*NEW* vitamin D information everyone needs to know!

David PS

in your experience, do you think the vitD lamp could produce a tan if used often/long enough?

Doc Sandoz

Right on,

I like that approach. Do you have a particular sun "protection" routine for before/after sun exposure to avoid/help with burns, or do you mainly limit exposure length?
No sun protection - defeats the purpose. My skin tans easily so no risk of burn with a half hour or so exposure. As I get more tan, I increase time in the sun so I continue to get a full dose of D. I wear only shorts and turn like a rotisserie in slow motion to expose the most skin as evenly as possible. When skin reddens and/or I start to feel it tingle, I'm done for the day. It's too much at one time that causes burns.

Peatress

Vitamin D, Deep sleep & Gut Bacteria w/ Dr. Stasha Gominak​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74F22bjBmqE

0:00 Intro
02:29 Hundreds of Dr. Gominak’s patients, children, teenagers and young healthy females, didn’t have REM sleep.
04:42 Sleep apnea, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue were not recognized in the 1960s and 1970s, because they were not epidemic.
07:21 Vitamin D and the brain stem are major players in deep sleep.
10:03 You must be paralyzed in order to achieve the proper levels of sleep.
14:21 Why would an 8 year old have more than one sleep disorder?
16:02 There has been a major historical shift from living/working/playing outside.
17:07 Once you replace vitamin D, the body slowly changes from a vitamin D deficient body to a B deficient body.
18:08 While bears hibernate, their microbiome consumes the colonic mucus, which makes all of the B vitamins to meet the bear’s metabolic needs during hibernation. Does ours?
22:05 Why Did It Take 2 Years to Become B Deficient?
23:44 Each B vitamin has an intestinal bacterial source and a food source.
26:02 Wanted: Gut Bugs
31:39 You can fix your own bacteria with vitamin D levels above 40 and take B100 or B50 for 3 months.
32:58 The sodium linked multivitamin transport system pumps 3 vitamins, pantothenic acid, alpha lipoic acid and biotin, into our digestive system and our brain.
36:24 Dr. Gominak sees a correlation between autism and vitamin D deficiency.
38:27 The development of sexual dysmorphism and sleep.
42:34 When a child cannot get out of bed in the morning, this is may be the brain demanding that they go back to sleep to get REM.
44:03 A lack of REM sleep cheats a child of their normal development.
47:15 Children and adults normally make small subtle movements and tiny vocalizations, not talking, walking or falling out of bed.
48:27 Taking the Weston A. Price westernization theory to another level.
56:02 Breastfeeding enlarges nasal passages.
57:28 Dr. Gominak believes that vitamin D is trophic to the bacteria that we are supposed to have in our gut.
59:24 Pantothenic acid not only makes acetylcholine, it makes cortisol.
60:11 Acetylcholine is a chemical used by the vagus nerve.
01:07:46 A test result of pantothenic acid levels will parallel magnesium levels. It tells you what is in the blood, but not what is in the stores.
01:09:10 Perhaps we are completely self-healing with REM sleep.
01:12:26 Dr. Gominak’s Morning Routine
01:13:31 The ketogenic diet helps people to live longer. Being ketogenic during REM sleep helps us repair. We were probably designed to go into ketosis for at least 12 hours every night.
01:15:08 A new theory is that the tricarboxylic acid/CREB cycle, which is used when you are using fats as your energy supply, may have a different purpose. It may not be about making ATP.
0101:19:33 Dr. Gominak’s desert island herb, nutrient or supplement: Her choice is vitamin D, even on a desert island.
01:30:35 Dr. Gominak’s Elevator Pitch: We can impact our children, especially children of color. It they don’t go outside, they don’t make enough vitamin D.

Last edited:

Peatress

On her website Gorminak says

"About 1 in 50 people only need 2,000 IU/day. Every single person must have vitamin D blood levels done several times during the first year of supplementation to see what dose they need to maintain their vitamin D blood level at 60-80 ng/ml, (where best sleep occurs)."

This level is much higher than Peat recommended.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Peatress, thank you. I’m getting mine checked soon. When she talks about D feeding our bugs I can definitely relate. The summer I started doing morning, afternoon and evening sun exposure I had terrible gas!!!

Peatress

@Peatress, thank you. I’m getting mine checked soon. When she talks about D feeding our bugs I can definitely relate. The summer I started doing morning, afternoon and evening sun exposure I had terrible gas!!!
I can’t recall how I felt when I first supplemented D (around 2010). My blood level started dropping again around 2020 and I can’t figure out why – perhaps it was due to not spending as much time outdoors as I used do. I did a test last Dec and it was pitifully low. I’m supplementing again now – I’m always bloated regardless.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Peatress, please keep us posted. Low D feels terrible. My lowest was 19 and I never want to go through that again which is why I tend to use a tanning bed regularly a little in winter. I wonder if she recommends any probiotics temporarily while getting D up?

Peatress

@Peatress, please keep us posted. Low D feels terrible. My lowest was 19 and I never want to go through that again which is why I tend to use a tanning bed regularly a little in winter. I wonder if she recommends any probiotics temporarily while getting D up?
I heard her say probiotics were not helpful.

I will try adding taurine

Did you find a lab in the UK to get this test done?
I searched at the time and couldn't find anywhere to do that particular test.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Peatress, were you able to get your level tested? I finally did and my result was 63.7 and I’m happy with that. I used the tanning bed less than 5 times during the 2022-2023 winter. In February of this year I added a low dose 1,000 IU supplement several days per week just having a hunch I needed a little. I’m starting to get natural sun on my days off again. I’m going to retest in September or October after summer is over to see where I’m at going into the fall/winter. I’m thinking of doing nothing for vitamin D and testing in January of 24 to see where I’m at naturally without sun or supplements. I’d just like to know how quickly and how low it drops.

Peatress

This is great @Blossom I haven't tested mine again yet. I'm probably going to wait till the end of summer to test. I've been thinking about why my level took a nose dive in 2021. It seems to be around the same time as I was getting edema and wondered if that could account for the lower readings. The edema hasn't completely resolved so I am not sure if it's worth testing until it's improved.