Darkness & Light & Madness

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Sadly that's an exception rather than the rule in the UK in winter!
Winter has it’s challenges. Even the sunny days in California it can be cold or windy. I feel the difference between the seasons.

Peater

Winter has it’s challenges. Even the sunny days in California it can be cold or windy. I feel the difference between the seasons.

How long does winter last in California? In my mind I picture it as a similar climate to the Canary Islands.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
How long does winter last in California? In my mind I picture it as a similar climate to the Canary Islands.
We get sun the majority of days, but there is more dark time than in the summer. The nights get cold too in the winter, even freezing in Southern California. It snowed real good in early Spring of this year. Here is my backyard, and I live about 45 minutes from the beach.

Attachments

• 752DD978-0E6B-42D1-9637-DED4541BC9CE.jpeg
    752DD978-0E6B-42D1-9637-DED4541BC9CE.jpeg
    870.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 40C913AE-2F4F-4B51-A309-0495BF084D67.jpeg
    40C913AE-2F4F-4B51-A309-0495BF084D67.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 0A9C0F34-50C5-49C2-AE02-2FBAE6E66FF8.jpeg
    0A9C0F34-50C5-49C2-AE02-2FBAE6E66FF8.jpeg
    638.5 KB · Views: 14

Peater

We get sun the majority of days, but there is more dark time than in the summer. The nights get cold too in the winter, even freezing in Southern California. It snowed real good in early Spring of this year. Here is my backyard, and I live about 45 minutes from the beach.

Cool pics! I suppose I can't really complain seeing as we are on the same latitude as Canada...they know about cold!

Roll on summer....

Attachments

• IMG_20220710_132118881.jpg
    IMG_20220710_132118881.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
OP
Rinse & rePeat
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“As expected, those patients with phobias or anxieties about leaving safe spaces were strongly linked to much lower mobility and a much smaller activity area. Yet no other symptoms of mental health issues appeared to have the same effect on a patient's daily movements.

In contrast, higher levels of emotional wellbeing and, to a lesser extent, psychological flexibility were consistently associated with more movement and a greater variety of movement.

"Our results suggest that activity alone is not enough to reduce symptoms of mental disorders, but can at least improve subjective wellbeing," explained clinical and health psychologist Andrew Gloster from the University of Basel at the time.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“While foods and supplements may be helpful, UV light is the way that our bodies naturally produce our own vitamin D. UV light is divided into three distinct ranges of wavelengths, called bands, based on the properties of each band. Only one of these bands, UVB with a wavelength of 280-315 nm, actually stimulates the production of vitamin D.

UVB light is produced naturally by the sun, but much of this light is absorbed by the atmosphere, with about 5% of it actually reaching the surface of the earth. More UVB light from the sun is available when the sun is directly overhead, as the light has to travel through less of the atmosphere. UVB light is also in greater abundance during the summer months, when the sun is more directly overhead and is present for longer during the day.

An excellent app that can be used to help you know when the sun is strong enough to make Vitamin D is called DMinder.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A prior study by the same authors demonstrated that vitamin D deficiency in childhood can reliably cause schizophrenia later on. So, this implies that it is dopamine deficiency (and this serotonin excess) that drives schizophrenia, which directly contradicts the established hypothesis/dogma. The exact same situation is now becoming more widely accepted to be the case with serotonin and depression - i.e. high, now low, serotonin drives depression. But wait, it gets better. Not only do we now have evidence that simple, OTC and cheap substance such as vitamin D can prevent/treat psychotic states such as schizophrenia, we also have the plausible mechanism of action, and once again it implicates serotonin as the cause of this pathology. Namely, vitamin D is known to inhibit the enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase (TPH), which is responsible for the synthesis of serotonin. In other words, vitamin D is both a serotonin synthesis inhibitor and dopamine synthesis stimulant (as the study below demonstrated). This effect has remarkably broad applicability spanning not just mental disorders but virtually all diseases known to medicine. No wonder there are studies out there demonstrating beneficial effects from vitamin D on virtually all chronic, and acute conditions, including ones related to physical injury/trauma.”

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
@lionsmane311 said this interesting thing in his thread, linked below…

“I remember Haidut quoting Ray Peat saying the brains of schizophrenics is too tired to even develop cancer.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Q: Is sunlight still beneficial if you use a safe sun blocker?

“The popular chemical sun blockers are meant to stop the ultraviolet rays. If they can do that, without increasing the risk of
melanoma, then they are very beneficial, because this will allow you to get a long exposure to direct sunlight, which penetrates deeply and has an anti-stress effect. But so far, there is no research that shows any of the chemical ultraviolet blockers is safe.”
-Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals