DHEA - Oral or Sublingual or Topical?

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
After reading this excellent overview, https://www.zrtlab.com/blog/archive/difference-dhea-dheas-brain-health/,
I distilled some its contents to this:
Topical DHEA goes directly into the bloodstream and does not undergo first-pass metabolism through the liver (no sulfation). It then crosses into the brain and is converted to DHEA-S in the brain. DHEA-S cannot cross into the brain.
Troche (sublingual) DHEA goes directly into the bloodstream and does not undergo first-pass metabolism through the liver (no sulfation). It then crosses into the brain and is converted to DHEA-S in the brain.
Oral DHEA undergoes first pass metabolism in the liver where it is converted to DHEA-S (sulfated). It then cannot cross into the brain, but is available to other tissues.

DHEA = dehydroepiandrosterone
DHEA-S = dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate - 98% of DHEA in the body is DHEA-S

So, does the above suggest that, if one is going to take DHEA, that a combo of topical/troche AND oral is the best option, to get a mix of DHEA and DHEA-S in the body and the brain?
Paul

Don’t forget the natural form of DHEA….

“Orgasms improve blood flow to the brain and raise DHEA levels (remember the chemical that promotes bone health and tissue repair?), improving brain function and memory. It is also associated with better cognition and potentially less dementia as you age.”

Don’t forget the natural form of DHEA….

“Orgasms improve blood flow to the brain and raise DHEA levels (remember the chemical that promotes bone health and tissue repair?), improving brain function and memory. It is also associated with better cognition and potentially less dementia as you age.”

This is very true: orgasms increased the DHEA/cortisol ratio tremendously. However, the testosterone to cortisol ratio was lowered.
Here is the study:

Topical I think is the best, as it goes through the skin first - the skin contains lots of steroidgenic enzymes, like 5- Alpha reductase. this leads to more DHT and less estrogen from topical use.

OP
A

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Topical I think is the best, as it goes through the skin first - the skin contains lots of steroidgenic enzymes, like 5- Alpha reductase. this leads to more DHT and less estrogen from topical use.
Thanks.
Would the same be true of pregenolone? Topical is best, because of what you said above? I would want preg to turn into a healthy mix of progesterone and DHEA.

OP
A

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Pregnenolone topically, goes less into progesterone, Haidut said.
So, Pregnenolone topically, goes less into progesterone and more into DHEA?
Does that mean that Pregnenolone orally goes more into progesterone and less into DHEA?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals