Height Is Dependent On Diet Quality, Not Genes

sugarbabe

I would rather be short than have giganticism. I took growth hormone shots for 4 yrs and now have madelung's wrist deformity and size 9 feet, but did make it to 5'1... now 5'2.

ScurveDream

I took growth hormone shots for 4 yrs and now have madelung's wrist deformity and size 9 feet

I've always thought that feet and hand size have to do with GH and similar effects like estrogen and its role in water/cells, fat, metabolism, genes and etc. I also read and (somewhat) corroborated the idea that things like the nose, ears, cartilage, bones and even muscle mass/stature itself can be correlated to levels of growth hormones and other similar factors, questioning the idea of what "proper growth" should mean if we only consider the "result" the important factor rather than all of the processes (or downsides) which lead there. You can be tall or not tall and I do not think it's always related to one thing (same with "base" muscle mass or edema, which can sometimes be considered possibly the same thing to an effect). Some vouch all for genes, for example, while others say it's all diet quality, but truthfully it's probably so many things interacting that controlling for one or treating one as a "sole" deciding factor is probably fruitless.

Some women have reported shoe size increases (essentially feet growing) during and then post pregnancy, which can be a messy, stressful cascade of hormone changes, signaling and bio-physiological effects. If stress and pregnancy can alter feet size then it seems not too far off to assume size and growth itself in some is a result of a lot of stresses and physiological effects taking place in certain ways, which renders the idea that bigness, fullness or stature, musculature or development of a certain caliber must always be seen as "good" just because development has taken place to a certain degree (especially in puberty) where some praise growth spurts or such blindly in young people as an example.

Some praise a strong, big jaw because it's "masculine" (in males) but I've seen no solid evidence that a big jaw is merely the result of testosterone and not also estrogen, growth hormones/IGF, insulin, T3 and the pituitary itself (which can be a double-edged sword depending on how you look at its role in growth/development). Makes sense since some people could have weaker jaws because they have more anti-estrogen effects in some parts of life vs. others who may not, thus liberating said effects on tissue more strongly and unopposed compared to those with more "protective" forces against some paths of growth factors. Sometimes it's not "good" or "bad" maybe but some of each -- some more thyroid at times and GH, and also the opposite, at varying degrees depending on the person and their standing, environment and structure/balance.

What really irks me is just how some look at some features and declare you "genetically inferior" because you are not big or "full" looking enough, bony/thick and/or swollen/puffy looking like some bodybuilders who have loads of edema and etc. but look more "built" in a positive way to some. I'd rather look skinny than be puffy/swollen with edema from lots of roids, GH, estrogen and excessive stressing or stressors in the body + the ignorance of the harms of an overactive pituitary and cumulative damage over time from such correlations with some "looks." I basically think "big boned" people just have had more GH/estrogen activity influencing their bones rather than the mainstream idea that they're merely just "genetically bonier" or "purely more masculine/pretty," or even more "genetically fit" (whatever that implies in the grand scheme of things) or something of that likeness. I mean it's one thing to notice something you may like, but that's not the same thing as understanding what goes behind the making of it in a deeper sense, what with the consideration of trade-offs and false signals of "goods" (i.e. liking something but said thing isn't entirely beneficial across the spectrum of biological, evolutionary or just even basic moral or human-influenced usefulness/gains vs. downsides in things like sexual selection as well).

So to the main focus of discussion in this thread I'd say it's not so much whether height depends on one thing vs. another, but what height implies (or could imply )as with many other co-factors in development, evolution, bioenergetics and humanity/existence as a whole.

ScurveDream

@ScurveDream I don't quite understand the last segment of your post.

The highlighted part to be specific.

Just that what height is supposed to represent (in a presumably ideal context) or be worshipped or valued for can be misunderstood as solely beneficial when you factor in what can sometimes be responsible for it, i.e., downsides in development/physiology (which can be applied to anything).

There is more to something being good or desirable in the bigger picture than just immediate, knee-jerk responses to how we see things and what we make sense/meaning of them as a result.

GelatinGoblin

Just that what height is supposed to represent (in a presumably ideal context) or be worshipped or valued for can be misunderstood as solely beneficial when you factor in what can sometimes be responsible for it, i.e., downsides in development/physiology (which can be applied to anything).
I have an analogy for this then, tell me if it is accurate: A bigger chest on a woman may be the thing for some people but it generally means an Estrogenic environment during some stage of development.
There is more to something being good or desirable in the bigger picture than just immediate, knee-jerk responses to how we see things and what we make sense/meaning of them as a result.
Care to show some examples?

ScurveDream

I have an analogy for this then, tell me if it is accurate: A bigger chest on a woman may be the thing for some people but it generally means an Estrogenic environment during some stage of development.

Care to show some examples?

I don't know if estrogen in development has to strongly do with breast size directly (or to what end) but probably plays a role. Bigger chests can come with fatness, endotoxin, bacteria and metabolic issues (and probably some other things I can't think of now), as an aside from just more normal sized or average sized women/their proportions with bigger ones relative to others.

A male peacock can have big and pretty feathers, but those can make them easier targets for predatory attempts of others; so it is not exactly a "win-win" cost-to-benefit ratio between sexual selection, mating and overall convenience or benefit in its immediate social world or world as a whole.

GelatinGoblin

I don't know if estrogen in development has to strongly do with breast size directly (or to what end) but probably plays a role. Bigger chests can come with fatness, endotoxin, bacteria and metabolic issues (and probably some other things I can't think of now), as an aside from just more normal sized or average sized women/their proportions with bigger ones relative to others.

A male peacock can have big and pretty feathers, but those can make them easier targets for predatory attempts of others; so it is not exactly a "win-win" cost-to-benefit ratio between sexual selection, mating and overall convenience or benefit in its immediate social world or world as a whole.
I understand now, thank you