconate is on the high end of absorbability, and even that's only like 60%. Oysters would be the best, especially for long-term balance considering the also have a decent amount of copper.

Elie

Forum Supporter

Have you come across info about microplastic accumulating in Oysters? Could that be an issue?

LadyRae

Have you come across info about microplastic accumulating in Oysters? Could that be an issue?
No. I think the benefits of eating real oysters far outweigh any possible micro plastic contamination. Considering that microplastics are pervasive in the environment as a whole....

Elie

Forum Supporter
No. I think the benefits of eating real oysters far outweigh any possible micro plastic contamination. Considering that microplastics are pervasive in the environment as a whole....
I'd certainly like to learn more about this

A-Tim

I remember reading on multiple occasions that shellfish like oysters have been tested for microplastics and in both instances were relatively low.

Elie

Forum Supporter
I remember reading on multiple occasions that shellfish like oysters have been tested for microplastics and in both instances were relatively low.
Thank u.
If u happen to find the article please share

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals