Dutch People Gained 20cm Of Height In Just 150 Years

haidut

Forum Supporter
Maybe another confirmation of Peat ideas and epigenetics over genetics. Dutch people used to be among the shortest as recently as 150 years ago. Now, they are the tallest (on average). While the study makes the standard claim that a combination of genetics and environment probably caused this height increase, in reality the reason is probably mostly caused by diet. The Dutch steadily increased their consumption of milk products over the last 200 years and currently have the higher per capita consumption of calcium in the world. I think that would explain the increase in height better than any genetic mechanism, especially considering the short span of less than 2 centuries.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/a ... re-so-tall

"...But how the Dutch became the world’s tallest people has been somewhat of a mystery. After all, two centuries ago they were renowned for being among the shortest. What happened since then? A popular explanation is nutrition – a calorie-stuffed diet rich in meat and dairy products. But that can’t be the whole story, experts say.

Re: Dutch people gaines 20cm of height in just 150 years

Haha, "natural selection". I bet the irish were also tall before the famine and some people forcefully stopped potato shipments to cull population. You can call that natural I guess.

Just step into any university and witness what a bad diet does to your body and thinking approach. You will see crooked thin legs, slumped backs, long feminine hands. Also notice how many really smart people have large heads and certain similarly smart but usually high-up people have smaller heads. The larger heads tend to be more laid back and open minded, while the others seem to have gained their knowledge by cramming and generally forming habits which they also tend to expect from others.

There is a noticeable association of large skulls with intelligence, but it really becomes important when you measure the brain. Also
Additionally, it
is plausible that regional gray matter volume may mediate the correlation
between height and IQ because the main environmental determinant
of height is nutrition (Silventoinen, 2003) and because
differences in breakfast dietary habits affect not only IQ, but also
gray matter volume in healthy children (Taki et al., 2010).

Dean

Such Saturation, are you proposing that "peating" can "masculinize" your hands and increase the size of your noggin?

Dean said:
Such Saturation, are you proposing that "peating" can "masculinize" your hands and increase the size of your noggin?

I'm just saying eating little food and vitamins and not getting in the sun enough will make your body take this frail and slightly alien shape, which may or may not (I think not) be a necessity of the female spirit.

Dean

Such_Saturation said:
Dean said:

I'm just saying eating little food and vitamins and not getting in the sun enough will make your body take this frail and slightly alien shape, which may or may not (I think not) be a necessity of the female spirit.

So, if you are a male who was born with a small head and effeminate hands, would this indicate, to you, malnourishment in the womb?

Dean said:
Such_Saturation said:
Dean said:

So, if you are a male who was born with a small head and effeminate hands, would this indicate, to you, malnourishment in the womb?

In my humble opinion it would suggest that the mother is quite frail in build, and really has never been a big eater, perhaps even has "autoimmune" disorders "in the family". But of course all of that would imply what you said as well.

jaguar43

haidut said:
Maybe another confirmation of Peat ideas and epigenetics over genetics. Dutch people used to be among the shortest as recently as 150 years ago. Now, they are the tallest (on average). While the study makes the standard claim that a combination of genetics and environment probably caused this height increase, in reality the reason is probably mostly caused by diet. The Dutch steadily increased their consumption of milk products over the last 200 years and currently have the higher per capita consumption of calcium in the world. I think that would explain the increase in height better than any genetic mechanism, especially considering the short span of less than 2 centuries.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/a ... re-so-tall

"...But how the Dutch became the world’s tallest people has been somewhat of a mystery. After all, two centuries ago they were renowned for being among the shortest. What happened since then? A popular explanation is nutrition – a calorie-stuffed diet rich in meat and dairy products. But that can’t be the whole story, experts say.

The idea that poor nutrition stunts growth has led to the idea that good nutrition can be defined in terms of the rate of growth and the size ultimately reached. In medicine, it is common to refer to an obese specimen as “well nourished,” as if quantity of food and quantity of tissue were necessarily good things. But poisons can stimulate growth (“hormesis”), and food restriction can extend longevity. We still have to determine basic things such as the optimal rate of growth, and the optimal size.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtml

I don't think being tall is necessary a good indicator of nourishment, according to the quote. From different parts of the world the most recent generation seems to be much taller than previous generations in the "Modern" Countries. I wouldn't be surprise if it had to with environmental pollutions, like estrogens from plastic and/or birth control.

Of course being too short is a problem as well. I think their is a optimal height and rate of growth. But it doesn't seem to fit into the cultural cliches of the western countries.

answersfound

Longer limbs are actually symptomatic of hypothyroidism.

jaguar43

lookingforanswers said:

In Broda Barnes book, he had said that his taller patients tend to be low thyroid more frequency.

Philomath

What form of societal stress happened in that time frame?

RP-Estrogen stimulates both prolactin and growth hormone secretion.
RP-Heat, hypoglycemia, running, and some types of shock are known to stimulate growth hormone secretion, sometimes to levels ten or twenty times higher than normal. (Two kinds of stress that usually don't increase GH are cold and stimulus-deprivation.) I consider the growth hormone to be, almost as much as prolactin, a stress-inducible hormone.

answersfound

jag2594 said:
lookingforanswers said:

In Broda Barnes book, he had said that his taller patients tend to be low thyroid more frequency.

Very interesting. I also came across this quote from the website below:

"Although in childhood growth may be stunted by a marked thyroid deficiency, there may be a seemingly paradoxical effect of a minor deficiency at puberty. The individual may become unusually tall. Growth stops with the closing of the growth centers at the end of each long bone. Thyroid hormone plays a part in causing these centers to close normally. With thyroid deficiency, growth may continue for some time. In adulthood, many of the effects of low thyroid function experienced in childhood may be carried over and new ones may emerge. The "problem" child--who was experiencing the effects of low thyroid function--may become an adult who all too easily may be mislabeled a -"neurotic-" or "hypochondriac" because of persistent or even accentuated fatigue, headaches, circulatory disturbances, and other manifestations of low thyroid function."

http://www.tuberose.com/Thyroid.html

Dutchie

It still surprises me,whenever I read such claims about Dutch people,bc when I walk outside and look around me,it doesn't seem to me that we're tall people.
Actually,years ago when I was in The US,I noticed a lot more tall men...especially black men.

Parsifal

I've often read that tall people have shorter lifespan and weak hearth.

Could it be because there is a lot of growth hormones in milk?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Parsifal said:
post 99618 I've often read that tall people have shorter lifespan and weak hearth.

It's the ratio of brain mass to body mass that matters. A sort of "brain mass index" (BRMI) that you want to be as high as possible. Tall people just tend to have a lower BRMI but it is not universal. One of the longest lived humans was about 200cm (6' 7'') tall and had a massive head.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsifal

haidut said:
post 99635
Parsifal said:
post 99618 I've often read that tall people have shorter lifespan and weak hearth.

It's the ratio of brain mass to body mass that matters. A sort of "brain mass index" (BRMI) that you want to be as high as possible. Tall people just tend to have a lower BRMI but it is not universal. One of the longest lived humans was about 200cm (6' 7'') tall and had a massive head.

Is it possible to grow bigger brain later in life? Isn't it called encephalization quotient as well?

Marine animals that eat a lot of DHA seems to have bigger EQ (there is even a scientist, Michael Crawford that has a theory of how the human brain evolved with eating more DHA as I posted here https://raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 759#p96759)? In my experience DHA is not so good on my brain though, carbs are better :mrgreen:.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Parsifal said:
post 99646
haidut said:
post 99635
Parsifal said:

Is it possible to grow bigger brain later in life? Isn't it called encephalization quotient as well?

Marine animals that eat a lot of DHA seems to have bigger EQ (there is even a scientist, Michael Crawford that has a theory of how the human brain evolved with eating more DHA as I posted here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7604&p=96759#p96759)? In my experience DHA is not so good on my brain though, carbs are better :mrgreen:.

Glucose, progesterone, pregnenolone and thyroid have all been shown to increase brain size even in adulthood. Some studies in rats show vitamin K2 (MK-4) can do the same.

jaa

haidut said:
Glucose, progesterone, pregnenolone and thyroid have all been shown to increase brain size even in adulthood. Some studies in rats show vitamin K2 (MK-4) can do the same.

I've been taking ~15mg of K2 topically for the past week and noticed my skull is a little tender. It could be related to other postural things I'm working on but I'm going to assume my brain is getting bigger.

haidut said:
post 99655
Parsifal said:
post 99646
haidut said:
post 99635
Parsifal said:

Marine animals that eat a lot of DHA seems to have bigger EQ (there is even a scientist, Michael Crawford that has a theory of how the human brain evolved with eating more DHA as I posted here https://raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 759#p96759)? In my experience DHA is not so good on my brain though, carbs are better :mrgreen:.

Any links you can share? I want to explore this; so far what I've read that's similar is Peat talking about injecting progesterone or glucose into unhatched chickens, causing continued brain development.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals